Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Round one

Marian Gra Guest

Default Re: Round one

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #15... Imagine that lot on an Abandon Ship for real. JS
    Think you would find John they would be helped over the side fairly quick, with or without a lifeboat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    After spending 43 years at sea the last thing on my agenda is going on a cruise.This is my preferred method of seeing places of interest these days , just picked this up last weekend. I may have to ask the boss about the September meet up with the lads again, heavy hints being thrown they want to do the route Napoleon ummmm!!!
    Lewis, if on your Ireland trip and you are anywhere near Foynes, stop off and have a look see at the small seaplane museum there, if it's still going. The flying boats that crossed the Atlantic used to take off from the Shannon at Foynes
    Small town with only a couple of bars that back in 2005 never seemed to close.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th February 2018 at 01:09 AM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Foynes that name rang a bell, cannot remember which ship I was on but we loaded a part cargo of MUD it was used I think as lubricant for drill heads in the oil drilling business.
    An old Bibby hand I sailed with is the chief engineer for the port of Limerick, John made C/Eng with Bibby Line by the time he was 27 I think it was. I must have been doing something right as I was his mentor from first trip cadet right through to him leaving Bibby for pastures new.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In reply to #20, there are currently some 73 ships either being built or designed for the industry which is the fastest growing tourist industry.

From experience, and no doubt Kong will confirm, there has been little change with the premium cruise lines when it comes to food and entertainment.

But some, P&O Australia is one, have cut back to the bare bones in order to attract at extremely low prices.
    Wage costs on them is I am told much lower than with many other companies as they pay at the lowest rate possible.

It comes down to knowing the companies and what they offer, no different from ashore, you get what you pay for.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21... Marian in the North Sea in winter time the life expectancy is about 5 minutes in the water. Out here up on the NW shelf is about 5 seconds on occasions. Remember the first year out here were doing an exercise of man overboard from rig. Before the FRC crew got there a shark beat them to it and all that was left to recover was a torn old orange boiler suit. The shark must have mistaken the straw stuffing for suet pudding. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23.. Did 3 swings out of Fenit at the mouth of the Shannon, a small port for mainly fishing boats which dried out at low water. The port you mention was up there at times loading what you call mud which was oil based and more expensive than petrol. we used to take literally a couple of hundred tons at a time to a Sedco rig 101 .25 nautical miles due west from Fenit in the North Atlantic. A lot of rigs latterly were able to make their own mud from Barytes and I think Bentonite was also used somewhere in the equation. What the formula was haven't a clue, but cost wise it must have been cheaper at one time to make ashore. If in that part of the world you are only a kick in the pants from Tralee well worth going there for the races if nothing else. That part of Ireland in the late 70"s was well inplanted with IRA squads. The pubs not to visit were told so as not to cause trouble. JS

Lewis McColl Guest

Last time I was in Tralee they were just having the festival for the Rose of Tralee, I wonder if it is still going? I was with my first wife andSteven and his red wellies.jpg and our son Steven, he loved his red wellies.
    The one on the pony is at Dingle and me mum and my Grandpa Lewis. The good looking lad at the back is meself when I had a good head of hair.lol
    As my mum used to say just before she passed , I see you are washing your face further back these days son lol.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 19th February 2018 at 11:06 AM.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, j.sabourn liked this post
    Marian Gra Guest

''Rose of Tralee'', Used to watch that on TV in the 80's lots of ladies of Irish descent visiting the ole country for a bachelor with his own small holding.....Some barely had a few hectares but all had hair growing from every facial orifice and a suit? that had seen better days if at all!. 'Twas like stepping back in time to the 1950's where all the women sat around in a spartan hall whilst the the men eyed them up. The narration regarding their expectations from both sides was priceless. Cannot find a clip from that time, probably deleted....but here's an upmarket version when they had got their act together, still pretty cringeworthy though....

Gabby Logan ( Gabrielle Yorath ) 'Rose of Tralee' Festival - 1991 ...
    Video for youtube clip,Gabby Logan ( Gabrielle Yorath ) 'Rose of Tralee' Festival - 1991▶ 6:26
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXyeycVt9Nw
    Last edited by Marian Gra; 19th February 2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: formatting

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back to the original post, punch ups can occur through fresh air, kt

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...r_man_farting/

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Picking up the Shannon pilot early one morning to take us to Foynes, he arrived on the bridge looking slightly the worse for wear. After about his third coffee I asked him if he had had a busy night doing pilotage. No, he replied, i finished at nine last night so dropped into the pub for a pint after my last job and who should be there but sheamus o Neil, you know him don't you. Join replied but that must have been nice to meet an old friend. Yes it was, he replied, in fact I've just left him there, hence my need for coffee.
    So that was it, I had been there before, Fitness not the pub, so I ended up doing my own pilotage till the Foynes pilot came on, whilst the Shannon pilot made coffee, chatted to me and gave the odd hint on course to steer. Apart from leaving and having to face the North Atlantic swells on a 5,000 ton chemical tanker, the run up to Rounds was one of the best we had. Used to take mixed chemicals for Irish Fertilizer or Caustic for the Aluminium plant nearby at Auginish.
    Rgds.
    J.A.
    Last edited by John Arton; 19th February 2018 at 01:05 PM.

17. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast