Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Q.E. 2, end of an era

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Q.E. 2, end of an era

Did anyone watch the chanel 5 two part documentary on the Q.E.2 ? The first part covered it's design and build. She was revolutionary in design, being built as a trans Atlantic liner but also as a cruise liner. From her launch she was an immediate success on the Atlantic crossings as well as on her cruises. In both episodes a number of crew were shown and interviewed. The second episode showed her history, including her part in the Falklands war, up to her sale. It covered her engineering failures and also her two mega overhauls where she was re. Engines and also the refurbishment that was a bit of a disaster. When those balcony cabins were added, that became the template for all modern cruise liners with the large number of decks with outside balcony cabins. It also showed how Cuņard publicity department came up with many money making ideas. She was a good money maker for Cunard for most of her life and it was only her age and much. Increased running and maintenance costs that led to her sale. Many of her design ideas and layout formed the basis for the design of her successor the Queen Mary 2.
    Rgds
    J.A.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Q.E. 2, end of an era

I have been on Seven world Cruises on QE2.
    A magnificent vessel.
    It was like an exclusive club. every time we went on board we knew everyone, same people every trip.
    Made many friends on there who we still keep in touch with in the USA. The Masters were always approachable and friendly, We have been invited to the Captains cabin quite a few times for private cocktail Parties. very nice.
    We did the final world cruise on her in 2008, she was in the prcess of being sold to the Arab, I was talking to Mike McCartny, brother of Paul of the Beatles, I tried to persuade him to get his brothe to buy it and have it in a laggon at the Pier Head in Liverpool similar to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, she went for a miserable 50, million as she was, not even a knife and fork was allowed to be taken off,on Board is a magnificent Memorial to the Falklands War.
    Now no one cares. she is covered in dust.and rotting away. soon Agana Beach, a tragedy.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It just shows how the design and requirements of modern day shipping can so quickly change.
    In her day she was state of the art, but within a few short years the demand of passengers became such that with all the changes she could no longer provide what was required.
    A most remarkable ship of great quality, but like all before her, and after, her days were numbered.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are some memorable photos of the QE2,

Past Masters of QE2 with the Queen on board QE2,
    A Service I organised with Captain Ron Warwick over the site of the Gloucester Castle that a friend ,17 year old Joe Farnworth was killed on ,in 1942 and when our Lou was taken prisoner, just south of Ascension Island.
    Me posing at the wheel on QE2.
    Our Lord John making a fool of himself in the Queens Room on QE2
    And on the Final World Cruise on the 96th anniversary of the sinking of Titanic, we stopped above the site and had a Service on deck, Wreaths were cast into the Sea, and then the US Coast Guard Plane flew over us and dropped more wreaths. the nearest Ice Berg was 25 miles away.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 15th February 2018 at 11:26 AM.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Here are some memorable photos of the QE2,

Past Masters of QE2 with the Queen on board QE2,
    A Service I organised with Captain Ron Warwick over the site of the Gloucester Castle that a friend ,17 year old Joe Farnworth was killed on ,in 1942 and when our Lou was taken prisoner, just south of Ascension Island.
    Me posing at the wheel on QE2.
    Our Lord John making a fool of himself in the Queens Room on QE2
    And on the Final World Cruise on the 96th anniversary of the sinking of Titanic, we stopped above the site and had a Service on deck, Wreaths were cast into the Sea, and then the US Coast Guard Plane flew over us and dropped more wreaths. the nearest Ice Berg was 25 miles away.
    Cheers
    Brian
    I suppose the poor chap was tired hearing the same old stories over and over again,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[I]Lewis,I suppose the poor chap was tired hearing the same old stories over and over again[/I]

are you being Sarcastic again?
    ?

He got a free cruise in return for a few lectures, But none of the Americans could understand his accent, and so I was informed that he went on the booze and eventually confined to his cabin.
    Not the most popular of people I have had occaision with him.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 16th February 2018 at 02:08 AM.

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Brian , why would you think I am being sarcastic? show me were is the sarcasm is in my post. Have you never nodded off when you are bored?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear old QE2 has just spent two weeks in Dubai dry dock, has had all the paint blasted off for only the 3rd time in her life, and now with totally fresh coats, she looks like new!
    All hull openings (stabiliser openings, bow thruster tunnel doors, suctions & overboards, etc,) have been welded shut, and the two props removed for mounting & display ashore. The photos shown so far of remodelled cabins and bars look pretty impressive, and the Hotel QE2 should be open for business soon.

Skilly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Longest paying off pennant in our Merchant Navy history regarding the Queens. Q.E2. Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

14. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am glad to see some effort has been made to preserve it the aluminium superstructure I believe was the first of it's kind and even though its not preserved in the United Kingdom at least somebody saving what I regard as an iconic ship
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast