Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: British Workers Aboard Cruise Ships.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British Workers Abourd Cruise Ships.

#1... Jim I don’t know the rules to issuing of discharge books today. But whilst on a Norwegian seismic ship, one of the seismic crew, who are not part of the marine crew
    One came up to me with a brand new British Discharge Book and wanted me to give him an ABs discharge. I refused and told him to see his camp boss to sign. He no doubt called me a basket, but to me he came under someone’s else’s discipline and was not up to me to acknowledge him as a marine crew member. Right or wrong I refused and never heard no more about it. However I don’t think the emphasis is on a discharge books like the old days. A lot of foc ships was not even necessary to have one. A passport will suffice. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2018 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On Royal Caribbean life boat drill all passengers must go to their appointed life boat.
    Any one not attending will be put off and I did see it happen once in Sydney.
    P&O gather all passengers into the theatre.

Princess gather passengers at their allocated life boat station which may be one of the bars or lounges.
    Life jackets are no longer required, under international law, top be taken to life boat drill.

On all Princess ships there are multi lockers along the promenade deck, where life boats would be loaded, and each life boat had 150 life jackets on board.
    One for each of maximum passengers allowed on the boat.

There are a number of UK officers in deck and engine along with a couple of skippers and staff captains with Princess.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As said in a previous post I am one of those on here who has no idea of the working of a passenger ship with large amounts of people on board. However saying that most well run ships of the common garden variety are run on delegation of duties to others. The master would never think of telling the chief engineers his duties as Would not have the knowledge, and this works right down the line to the various departments. I would imagine it would have been the pursers or someone of a like minded person who advised the master to kick passengers off the vessel. I also imagine the master on a passenger vessel is more of a figurehead than on other vessels and more inclined to obey company doctrine which the old man on other vessels was a law unto himself, if he had any sense however he also delegated others to cope with ships husbandry. The master on any ship his first duty is to safety of life and he is there to represent the owners of the vessel. Being master on a tramp and master on a passenger vessel this is about the only common denominator that I can see. Cheers JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just checked in my discharge book, and if my memory is correct, when i took my AB ticket, and as i did not do the EDH ticket, the lifeboat ticket was done a week before my AB, so it was a one week course i am sure. What about today ??, do the entertainment staff have lifeboat tickets. I have read on here that on leaving sea schools now, they come out qualified as EDH, so presumably they also come from sea school with lifeboat tickets ???, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref posts 5 Brian, you should have produced your lifeboat ticket, and said to her, ill show you mine if you will show me yours !!!!!!, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Ref posts 5 Brian, you should have produced your lifeboat ticket, and said to her, ill show you mine if you will show me yours !!!!!!, kt
    on them passenger boats she probably had a bigger one than brian ......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy.... There were big ones, small ones, some as big as your head, you give them a twist a flick of the wrist, that’s what the showman said. JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something else comes to mind regarding crew on cruise ships now.

Shop crew, photographers, entertainment members, child minders etc are all provided by agencies very many coming from UK.

But I now question the situation with other crew, bedroom stewards, wingers, cooks, barmen, deck hands etc.

All now are usually on 9 month contracts, at the end of which the company pays their fare home. Two months leave is the norm and if the company wants them will offer them a new 9 month contract, but the crew member has to pay his fare back to the ship.
    They may return to a different ship or the same depending on company needs.

There is no 'Pool' as such all crew initially apply in their country of origin to an agency commissioned by the cruise company to find crew for them.

Many ships fly the Red Ensign but are registered in the Bahamas, mainly Hamilton.

Now the question, are these crew members recognized as Merchant Seamen or just as contracted workers?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1990 I was taking the BOWBELLE, through the Downs, from Newhaven to the Thames, I wanted to make the tide,so took the short cut inside the Goodwins.
    There is a dogs leg just before Ramsgate. Another ship south bound and we were going to meet at the bouys on the bend.
    I told the AB to go on the wheel, and then as we approaced I said to him ease her over to starboard to give him a bit more sea room,
    He went Hard a port, Right across his bows , across the channel and outside the buoy as I knocked him to the deck as I grabbed the wheel to bring her back, The other ship just missed my starboard quarter, With all kinds of abuse from the other ship
    I sorted it all out and steadied her up on the new course.
    I got the AB and he said he didnt know what starboard was. it was his first trip to sea, only on board for a few hours and had never been on a ship before. I checked , he really did have a British MN ABs Certificate,
    He said he did a two week course at Gravesend School, and got a Lifeboat and an AB Certificates.
    I got rid of him the following day, they are a menace.
    So it is Not just foreign ships it is also the British MN that have inexperienced "seamen" complete with Certification and no idea what to do,
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 12th February 2018 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Discharge book in our time served the purpose of a C,V. and was a continuous record of a seaman’s record for use of himself and of the BSF. It contained all relevant information cert. numbers,NHI number, Next ofkin and was useful in many ways. With the decline in British Shipping and also the Federation, I don’t think today the seaman’s book bears much relevence to anything. Agreements being in some cases signed in the company’s offices. in place of the Federation you had the various maritime unions who took the place of the federation on supplying crews in Oz, So as the federation was a consortium of shipowners, government, and a smattering of unions as a watchdog, the dice were always loaded. As said before I found the Australian way much more leaning towards the seafarers benefits. Today however this has been lost or shortly will by the complacency of the same workers losing most of the benefits being lost through lack of representation, so the wheel is starting to turn once again.with the entry into Europe as regards the uk was disasteruous for the shiipping industry among many others. Would imagine with the federation Discharge books are a thing of the past, and if not, soon will be. Asto these passenger liners sailing under what some call the red ensign of Nassau etc. I would say they are sailing under false colours. Certainly they are to the unsuspecting public. These ships are as alien to Britain as a man from Mars. JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th February 2018 at 12:47 AM.

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast