Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Cruise

Captain Bob, makes me smile too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you want real to join on Cruise ship try Mass CV. This seaman job site has current vacancies for seafarers and other maritime staff. Seaman Job at Sea, Vacancies and Jobs for Seafarers Maritime Jobsite

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The standard joke was that you didn't sign on the Captain Cook
    or the Georgic you weighed in.

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the GEORGIC in 1955, you had to do 15 rounds with the Shipping Master before he would let you sign on.
    I wrote the story of that voyage .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably because they know they can pirate the system any time. During one conflict, the tugs at Abbot Point noticed that on some Sunday mornings the GPS on both tugs would register the same distance out. Both tugs had ex deep sea masters who also taught navigation at the tafe, so knew what they were doing.

Driverless cars might be ok in highly congested areas but we can not even get continuous mobile phone coverage on all sections of the Pacific Highway up Australian East Cost, let alone on the long outback roads.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wood View Post
    Probably because they know they can pirate the system any time. During one conflict, the tugs at Abbot Point noticed that on some Sunday mornings the GPS on both tugs would register the same distance out. Both tugs had ex deep sea masters who also taught navigation at the tafe, so knew what they were doing.

Driverless cars might be ok in highly congested areas but we can not even get continuous mobile phone coverage on all sections of the Pacific Highway up Australian East Cost, let alone on the long outback roads.
    Colin, driverless trucks or battery powered ones area long way off yet.
    Can you imagine them going across the Nullabore?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the Empress of Canada I sailed with a captain who had a reputation for being a real martinet but passengers thought he was the bees knees, some 1st. Class passengers would only book a crossing if they knew he was in command. He was a 80 a Day Senior Service smoker using a cigarette holder and went through two bottles of gin a day without it seemingly to affect him in the slightest. I recall him bringing a 1st. Class passenger , a titled lady, onto the bridge at 0100 on morning, saying to her that it will be a good time to see the Northern Lights, which I thought was daft as up till then it had been overcast but as the pair of them walked out onto the bridge wing it was like someone had pulled the curtain's aside and there was a magnificent show of the Northern Lights. Bet that lady almost wet her knickers. He was a real example of how a passenger vessel Master should look and act according to public perception. It was only later, after the Empresses had been sold and I sailed with him on a VLCC and he told we of some of his war time experiences that despite his reputation his was a damm fine seaman and one who was prepared to pass on his experience and knowledge to any junior officer.
    Rgds.
    J.A.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5