Hi de Hi and her dreams of a yellow coat. Where have all the
    British seafarers gone?

2. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Cruise

Going back to those watch officers sitting around just staring at screens. Well in some ways I agree as COLREGS state "that all means available" should be used to avoid close quarters situations and also to keep a lookout. The only problem is that todays watch keepers have become over reliant on the electronics, which in the main can be trusted. However they always forget to regularly run routine checks on their equipment such as checking radar performance, gain settings etc. and on ECDIS checking that the correct vessel draft is entered into the machine in order to get the alarm settings for UKC correct.
    Nearly all of those errors (or faults) can be solved by looking out of the bridge windows first and screens secondly and believing what your eyes tell you other the electronics.
    rgds
    JA

4. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Ivan have the US Navy reverted to the sextant as they are in fear or are aware that the GPS could be knocked out by a foreign power or would they be able to use the GLONASS sat-nav system should the GPS be knocked out.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    I should imagine that also plays a large part of it Jim, but after 20 years someone has woken up to the fact that methods used for hundreds of years to guide ships around the world still have a part to play.

6. Likes Jim Brady, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

all the different uniforms on cruise ships the bucket queens uniforms dressed like the admiral of the fleet?? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The modern day cruise ship has a number of navigational aids and does not rely on just one. Two men on watch at any time, officer of the watch and a junior usually a cadet of the company.

I know some consider them to be a modern day Holliday camp' but never having been to Butlins I cannot comment on that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is the difference between then and now as regards seamanship, regarding navigational duties. As Ivan says the US Navy is re-introducing the sextant, whoever un-introduced it ??. The British Merchant Service was mainly self taught and the sextant, didn't have to do courses on the same. You learned to use it by going and doing, and asking people about it to find out. One got, or I did, 12 weeks at a sea school to put you in an examination mode, this was all the dole allowed. Not time to do the extended learning exercises you do now before ever going to sea. I see the big problem with the US navy as having instructors to teach such, as have not used for years. It was so self planted in my memory banks I can still remember most of it e.g. how many today could correct the sextant going through all its errors and how many remember how to correct the error for collination. The same as other seamanship problems if couldn't do a Liverpool splice went and asked an AB how to do. A ship was the best learning place in the world, could even learn how to drink there. I am a strong believer of learning the job on the job ( not that sort of job!!) If the US and any other country wants to re-introduce the sextant, all they have to do is find one who can use and stick him on a ship. JS

10. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15 That's where times have changed John. I don't know what the Bridge manning of passenger ships used to be like but your present one as described doesn't even come up to an Indian Crewed cargo ship of days gone by. If lucky enough to have a cadet he would have been elsewhere learning to be a sailor. The secunny would of been on the wheel, if had automatic steering he would be sitting in the wheelhouse repairing flags or polishing the binnacle but would not leave the bridge. If at night there was always a Kalassi on the bridge or on the focsle head. So unless you had a wheelman you are still one man short. Today on a British cargo ship you would have the mate or master, and if had auto steering that was your lot. So suppose the passenger ship is better manned bridge wise. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    The modern day cruise ship has a number of navigational aids and does not rely on just one.

t.
    Jeez John!! I wonder why I never thought of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, you'll be telling me next some of them even have two propellers and that they don't stop when it gets dark, eh bah gum, just goes to prove lad thee's never too old to larn!!

13. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Cunard and Canadian Pacific Empresses in the 50s, the bridge watch consisted of. two Mates, two Quartermasters and a Bridge Boy.
    Lookout up the mast in the crows nest.
    Cheers
    Brian

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my time at sea, 58-65 , on mainly cargo trampers, we always had mate, helmsman in restricted waters, lookout , and standby man. Once well clear we dropped the helmsman, but still had lookout at night and standby man, that and lots of lovely memories. Alas like most things it seems , down to money, shipping companies must be making absolute fortunes,not even paying a decent rate for the crew. Modern day slavery, kt

17. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast