Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: crew salaries on cruise ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Unions

It didnt have to be a FOC in the 50 and 60 and 70s coming into Australia. As mate it was a nightmare. every shackle had to have the stamp discernable and its certificate available, every cert. for block, wire, Guy ropes I used to put new rope in before arrival. The British shipowner did not like putting his ship in to Australia at these times. Derrick goose necks were a favourite of theirs if they wanted to be awkward. All these awkward B....s or their dependants you can now see sitting on the front bench of the Australian Parliament, I think if they are not out within the next year this country will be way ahead of Europe in the Doldrums. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,

The frustration was compounded when the vast majority of these so called officials did not know what they were looking at.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Who knows today?

Hi shipmates according to the book all officers pay rates were diffrent, so was the crew and overtime rates The basic pay on ships were diffrent? The seamans union rates? were only payed by some companys some payed more some less in the end no shipping company payed british union rates for rateings' on ferrys or passenger ships today employment agency pay them they rate? low as possible with no overtime.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Louis Amigo
    Here are the wage scales for July 1957. put it on zoom and you can read it better.
    The Pay varied as to the tonnage of the ship served on.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 15th July 2012 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are the wage scale for Engineers in July 1957
    Zoom in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Navigating Officers wage scales. July 1957. zoom to see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: crew salaries on cruise ships

i am surprised at 2 things mentioned in this thread - (1) gratuities = on all my cruises - as was stated in the brochures - they gave a guideline - gratuity guidelines which was self explanatory - as well as a assessment card - which you completed at the end of the voyage - the second (2) staffing of cruise ships = 3rd world is the term i have picked up here - all my cruises had foreign crews on board from different nationalities - and i can say categorically - every single one of my cruises - which i have to add - were from different shipping lines - the staff were - friendly - polite and went out of their way to make your cruise enjoyable - i had a mixture of old and new cruise ship experiences - so can find a balance here - a good friend - who works on the oasis of the seas- a ship i am do not like for the record - has been with them for years - has a lot to say about some passenger behavior - and their treatment towards staff and crew alike - this space does not afford the time for me to go into details - i have seen and experienced this myself - and their are a lot of passengers from certain parts of the world - that make for bad cruises - including my own home country - with complaint after complaint about the smallest thing - for the record my first cruise ship was a disaster - Betsy Ross x Leda - she was delayed - broke down - and smelly - BUT the shipping line DID refund our total fare and flights and hotel bills for the duration of our stay before and after the cruise - PLEASE NOTE i am only sharing my own personal experiences - and in no way intend to offend any remarks of other members - refer to attachments of the assessment and gratuity cards - both my collections

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to think that the crew were paid fair wages and that my ticket price reflected that , not an additional surcharge of tips needed to make the wages up ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

10. Thanks Ken Norton thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have never been able to understand why the Hotel / catering industry have always relied on genorosity by the customer for subsidising wages of its' staff, most have already paid a reasonable sum for the service, personally it becomes an annoyance. No other industry expects the customer to pay staff part of their wages in tip form to me it all comes down to greed by the owners of such services.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree with all that you say Ken - what also annoys me is the dictatorial * guide * to how much you are expected to pay in gratuities and to whom and the fact that employers take a percentage of those aforesaid gratuities. Thankfully I do not partake in Cruises as I would find all that very annoying. If everyone was required to pay gratuities to everyone who served us, from Police, Fire, Ambulance, to Shopkeepers, Dentists and Doctors it would be totally unacceptable so WHY should the Restaurant / Bar Trade /Hotel services be any different to other services. Its about time it was stopped, after all you pay enough for what you get without the need to pay gratuities as well. I am all for giving a tip to someone who has been very helpful but thats about all, things need a changing and these greedy employers made to pay a proper wage.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 14th October 2018 at 11:38 AM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast