Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Liners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cruise Liners

The ones I sail on is Holland America, in January I am on the world cruise again on the AMSTERDAM, 850 passengers, I have waited three years to get back on it on the waiting list, very popular done three world cruises on her. For over Two Months.
    in between I go on her sister ships to South Pacific.
    The best holiday money can buy, beats the hell of being stuck in the same hotel in the same street in the same town for two weeks. That must be incredibly boring.
    The Master Jonathan Mercer is British, ex Union Castle, the Officers are a mix of British and Dutch so all are very efficient and skilled .

I have done 12 cruises now with Holland America, excellent.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th November 2018 at 10:15 AM.

2. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apart from all the problems of trying to evacuate up to 5000 passengers from a cruise liner suffering from a major disaster, there seems to be a growing trend in passenger murder's and/or suicide.
    The latest incident occurred on P&O's Royal Princess ( the one that appeared in the t.v series "The Cruise") where a husband strangled his wife and then threw her off the top deck, she landed on top of a lifeboat 16 decks down smashing through its canopy that tore off one of her legs.
    So I guess the moral is don't go on a cruise with your partner just in case you fall out with them as the consequences could result in death.
    Rgds
    J.A.

4. Likes cappy, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

May be he can claim diminished responsibility due to Noro Virus . I am looking at a holiday in 2019 which involves a night on the ferry from Portsmouth- Santander, then a hotel and ferry return. That is mentioned as a Mini Cruise, so up goes my holiday insurance quote, as soon a s you mention *cruise* the insurance companies or skiing and they cringe, because of the cost they charge for medical treatment. A women i know who was affected badly on a cruise with Noro Virus went to the ships quack, who wanted over £80 for the injection, she refused, telling them that they had poisoned her and should be free, she did eventually get it free. Then of course their is an extra over 70-75, kt
    R689823

6. Likes cappy, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Insurance..
    I pay for the Two of us for ten weeks away and that is also for a twelve Month period, world wide, £360 for Two. That is through my bank.
    In 2013, in Honolulu Hawaii, I had to go to leave the ship after 7 days, with severe pains, and go to hospital, I had three weeks in hospital, two life saving operations, Anne had four weeks in a fabulous hotel and I also had the last week there, First Class airfare from Honolulu to Manchester, a chauffeured car from the airport to my home, , My cruise ship fare refunded.
    It all cost 85,000 Dollars, £65,000, The next year doing the same South Pacific cruise, the same fee £360, Nothing extra. I was 78 years old at the time
    In January still the same £360 and i am 83 years old. Insurance ?? no problem.
    Choose your cruise ship and itinerary wisely Not every ship has thousands of nut cases on, The ships I sale on we meet the same people every year, all regulars, so it must be good.and you have the very best vacation of your life. I would never dream of going anywhere else. it has Everything .
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th November 2018 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###i would say brian your insurance deal is good .....i pay now a similar amount for a years insurance for pat and i but it excludes cruising .....which of course is where the insurers lose on the amount of sickness and claims for hospitals on ships when the dreaded novo virus strikes so many 3 or 4 hundred claiming for lost holiday and compensations .....in my estimation it is too many people living in an air conditioned atmosphere ...all breathing the same air ......plus a duff meal off and on but they are building bigger cruise liners every month or so ......i also critisise the chance of getting boats away in nearly any sea condition as anyone who has had the misfortune to do this in any but a flat sea will know for merchant seamen it may not be accident free ...but for thousands of ol coots flapping it can surely be nothing but a disaster ....it will happen and god help them allregards cappy

9. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Insurance..
    I pay for the Two of us for ten weeks away and that is also for a twelve Month period, world wide, £360 for Two.
    Hi Capt
    if it is allowed please could you tell me the insurance company you use ? it seems to be a very good price.
    Kind regards
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th November 2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham
    I am with RBS on their Platinum scheme, Travel, Home , and Car Insurance.
    Pay a small fee every month and it covers all these. Nat West have a similar scheme.
    But Everyone seems to think every ship is a BIG GIANT with thousands of people on with diseases, They are NOT.
    Many people go ashore and eat in dodgy cafes and pick it up there.
    The Galleys. Staff and equipment and food are inspected continuously, top class. Dodgy cafes ashore are not. That is the cause of it, they come back on board, sick next day and blame the ship.
    I only sail on the smaller ships, everyone knows each other, including the Staff.more homely.
    I would not spend all my money cruising if it was rubbish. This next one is costing £26,000, including Business Class flights to Miami and home from Singapore. I would not spend that on a rubbish trip,.
    I have been cruising every year since I retired 20 years ago. NEVER do Mediterranean cruises. they are in port every day, ashore all day eating in dodgy cafes, no sea days.you pay for the facilities of the ship and spend all the time ashore, how daft is that?

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th November 2018 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not knocking your cruises Brian, they sound very good, but i know from speaking to lots of people who cruise, maybe at the cheaper end, and end up with the dreaded NV, one of my friend fro Perth WA, even left the cruise early. Lots of these people question the hygiene of the staff, mostly Eastern European. The hospitals here are always having wards closed with it, so i think it must be hygiene . Just think, one dirty person not washing his hands on leaving the toilet, then walking up the stairs using hand rails etc. Just look at the people in hospitals and doctors surgeries who just walk straight by the hand sanitiser machines, kt
    R689823

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, one of my mates' daughter works on Cruise Ships. She has worked for a couple of Company's P&O being one. I was talking to her last year when she was at home. The famous Virus was mentioned. She told me that apparently the passengers as they are boarding are offered ' anti bacteria hand gel ' to clean their hands so as to try and prevent infection getting onto the ship. She stated that a very high proportion of the passengers refused to use it, so I would not blame the ships staff so much as the passengers through their lack of hygiene bringing it upon themselves. She also told me of passengers using the buffet who pick up food and then put it back on the buffet , sneeze and cough over the food without putting their hands over their faces or using a handkerchief, she said personal hygiene amongst passengers was also bad and it was very uncomfortable in crowded situations.That is enough to put me off ever setting foot on those ships.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

15. Thanks Keith Tindell, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Bob McGahey liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not for me either Chris, perhaps i am just anti social, but i like to walk away from crowds and noise, kt
    R689823

17. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Allman, Jim Brady, j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast