Mobil Endurance,
    Mobil Acme,
    Mobil Transporter,
    Saucon,
    Mobil Hawk,
    Mobil Pinnacle,
    Mobil Pegasus,
    Notes:
    Served as Cadet upto Cheif Officer. After leaving Mobil I worked for Saybolt as a cargo Inspector. Finished up buying and running a Patrol Station and Supermarket. Was the mayor of North Lincolnshire 1997- 1998.
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 8th February 2021 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Paul Kirk

Hello Paul K and Welcome to the site

Hope you have a long and enjoyable stay here with us all.

Lots to go through for your pleasure!

Thanks too for listing your details on the Crew List,always nice to have new ones appearing!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc thanks for the welcome. I went to the Boulevard Nautical School in Hull from age 13 to 16. I was the Cadet Captain (Head Boy) in my last year. Lodged with George Tulloch who had a barbers shop in Boynton Street. This was near the School and was frequented by the Cadets at lunchtime. George’s home was a newish bungalow on a newish estate between Hull and Beverly. I spent 3 years living with them and was joined by two other Cadets John Senior then David Elder. David now lives in Canada along with his brother John. George had two son who were training to be Roman Catholic Priests. I joined Mobil in 1970 and trained as a Deck Cadet and reached the rank of Chief Officer. I decided to leave the Sea when my wife Sue kept loosing during child birth. We did finish up with a beautiful girl then a boy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paul , maybe you can clarify as have asked various people who attended I think the same school as you without much response. You must have had contact with Browns Nautical Almanac , the one with all the adverts in. One advert was for I believe The Boulevard N.S. and showed a young cadet with a sextant up to his eye. Unfortuanetly he had every shade down on the Index and Horizon mirrors and thus useless to use in practice. This was in Browns for a number of years and still may be as far as I know. Was this ever discussed or pointed out at the school and any explanation ever given. You did the right thing regarding your wife, a lot more of us should have done so also , one of my only regrets was the loss of a lot of family life. Regards JS
    R575129

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forgot to add ref. your c.v. and time as mayor, my wifes cousin was Mayor of Durham I believe about the same period. Called John Lightley. Both he and his wife passed away a couple of months ago with Covus 19, both within a week or so of each other. Same bloke went through the Korean War as a N.S. finished up in later years as a colonel in the reserves of the DLI. Take care over there . JS
    R575129

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Paul , maybe you can clarify as have asked various people who attended I think the same school as you without much response. You must have had contact with Browns Nautical Almanac , the one with all the adverts in. One advert was for I believe The Boulevard N.S. and showed a young cadet with a sextant up to his eye. Unfortuanetly he had every shade down on the Index and Horizon mirrors and thus useless to use in practice.
    The Cadet in question attended Hull Trinity House Navigation School [THNS], (not Boulevard Nautical School) I can name him, but am not going to, as knew him well. He was handed the sextant and told not to alter anything, even though he knew it was wrong. When you attended THNS you were told not to question anything, but just do as your told, any infringement was met with 30 mins+ marching, maybe the attitude was wrong, as I thought it wa,s as it stifled imagination, but somehow you had to control a 120+ virile youths aged 12 -16

9. Thanks j.sabourn, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ivan, it was just that I knew 2 from the school in the advert. Both were fishermen. One in the UK and one out here, the one out here brought the first fishing boat out here to Australia to the whaling station with his father to Albany . Think I used to have him on about it , nearly 30 years ago now. Used to say how did you find your way here then ! Cheers JS
    PS This was probably in response to repartee about the often claimed so called fact that those holding Skipper ( Full ) certificates often said " put Fishing gear on the Queen Mary and we"ll take her to sea ". Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th November 2020 at 09:12 AM.
    R575129

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John Sorry to hear about John and his wife passing away with Covid. I have been in lock down for the total period of Covid, as I suffer with Asthma and was told it could kill me. I am not sure of knowing John Lightley as my memory is terrible. We did go to all areas in Humberside but that was about it. I did serve on the Humberside Police Authority and served on the regional crime squad committee and the Police Training Center which included Duran. All the best for Christmas and the New Year. Paul. General Dogs Body Now.

13. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks your reply Paul, he and wife are sill sorely missed by his son and daughter and grandkids . Stayed with them a few years back when in Uk , he had a house in Shincliffe and right opposite him was a house where Tony Blair grew up in. John did not boast about it as he was a social democrat and active in his beliefs. The householder when I was talking about it didn’t want people to know in case it dropped in value. John took me around the Lord Mayors , mayoral accomodation in the city and was very impressed. They both went to the next life together which was probably the best way to go , as were a very close couple. In civilian life he had a governmental job in Agriculture which involved a lot of farm visiting and involving farming machinery and that’s all I know. Regards .John Sabourn
    R575129

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John can I ask how I insert my Discharge book number in my profile as I have searched high and low. Found it in my old Merchant Navy Uniform. Number is R 881379. Thank you. Have a great Christmas and New Year. Paul.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast