Bowcambe 1960-1971
    HarGilboa London
    Lion
    Hampton
    Lion 1971-1975
    Atlantic1&2 1976
    Notes:
    Marine Surveyor 1978-1997
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 16th May 2018 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trevor.w. Hughes

Hello Trevor
    Welcome to the site and thanks for giving your Crew details

always nice to have new Entries!
    Hope you will enjoy the site
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Trevor Hughes thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought the name looked familiar but cannot place the ship served on my time on the Avonmoor and the glenmoor, was with Runcimans until 1964. Apprentices I served with were Brian Nicholas, Taffy Williams, Alan Cook and have a feeling you are in there somewhere. Masters with were Howie, Gilbert, Roberts, Hogg, Lamb, Jordan ( in Dalrgliesh) Howlett , Bradshaw, Coaster, Graham, off the top of my head. Others slip memory at the moment. Think you may have been at the Edward road pre sea school when Bill Moore was the principal. If so you will know Craig Walwyn and Carl Davison who joined the Cragmoor, Carl is still alive and will make the effort to visit him next month. Craig did one trip and disappeared to Canada about 1954.welcome aboard as soon as send this your name and memory’s will probably return , cheers , I had gingery hair in those early days and usually got called ginger, I was barmy as well . John Sabourn. PS knew I would have memories. If you were on the Glenmoor during time stated , I was there for 18 months before finishing My time in 1957. Brian Nicholas was there also were you one of the others to make up the foursome. We went to Cochin I think on my last trip and Hogg was the master. Brian Nicholas you would remember as his father was the senior master in the company and his elder brother was mate in company also. Brian was the black sheep and him and self were usually in trouble of some sort. Another master and son mate the Barton’s were from South Shields not mentioned and a pleasure also to sail with. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th May 2018 at 04:26 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to #3. Hate mystery’s of my past in particular, so maybe you may have a similar card to SNAP .......
    Dartmoor 5 days in January 1958 as 3mate. ( not the prison)
    Hazelmoor.....Feb. 1958. To. January 1959.
    Brockleymoor...24. 2. 59 to 25 9. 59 as 3 mate.
    Jedmoor. 29.3.60 to 18.12.60 as 2 mate.
    Hazelmoor .. 2 .2. 61 to 29. 10. 61. As 2 mate
    Exmoor. 12.2.62 to 29. 19.10.62.As 2 mate
    Innesmoor..
    Hazelmoor until August 1963.
    Masters cert. then left.
    Did you come across a Michael Young in your time with Runcimans. Met up with him 9 years ago in Canada. He was in Same. Company at same time. He did one trip of 5 years . His last year was on AB s money. Ship was out east all time don’t know which one he did tell me but forgot. He joined the RCN and finished up as a commander of a destroyer and brought her into the Tyne at onetime on a courtesy visit, said it was the high light of his life. His son is now an extremely high ranking officer in the RCN of flag rank. Regards JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th May 2018 at 08:58 AM.

7. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    Thanks for your interesting information.I think you were about two terms ahead of me at AS Marine School, and yes Bill Moore was the head honcho, I caught the sharp end of his tongue for a minor uniform erregularity.
    Now back to Rucimans, Apprentices in Cragmoor ,Tidler Martin,Glen Chapman, Denis Sandison, John Betts, Alan Cook, Carl Davison, Bernard Tong & me. Brockleymoor Dave Campbell, Denis Sandison &me Innesmoor Dave Campbell, John Bigland, Ian McFarlane & yours truly.
    I was in Brockleymoor when Capt Howey died in Masawa , a sad time as he was one of the best. Tommy Rowe took over as far as Singapore and Capt Nicholas joined us there.
    Please give Carl Davison my best regards when you see him.

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    Back with a few more memories.
    After apprenticeship I was Third Mate on Glenmoor for two trips to West coast of US on charter to Vassa Line with vw cars out and general back.Last trip with Runcimans was Dartmoor to Australia, Alan Brown was Master.Norman Atkinson wanted me to wait two months for a ship without pay after passing for mate ,so I joined Stephenson Clarke and spent 11 years with them. Other ex Runci. people there we
    re Denis Robinson Bob Thompson & Bob Davidson
    Regards Trevor

11. Thanks Captain Kong, happy daze john in oz, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trevor have faint memories of Captain Howie as he was the first master I sailed with and as you know apprentices don’t get discharges in their books, he made the mistake and gave one sticks out like the one and only for the 4 years. He died not too long after that as. You say. I remember him as a very big man extremely over weight and also young for that era in his 30s I believe. Davies who was personel.manager then before Atkinson remember him saying the. company were a bit disturbed by the large amount of money he left behind as seemed to think he couldn’t have earned it with them no doubt. Going from the Avon or to the Glenmoor was like going from a hovel to a palace and put a whole new slant on life. Alan Cook you speak of if same one came from Sunderland, and of course the Nicholas. Family from Hexam. I went to Nellists for 2 and 1 mate, the dole was 30 bob and their fees a pound a week. Didn’t leave much left over. South Shields for master spent 12 weeks in the library couldn’t afford to sit around while they tried to educate you. When told them had been up and was leaving the school, the lecturer asked who I was and where had I been. Will tell Carl if see him .If you want his address let me know and will send you. Know Denis Robinson from Whitley Bay, relieved him as master on the British Magnus when BUE broke up and one of the Directors took the ship as part of his pay off, same bloke started Vector offshore and took the first ship for him off the American Register in Sunderland. It’s been a funny old world. Full of ups and downs. Preferred the ups which seemed harder to get than the downs .put it down to experience they used to say which is very true. Knew a couple also in Stephies a cook/ stwd. And a mate, brothers when their names come back to me you will. Probably know them as well. Cheers John S...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th May 2018 at 11:59 PM.

13. Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PS to #7.. The Stevie Clarke’s duo were the Winstanleys. ref. Alan Brown , if same sailed with. Him when he was mate, he finished up I believe as a. Barrier Reef pilot. Ref Tiddler sailed as an extra mate with him discharging general cargo round the UK coast when I was home on leave onetime. He hadn’t been married long and couldn’t understand why his wife was so upset when he went out for a drink one night and didn’t come home for 3 days , just went on a pub crawl. He used to keep a reference book of every pub he went into and could quote a large percentage world wide. A friend of mine in NZ also an ex Runcimans man but served his time in West Hartlepool Steam Nav. I think said he met Tiddler a number of years ago in New Zealand and he was master on one of Runcimans this bloke you May also know Clive Spencer, he writes in Sea Breezes sometimes. The names are all. Coming back now out of the mists of time. Most of course will be long dead. Cheers JWS. PS. Tommy Rowe sailed with him when master. He used to carry two sets of boxing gloves and it was not a joke. It was No. 3 hatch any personal arguments. JS. Ref. Stevie Clarke’s was the Pullborough one of theirs. ? JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th May 2018 at 03:48 AM.

15. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again John
    Yes the Pulborongh and sister ship To hate we're Stievies first ships to be fitted with bowthrusters , they got one or two of the old Collier Masters shaking their heads. Ask a youngster now about ship handling with single screw and no barrister and it will have the shaking their heads
    Regards Trevor
    PS Denis Robinson went ashore just after Mastitishers and worked in a concrete finishing factory, so he must have gone back to sea later.
    Can you remember the name of the guy who owned the BritishMerchant?
    TWH

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I relieved Denis on the. British Magnus in March 1991. At Wallsend. The owner of the ship was with me at the time and as was a bit of undercurrent as regards BUE breaking up I was supposed to keep the business quite as It was under wraps as to what I was there for , but on the quite it wasn’t known that I knew Denis, so also put him in the picture unknown to others. The owners name is on the tip of my tongue but at moment is not there at moment , it is the same as another one been on site and when first saw thought it was him, however it wasn’t. The person am referring to if sees this will know as he was at one Time also in BUE and was on the stena seaspread down in the Falklands shoertly after the war there. Having trouble seeing this iPad so will be a lot of mistakes in the print so will have to excuse the owner was an ex master himself . Cheers JWS. Just got some eye drops in, Owner had extra masters and also had some cert. issued by numast forsome high scholarly award I believe. , was a very big man physically , and and as usual his name will probably come back later. He started The veesea company in the North sea and as said I was also on his first bought ship renamed the veesea topaz. A lot happened in 1991 at the end of that year apart from 3 different ships in the Uk emigrated to Australia was working out in Australia on one of Swires ships. So apart from stepping on to different ships was also busy stepping into a new life. Re-vitalised me for another 11 years or so. Probably also extended my life by a number of years also. Know three ex Runcimans people in this part of the Southern Hemisphere so is really home from home, one of them was an apprentice with me when I was second mate on the Exmoor and only lives about 20 miles away, didn’t find out until had been here about 6 years. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th May 2018 at 12:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast