Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trevor.w. Hughes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trevor.w. Hughes

Trevor received this the other day but have had to censor it moderately. Reminded me of Tiddler Martin and his pub quests. ......
    A SWEET MARRIAGE TALE.
    A newlywed couple had only been married for two weeks. The husband although very much in love, couldn’t wait to go out to town and party with his old buddies again.
    So he said to his new wife, “ Honey, I am going out and I’ll be right back”.
    “ Where are you going coochy Cooh? “ asked the wife.
    “ I’m going to the bar, pretty face. I’m just going there to have a beer.”
    The wife said “ you. Want a beer, my love ?” She opened the door to the fridge and showed him 10 different kinds of beer brands from 10different countries.
    The husband didn’t know what to do, and the only thing he could think of saying was , “ Yes, lolly pop .. but at the bar... you know ... they have those frozen glasses “.
    He didn’t get to finish the sentence because the wife interrupted by saying “ You want a frozen glass , puppy face?” She took a huge beer mug out of the freezer , so frozen she was getting chills holding it.
    The husband, looking a bit pale, said “ Yes tootsie roll, but at the bar they have those hors d”oeuvres that are really delicious. I won’t be long. I’ll be right back . I promise. OK?”
    You want hors d”oeuvres she opened the freezer and took out 5 different hors d”oeuvres : chicken wings, pigs in blankets, mushroom caps,pork strips etc.
    “ But my sweet honey ...at the bar...you know ...it’s noisy, it’s loud, there’s swearing, dirty words and all that”.

“ You want dirty words , Dickhead? Drink your effing beer in your goddam frozen mug and eat your mothereffing snacks because you are married now, and you aren’t going effing anywhere. Got it a** hole ?”

And they lived happily ever after.
    Now isn’t that a sweet story.

Think Tiddler would appreciate that one.

JWS. Ps name of owner British Magnus... David Eades. Cheers Jws.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th May 2018 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    The reason I asked about the owner of the British Magnus was that after leaving sea I became a Marine Surveyor and worked for Noble Denton as a Warrantee Surveyor often representing Underwrites for rig moves and various towage operations and met up with quite a lot of offshore owners and representatives.British Magnus was a vessel being put forward as a suitable vessel for a job in Nigeria that I was involved in
    Regards Trevor
    Last edited by Trevor Hughes; 20th May 2018 at 07:50 PM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#’12... I am not 100 per cent sure as am going on what I was told. But later in the 90s I had had a mate with me on one of the offshore vessels. He decided as he was on one of these new fangled certs a 3 or 4, decided to go up for a proper 2 Nd. Mates cert. I was home on leave and had about 6 or 7 weeks to take when he got in touch with me for a favour. He was listed. To fly out to the UK to Wallsend to bring a ship down here for the Navy in Fremantle and was listed to go as 2nd. Mate. The same evening he was flying out he was due for his orals having passed his writtens and failing them would have wiped his plans and the navies out . He wanted to put me down as his replacement if such happened , it was no skin off my nose so said ok and was quite looking forward if necessary to seeing Wallsend and a nice leisurely cruise back to Fremantle. I got a phone call from Perth airport that. Evening saying he had passed his orals and was on his way out. So I had to unpack my bag with a tear in my eye. As far as I know the British Magnus was brought out here to the Naval base to act as a submarine depot ship. I never followed the history of her change of name or anything. However this Friday am attending a meeting giving by the deputy commander of the base so if get a chance will ask him if he knows anything of the ship. Suppose it all depends on how old he is. If do get any info. Will let you know. Cheers JS. Ps to above the Seaforth Clansman which I was on for 4 years finished up in that neck of the woods looking for diamonds or some such precious metal off the seabed. Being a bit inquisitive when you were doing the surveys for the underwriters for insurance what sort of bollard pull and HP of main engines was the trend in those days. I was usually on smaller HP tows than what the ships of today are. Usually if HP too low had to tow in tandem one on the main bridle and one on another strong point, if got the job of lead tug had all the work to do. The last I heard about the North Sea the oil company’s were turning up their noses at anything under 12000 hp. We used to do it on 4500. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st May 2018 at 12:08 AM.

5. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Alan Mcdougle thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    're power requirements for tows.
    Each tow was assessed and a calculation was made based on draft, beam and area above waterline. The requirement was that the rug or combination of rugs could control the row in gale force wind (40 knots)
    Some of the big concrete platform installations took up some of the most powerful vessels around and often up to 1000 combined tons of bollard pull

There was a lot of sweat and tears went into the planning of these tows, and a lot of grey hair for the Row Masters
    Regards
    Trevor

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2