-

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Peter Williams

##was working by the british faith in62 at brighams in shields second steward got a whisper she was going for a long one .....didnt sign on .what rating was deck hand regards cappy

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t think it was in the Maritime Year Book Cappy. As BTC were I think federated ships if such was the case they wouldn’t have. However if not federated could call them what you wanted. I believe I am correct but stand to be corrected if not. Cheers JWS

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Don’t think it was in the Maritime Year Book Cappy. As BTC were I think federated ships if such was the case they wouldn’t have. However if not federated could call them what you wanted. I believe I am correct but stand to be corrected if not. Cheers JWS
    ###nearest rating i think would be DHU.....some of those lads had a hard time john as you will know ....one ex RN guy was treated badly ...the guy was ok it just didnt suit the crowd aboard that vessel ....cappy

8. Thanks donald w gillies, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes donald w gillies, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the listings etc Peter
    Where were you Born and what Year may be able to trace your Book Number
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all know what and why the DHU rating was introduced or at least what we were told by the beurocrats. In theory it was ok but in practice did not take in the problems it could cause. A dhu was on about 10 shillings a month less than an EDH. If he did the same work as an EDH there was every chance he would be accepted with a decent crowd who saw him just as a late starter. However on two seperate occasions I saw 2 DHUs refuse to go aloft or go over the side on a stage, their argument they weren’t trained to do so. Safety is Safety but in most cases it was bull.... This caused discontent straight away. They were quite willing to take the money but in some cases not the job. Those who just mucked in as normal had more chance of being accepted. In Australia in my time here offshore they went on to 50 percent of an ABs or the new intergrated seaman’s wage for 12 months. Never saw any gripes here. Cheers JWS.

12. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I first went to sea in 1964. I was 23 and I had been trying for about 2 years to get a start. I wanted to work on deck but was told that due to my age I would be lucky
    to get a ship. I would have to be around at a time when a ship was almost due to sail, and then I may get away as a DHU. In the end I asked at the pool If I would ever get a ship or am I wasting my time after 2 years. The man behind the counter asked me if I would be interested in working in the engine room. I took it thinking that after one trip I may be able to transfer to deck. I did 3 weeks at Newcastle Sea School. I stayed in the engine room for another 5 years and enjoyed the whole time . It is only now that I realise,, reading about how DHU's seemed to be looked on, that I am glad I did go in the engine room.

Regards.

Frank Thorp.

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If DHUs could do the job thats fine, i sailed with one who could only take a trick at the wheel when we were well out to sea, but it was ok for me to do the trick on the wheel as a SOS, mind you i was quite proud of that, even bring her alongside, but was p***** of to know he was on more money than me. I also have signed on as SAILOR in my book, i had enough time in to sit my ABs and wanted to pay off the ship, but the skipper said i will sign you on as Sailor, money just below AB, Our home port was Hamburg on that ship, and i was fraternising heavily with a young german lady, so did not really want to pay off, What lengths you will go to for young ladies in our youth. sure Cappy knows what i mean kt
    R689823

16. Likes cappy, Captain Kong, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    If DHUs could do the job thats fine, i sailed with one who could only take a trick at the wheel when we were well out to sea, but it was ok for me to do the trick on the wheel as a SOS, mind you i was quite proud of that, even bring her alongside, but was p***** of to know he was on more money than me. I also have signed on as SAILOR in my book, i had enough time in to sit my ABs and wanted to pay off the ship, but the skipper said i will sign you on as Sailor, money just below AB, Our home port was Hamburg on that ship, and i was fraternising heavily with a young german lady, so did not really want to pay off, What lengths you will go to for young ladies in our youth. sure Cappy knows what i mean kt
    hi keith
    with respect to all on the site, I in my humble rating sailed with a EDH Canadian whom just happened to be of the red indian variety and he couldn't tie a bowline, and that was on a stage over the side.
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 9th May 2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: additional imformation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    I sailed with a EDH Canadian whom just happened to be of the red indian variety tom
    Hope you hid all the fire axes

19. Likes thomas michael, Captain Kong liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast