Thread: Arthur 'Jack' Sweeney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arthur 'Jack' Sweeney

Here we go Again!
    Well aware his surname was Hicks.
    He was ,a young,If not first tripper? junior catering boy ,on the Winchester .
    And drew a crowd to the Fore well -deck nightly,as stated.
    Travelled as stated as a Celebrity,giving two performances.

I first saw him on Stage,at a Cardiff ,Theatre.Had taken a new found girl friend there. intentionally to see Shirley Bassey. Complete,sell-out.
    We ambled along to a nearby Theatre. Took two seats in the Stalls. The act was Two Brothers, forget their name now! Think George & Bernie Winters.
    The, Supporting Act ,opened up.
    There was the Lad from the Winchester. Now "Tommy Steele, and the Steelmen".We'd often pass in the alleyways, should he be delivering messages, whatever .Crikey!

Now to Cunard.The Caronia.

One of our A.B's ,previously doing the Caribbean Cruises,out of N.Y. on the Mauretania. Was Cox'n of A launch ,his Catering ,member in the boat .was the same Tommy,he had a number of photo's of them ,in the Boat.

The Mauretania.
    I did Her last four voyages,as A.b.
    Charted by the Ford motor Company of America . European and Mediterranean Cruises. Finally , as Q.M. Last wheel. taking her in to Inverkeithing ,breakers yard.

During our times in N.Y. He was in the Long running Hit ,on Broadway.' Half a sixpence.
    The senior "Queens"produced on board a Ships magazine. Many of them being Stage,Oriented,plus the fact .Tommy was a popular former crew member. Were chuffed,By bringing him back on board,don't know about Him. He contributing, I think a Poem ?re. the Ship.
    But they were Happy and Pissed,by a successful, evening.A really popular guy.
    Last edited by Evan Lewis; 11th April 2018 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arthur 'Jack' Sweeney

Nice info there Evan
    However as I said I was just asking the question,and cannot understand that there is nowt about him being on that Ship!? (Winchester Castle) A mystery!
    Were you with him on the Ship at all? Again just a question! But it would solve the old issue!
    Would you perhaps know what Year it was,as I have quite a few Crew Lists from the Winchester around the 1950's (mid to late) Found Keith Tindell on one .
    This has been a subject for quite a long time past now,and we did not solve it then!?
    Thanks
    Cheers

PS Just in case there may be some confusion here my post was for Lewis not for Evan Lewis,so sorry if you thought otherwise Evan???
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th April 2018 at 03:54 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3