Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Orecrest crew

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Orecrest crew

Hello! I'm new to these forums and this great site in particular. I joined the MV Orecrest in January 1964 at the Ford Motor Co dock in Dagenham as a junior engineer at the tender age of 21. Having served my time as a precision toolmaker I knew absolutely nothing about ships, but always knew that I wanted to be a part of life at sea. Well, I felt a million dollars and certainly a little (lot) nervous as I swaggered up the gangway in my battledress jacket and my newly acquired peaked cap (I kid you not) set at a jaunty angle. Needless to say I was soon brought down to earth with a bump by the second eng, whose name sadly escapes me.
    My first trip was to Kirkenes and back to Workington, wow what a voyage; the stunning beauty of the fjords on the way up, the freezing cold of those northern parts and the terrible weather during the deepsea navigation on the way back home. The chief engineers name was John William Lloyd (John Willie) and he was one of life's gentlemen and taught me a lot. We picked up a lot of damage on that trip home; I recall the cement being smashed out of the fairleads and the chain locker flooding, also we lost some awnings and had a gangway damaged.
    Things could only get better and they did with a nice trip south to Sagunto in Spain and many others to places like: La goulette in Tunisia; Poti in Russia; Melilla in Spanish Morocco...Seven Islands; and many to west Africa; Mauritania; Sierra Leon and Liberia. And of course most of all Narvik was almost a second home as was Port Talbot.
    Ah! Port Talbot...did you act like an officer and drink in the Walnut Tree Hotel or go for a good time with the crew, and probably a fight at the Red House....Anyway they are different stories, for another time.
    I can't recall the names of most on the ship. certainly the Old Man was a fiery little Scotsman and nobody really saw much of him, he always ate midships and had his own tiger. The carpenter was a lovely Maltese chap we all called Hamlet and I remember a 4th Eng named Charlie Neverett.
    I look forward to anyones comments on this or if anyone remembers me Arnold Smith (usually called Tom)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Orecrest crew

#did a few ore carriers but liked the tramps most ore carriers tended to be good feeders .....as others it seems we never forgot out ist ship ......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom , You have come to the right site for memories, we all recall our first trip, mine was 1958, walking up the gangway as a deck boy, only one rank above the ships cat !!!. You can list your ships here, and will more than likely meet someone who sailed the same ships. Look forward to the stories, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Hi Tom , You have come to the right site for memories, we all recall our first trip, mine was 1958, walking up the gangway as a deck boy, only one rank above the ships cat !!!. You can list your ships here, and will more than likely meet someone who sailed the same ships. Look forward to the stories, kt
    Keith, as cabin boy on the MV Broughty, I was told by the Skipper that I was lower than the ships cat, I signed off next time we arrived back in Dundee, I had been on her for three months.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Smith View Post
    Hello! I'm new to these forums and this great site in particular. I joined the MV Orecrest in January 1964 at the Ford Motor Co dock in Dagenham as a junior engineer at the tender age of 21. Having served my time as a precision toolmaker I knew absolutely nothing about ships, but always knew that I wanted to be a part of life at sea. Well, I felt a million dollars and certainly a little (lot) nervous as I swaggered up the gangway in my battledress jacket and my newly acquired peaked cap (I kid you not) set at a jaunty angle. Needless to say I was soon brought down to earth with a bump by the second eng, whose name sadly esy Maltese chap we all called Hamlet and I remember a 4th Eng named Charlie Neverett.
    I look forward to anyones comments on this or if anyone remembers me Arnold Smith (usually called Tom)
    I was working by in Smith's North Shields , sitting in the duty mess , when a uniformed fresh faced cadet on his first trip appeared at the door , the Second said , you must be the new bloke , I'm the second engineer , oh good says new bloke I'm the engineer OFFICER cadet , so can you get my bags , oh dear what a rude awakening he got
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arnold I was mate on the Ravensworth about the time you mention so may of even been in the same bars at the same time. I was on a few ore carriers over a length of time, Pennyworth, Ravensworth, and later the Beechwood and Cherrywood. Ships that pass in the night. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5... I hope you took him along the 50 or so strides from that bottom gate at smoko to the jungle Rob and introduced him to the natives. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #5... I hope you took him along the 50 or so strides from that bottom gate at smoko to the jungle Rob and introduced him to the natives. Cheers JS
    I was working by , so was over in South Shields in Digs at night , New Cadet , had a job list that would have kept him out of trouble for years , and had a drain fitted to lose the bull
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Likes thomas michael, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Smith View Post
    Hello! I'm new to these forums and this great site in particular.

I can't recall the names of most on the ship. certainly the Old Man was a fiery little Scotsman and nobody really saw much of him, he always ate midships and had his own tiger. The carpenter was a lovely Maltese chap we all called Hamlet and I remember a 4th Eng named Charlie Neverett.
    hi Arnold or tom
    I was on the orecrest in sixty four, and was on for all of your described voyages, but I was the deck boy,
    tom
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th January 2018 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Arnold

I too was a first tripper on the Orecrest joined her at Cardiff Docks late December 1962 as Jnr Eng,(complete with white overalls) first trip Narvic second Bone (still have my go ashore pass) we then took her to the River Fal to be laid-up late January, all Eng room crowd payed off except for C/E who stayed aboard. Were you put on the 12 to 4 with a third who had no time for first trippers? also did you have to pump up the daily F/O service tanks and change them over, strip down F/O purifiers for cleaning check the salometer.I always remember the greaser complaining how hot it was on purifier flat for him to work.
    The name Lloyd ring a bell as C/E as you say a real gentleman (I'll have to check my watchkeeping paperwork).

When you joined her was the owner still Ivanovic?

Don

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, Arnold Smith liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast