Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Orecrest crew

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Orecrest crew

All you Port Talbot runners will remember Cindy then. A good friend to the seamen during the strike in 66. JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th January 2018 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom .
    Welcome to the site. You have struck pay-dirt on your first post Thomas he was there as large as life, you never know who you will come across on site.
    Cheers Des

3. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ore carriers on Bisco charter were always good for those seeking short trips and being able to get home at short notice. They were on a 6 months running agreement which meant you could get off on 72 hours notice before arrival uk. The overtime was good because the shipowner wasn’t paying it, the charterers were. The purpose built ore carriers were mostly on 15 year charters and were a good money earner for their owners. Bisco however being a nationalised industry fell by the wayside when the time and motion and bean counters got their grubby hands on it. As far as most seafarers found though it worked in with their life style. Going into them from tramp shipping on 2 year Articles was like manna from heaven. The deck crowd used to get their standard 3 4 5 And even 6 hours a day overtime with not too much being said. In tramp shipping the owners were on your neck all the time to keep the overtime bill down. Some ships have seen the crews overtime deplorable to satisfy some persons ego and advancement up the promotion ladder. If got landed with such I was only there for trip, even though in all my seatime I never got paid overtime as such, only when an apprentice. When was about 9 pence an hour after a 56 hour week. Most of that never received as was hidden in the overtime as field days. The ore carriers brought out a different mindset to people like me on seagoing conditions at the time. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th January 2018 at 01:09 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Keith Tindell, Jim Brady, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Keith, as cabin boy on the MV Broughty, I was told by the Skipper that I was lower than the ships cat, I signed off next time we arrived back in Dundee, I had been on her for three months.
    Bill you were lucky, on some ships the food was so bad the cat would have been eaten.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Bill Cameron, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Michael
    Thanks for replying, I have a bell of recollection ringing in my head although I don't remember you specifically but hey! it was a long time ago. Do you recall the 3rd mate Bill Jones (William H Jones) I'm sure you might; big man, with a beard. I worked with Bill many years later on a ship called the Maurine K. He was master and I was 2/E, we were carrying timber from South America to the US. The Maurine K was formerly the Hannah Bluementhal and before that the MS Pinto...
    I had great times on the old Orecrest, good memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Knock twice and ask for Cindy "Look out, here comes Charlie"

9. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Don... Yes I remember the old third eng well, as you say he no time for anyone really although I got on with him quite well, 'a professional third' I can't recall his name sadly, was he a Welshmen?....The motorman was Ahmed Hassen and he would forgive me if I have misspelt his name and yes he was always complaining. He would walk up and down in the stokehold with his finger in his ear, singing native airs whilst pretending to drive his sheep "woot ha" he would cry out. Yes and I have stripped down many a De Laval purifier for cleaning. Weren't they a bastard to take apart if they had been left too long?
    I joined her in Dagenham and the boss himself came onto the ship for a brief visit before we sailed. I remember getting a brief nod.....Tom.

11. Thanks Don Cook thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

True Happy...but it's funny how they all seem to blend into one sometimes...thinking about a particular job or association...ummm! was that on the Orecrest or this ship or that ship. Whats left of the brain is boiling away trying to sort it out.

- - - Updated - - -

True Cappy...but it's funny how they all seem to blend into one sometimes...thinking about a particular job or association...ummm! was that on the Orecrest or this ship or that ship. Whats left of the brain is boiling away trying to sort it out.

13. Likes Don Cook liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Smith View Post
    Hi Michael
    Thanks for replying, I have a bell of recollection ringing in my head although I don't remember you specifically but hey! it was a long time ago. Do you recall the 3rd mate Bill Jones (William H Jones) I'm sure you might; big man, with a beard. I worked with Bill many years later on a ship called the Maurine K. He was master and I was 2/E, we were carrying timber from South America to the US. The Maurine K was formerly the Hannah Bluementhal and before that the MS Pinto...
    I had great times on the old Orecrest, good memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Knock twice and ask for Cindy "Look out, here comes Charlie"
    hi Arnold
    I think the mates name was bill but as I never referred to him in that manner I would not know for sure, but I believe the captains name was Anderson, also remember he had all his meals served midships by his tiger.
    tom

15. Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Arnold
    I had the pleasure of joining the Orecrest as a first trip cabin boy at the age of 15, on 11th Feb 1960 at, where else, Port Talbot. I left her in August 61 and rejoined her again in Port Talbot as Ass Steward in Feb 62 only to leave in June 62 to join the new-build Skycrest in La Seyne as 2nd Steward until i paid off in Venice in Jan 64.
    The last stamp i have in my book from the Orecrest was Captain Anderson a canny Scotsman from Broughty Ferry. His "tiger" may have been Tony Bianchi a Yugoslav guy.
    When i first joined her the Old Man was a Capt Quirk from Isle of Man followed by Capt Anderson, we also had for a few months a Capt Williamson, all nice guys. 2nd mate as i recall was polish, again a nice guy who had been in the Navy at the Battle of Narvik so he quite liked the trips up north.

Can't recall many names on the engineering side but one of the chiefs we had was a Scotsman called Binnie, also a 3rd called Trevor "Splash" Waterfall from Stockton.

Nice to hear that someone else served with Ivanovic, it was quite a large company at one time but had been dramatically reduced in size by the early sixties.

Take Care

17. Likes thomas michael liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2