Thread: xmas tidings

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default xmas tidings

the village looks nice with loads of xmas lights here and there.....there was a knock on the door ...the local vicar....good evening cappy i just wonder in this season of goodwill i you would join in the true spirit of xmas and have an immigrant on xmas day .....bugger that i said im having a turkey like every body else.......like the old jokes best cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: xmas tidings

Yes Cappy many a true word spoken in Jest that is definitely an old one ! For our Christmas lunch we're having rib of beef I have had too many dried turkeys over the years so for the last 15 years we've avoided it .

I joined the tanker once the day after Boxing Day we had seven days of Turkey . We had casserole , pie , Turkey and cream sauce , Turkey in gravy , cold cuts and curry I don't know how big that turkey was but a crew of 30 managed to take a week to eat it . Although as it was much cheaper than beef I expect it kept the chief stewards feeding rate down .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There I was in the early 70's working for a firm of contract caterers.
    About 5 days before Christmas I was given a Turkey, a frozen Turkey.
    Where to keep it until Christmas eve?
    In the garage which was separate from the house, concrete floor will be cool in there.
    Christmas eve go to get it, the bloody thing is still frozen stiff, bloody cold winter.
    The Turkey spent the night in a bowl by a radiator and by the morning was just about thawed enough to cook.
    Lunch was a bit late that year.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

while working by the risely in shields inapril 61 we started to store up .....among the frozen meat was 4 turkeys ....ooh somebody said lovely turkeys ..this bugger will be away for xmas no doubt about that ......now the last xmas at sea i had carved turkey but couldnd remember how many we got out of one bird ...off to see the cook ...him we willget a good 20 plus out a turkey .......next how many hands aboard this ship wsaid 38 ......jeez some bright spark said we are going for 2 xmases at least......i took the ass stewards and catering boys plus the galley boy of to see the chief steward ...the cook said he wasnt going anyway....is this going for two xmases ..him no ...me well why have we got 4 turkeys..him well i will find out ....any way it was told to us the old man had also put two turkeys on for all hands as a treat .....we all signed on she was a smart craft one of the ist all accom aft jobs named the riseley one of steven suttons good accom and we only did ten months on her.....and had turkey twice .....happy days cappy