Thread: Christian Salvesen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Christian Salvesen

In the recent past on this site their was quite a few post on the CS Co of Leith. From memory started by Wullie Farqhar of Orkney or Shetland. Where have they gone? Regards Ronnie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Christian Salvesen

a mate of mine from shields was in collision in the fog in the baltic ...two or so days in the lifeboat in the fog on his ist trip ......2nd trip he was on the venturer or harvester ...17 months some on the ship some on georgia .......saw him 3 or 4 years later on the chilean reefer in aucland ...we had a great night ...he put me on a beutiful maori girl ...wont mention her name cos JS will say he was there before me lol cappy

3. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed as an apprentice with a mate called McCoughlin who was up and down as mate and master with Salvessons. I proof read a book he was writing about the Big White South which was the title of the book I believe when it was published. This was in the 50"s. He had been the working mate on either the Harvster or Venturer, if I remember in his book he stated there could be upwards of 1800 men on board when they left the Tyne for South Georgia. Story had it he was also master on the transport ships and got demoted for throwing one of the directors off the bridge. He came. Into Runcimans as mate and went up to master and I sailed again with him when I was second mate. I was with him in NZ one time and was probably this time spent the night in.Auckland Park with the girl that Cappy later met. W. McCoughlin later wrote novels and all had a Sea going theme. He was the hardest mate I ever sailed with and.anyone who thought he was small enough to take on soon found out. To their cost, his one big down fall was the booze, when he went on a bender it lasted days. He will be dead a longtime now, but not forgotten. CheersJWS. Ps this was all in that post you are looking for except I didn't mention Cappys girlfriend as didn't want to upset him. Jws
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2017 at 10:48 AM.

5. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Grant View Post
    In the recent past on this site their was quite a few post on the CS Co of Leith. From memory started by Wullie Farqhar of Orkney or Shetland. Where have they gone? Regards Ronnie.
    Try here Ronnie
    http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...archid=1433828
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Doc , that site is not available to me. Any clues?