Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Sal boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sal boats

Thanks Vern. Lots of new names and a growing membership, good to see.
    Take care mate.
    Duke Drennan R809731

2. Thanks Alex Hood, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, N/A, Alex Hood liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Salmela

Hi Edward,

Sorry I haven't picked up your post before this but I have come to this site quite late and still learning to navigate it. I was on Salmela in '64 and remember being in The Bahamas. I also remember Bryce Henderson. I was Galley Boy at the time and was there during the infamous Battle of The Galley when the then Chief Cook Jake Burgess took on the Bosun and then had to jump ship with the 2nd cook. I don't remember too many of the crew names so if you pick this up after all this time let me know what you did on board. My two mates on that trip were Wullie Sharp in the Officers Pantry and Dennis Deans as Engine Boy. Hope this reaches you ok. Alex Hood

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Salvina

Hi Bill,

I was an engineer cadet on Salvina at that time and remember Hamburg all too well. My co-cadet and I gave old Archie quite a hard time but he was a fine man and put up with us even though we had decided to get home in less than two years.

We were on a charter to Messageries Maritime loading round French coast then tramping our way round the Med, through Suez, to West Pakistan, India, Ceylon, East Pakistan then back. After that we went on the Lakes run (Antwerp, Rotterdam, Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit, Bay City, Chicago and Milwaukee.

Salvina was a good ship and bulk of crew were Shelties who knew how to party so we quickly became alcoholics despite no booze ration. Archie could never understand where we got the drink but prohibition never worked anywhere and we soon devised the means to maintain our 5 a day!

What was your dad on board as I do not recall the name?

Regards
    Gerry

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My family lived in Oskarsham during 1964? I think. My father worked for Salvesan and I think was an engineer, his boat was the Salvina. He left Salvesans in 1965 or 1966 and we moved from Liverpool to Manchester were he became a building manager.
    I wonder if you knew him, he's long gone, he left us in 2008. I think I may have voyaged on that boat as a toddler with my Mum, under what circumstances I do not recall, I should have asked her when she was still alive.
    I only have vague memories of being in Sweden, families throwing burning christmas trees out of upper floor apartment windows seemed to stick in my mind for some reason!

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My youngest sister keeps all the older family photos and I must ask her to scan them and dig out any relevant negs too. I used to love looking through them as they had images of places I had never dreamed of, locks on the Panama canal, Suez Canal and various other to me at least exotic locations.
    I am fairly certain there are some photos of M.V Salvina among them but I do not recall if there are any with crew.
    I know there is a few of King Neptune and some horseplay from a line-crossing ceremony showing various crew members but hand on heart I do not know which ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Salvada 1966 - 67’. Best ship/trip of my time in the MN. Young Scots crew had the time of our lives And no complaints whatsoever from the older hands. We had them laughing at our antics.
    By coincidence, the first house I bought after marrying was a Salvesen home. By that time, they were already getting out of shipping and into transportation and home building.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#56.. I never knew Salvessens as such Duke, but knew of them as believe have mentioned before. Whilst serving my time 53/57 sailed with a mate a Mr. McLoughlin think have spelt right. He was ex Salvessons Master and Mate. He had been master on the transport ships running down to South Georgia until the story went he threw one of the owners reps off the bridge. He then went back to working mate on either one or both of the Whale Factory ships the Harvester and the Venturer. However when I sailed with him he was mate and later went back to master with Runcimans . He was writing a book which was going to be called The Deep South all in hand with pen and paper, during off watch periods he had me proof reading it for him so know a bit about the whalers through his eyes. Butchers, Flensers , cabinet makers it was all there over 1000 men at times on each factory ship. There were well over 500 pages to this book which I saw in later years in a posh book
    shop, and was a bit pricey for me, but often wished I had splashed out on it. At that time he lived in South Shields.But later must have moved as taken a ship into Leith one time got talking to the Pilot and he said he lived in the Leith area . He must be a long time dead now but he was a man once met you never forgot , his one big failure was the whiskey bottle. He was about 5/6" tall and about the same in width and have seen him in NZ one time throw half a dozen 6 ft. Shelties out of the messroom one at a time unaided. He went on I believe to write books of fiction as assume it was one and the same man as had the same name. They all had a seafaring background to their story line. I liked the parts when proof reading his original book how all the harlots of the British Islands used to converge on South Shields when they used to arrive in South shields for pay offs after a year away at least. This of course was later changed, the method of pay offs. So jolly jack ashore only had his pocket money. When I talk to Cappy about other mutual old timers such as Axel Lindberg and Septimus Kincaid , Mr. or Capt. McCoughlin we all just called him Mac, should have made the trio , that would have been something to see. No pussy footing around there . All the ships these 3 men were on , were always happy ships as well. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th January 2021 at 12:20 AM.
    R575129

12. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: salmela

Hi Rab I was on that trip my name is Joe Anderson I was the Peggy I joined on the 2nd Dec 1968 and paid off on the 23/4/70 some trip.
    I stay in Bonnyrigg.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6