Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman and Willan 1958-1975

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ss Clearton

Hi Arthur
    I was R/O on Clearton for 8 months in 1954. We spent the time up and down the N/S atlantic to the Cape from Europe and I can still taste those lovely Tom Collins and Ginger Squares in the Del Monica, Capetown. Going through the Bay of Biscay in a howling gale with a cargo of manganese ore is not for the faint-hearted.
    Great days
    cheers
    tony cooke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day bobcat, let me assure you going through the bay in a howling gale with a ship load of seasick bloods is no joy either.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CHAPMAN & WILLAN 1969 to 1975Heello

Hello Arthur nice to see someone from Chapmans looks as though I served with you on Demeterton in 1972 to 1973 as cadet.Paid off in freemantle 4/5/73 and transfered to Frumenton as third mate in Kwinana on the phosphate run Bill gardner was master.

HERMISTON 18/4/69 to 15/10/70 Cadet . Sold to Greek owners at Meadowside Glasgow.
    Demeterton 6/3/71 to 4/5/73 Cadet. Tommy Main was Master.
    Frumenton 5/5/73 to 9/10/73 3/0. Bill Gardner was Master
    Carlton 2/8/74 to 7/1/75 3/0 Bill Gardner was Master/Bill Peacock replaced him later in the trip.
    Federal wear 8/1/75 to 11/3/75 3/0

then parted company with Chapmans and went Denholms untill december 1978 and came ashore.

Laurie Ireland.

Arthur Cannings Guest

Default Hermiston

Photo uploaded to cargo ships Hermiston in Chapman colours cheers Arthur

Arthur Cannings Guest

Default Laurie

Hi Lauriie
    remember the name nice to hear from you left msg on your profile page cheers Arthur

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default chattie chapman apprentices who had sail with some psychos, alkiies etc

hi Arthur
    never met you but i was an apprentice on the Ingleton 1957-59 and Scorton 59-61

Brian Grace

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain Bill Peacock

hi Laurie

Bill Peacock was my skipper on the Scorton from 1959-61

Brian Grace

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello

Dear Arthur,

I served on the Demeterton and Frumenton 1972 - 1974 - as a lad!; paid off in Kobe from the Frumenton in May 1974 having joined her in Melbourne. I do recall your surname and hold you responsible for my leaving the MN! You asked me one day what I was doing there (at sea). I replied I was looking out on to the deck, but realised that was not the answer you were looking for! I left the MN after paying off in Kobe. I take my three years at sea as my stint at university and have never looked back! I went to on to return to my studies; joined the MoD then the FCO, where I am now and back in London for a while.

Where are you and what are you doing with your retirement?

I hope you are well.
    Very best wishes
    David (Turnbull)

john sutton Guest

Default chapman and willan

saw the name captain peacock on the thread and it rang a bell.on looking at my discharge book i see that he skippered the generton when i was on her in 53.good skipper
    john sutton

10. Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question SS Carlton

HI Brian.
    A rather late response, but I too sailed on the Carlton, You say you signed off in Liverpool in August 1959. I evidently signed on for the next trip on 8 September 1959 in Birkenhead as 4th Engineer. I had previously sailed with Clan Line, but took the Carlton as it gave me my first "Watch Keeping" job. I later sailed with other top branded shipping companies, but nothing compared with the Carlton for team spirit and friendship at least amongst the four Engineers. The Chief (- - Davies) a great guy was a retired Blue Star Chief. He asked me if I had worked main engines, and I responded with a positive voice "Yes.Chief" But up to then there had always been in Clan Line a 2nd, and at least two other Engineers stood alongside. We left Birkenhead in ballast, I was the only Engineer in the engine room, with the Chief stood up top at the engine room door. That was a sure way to give one confidence. In fact if I believed the rumours, which I believe were true, the 2nd was un-ticketed but sailing on a "dispensation". But what a great guy and a good Engineer. The 3rd was a good guy highly experienced and I reckon 20 years older than myself. Together we made a sreat group, who would do anything to help each other.

The captain I believe was a R Newlands, and we left Birkenhead heading for Gdynia, to load coal for the Argentine, except for taking on water, I believe at Ceuta we steamed on at 8 knots making Buenos Aires in plus 30 days. from there up the River Plate to Rosario to load grain for the UK. Signing off in Glagow 29th January 1960. I would be delighted to communicate with any one who was on the Carlton at that time, as I am convinced I could write a book on that trip alone. Brian A. Fletcher

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast