Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: canadian pacific.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beaverash

Hiya Geoff,
    Just noticed your reply to the message I left. Should look more often!!
    I was Pantry boy from 1.8.68 till 5.3.69. I think I remember you, 40 years is a long time. Was the Ch.Engineer called Black Bob or something? Bit of a scruffy fella. Remember the Assistant Steward (Steve), he was a really skinny bloke. There was a mad gay Mess Steward called Samantha!! I have met up with the Bosun about a year ago, a big cockney bloke called Ernie. Lives by Chester, nice to talk to him.There was Ron Pearce who was the Electrician.I also see the Carpenter in the pub I drink in, I will ask him about you.
    Anyway enough for now. Keep in touch Geoff.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Green; 2nd November 2010 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Alan,
    The Chief Eng was a little guy from Liverpool that trip I think his name was John Powell, I remember that skinny mess steward Steve, and the bosun Ernie Ells ? I think, I sailed with him a number of times.
    I have spoken to Ron Pearce a few years ago, he lives in New Brunswick.
    CP has a Merchant Navy web-site of it's own, I think www.time-link.org
    I saw an entry by Ernie Ells on it, if you see him ask him about the time he bought a stuffed owl at a junk shop and played a trick on "Captain Boots" the old man.
    Take Care
    Geoff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default John Nicholson

HI Ted

Did two trips on the Beaverlake April 1954 to July 54 as a WIPER later joined the Beaverburn for one trip .
    Enjoyed the bars in Belguim the Ringo Bar was a Beaver Boat fav. passed thru on holiday circa 1971 and it was closed because they were on holiday in Spain. While on Beaverlake the ship suffered a crankcase explosion and had to heave too at Falmouth on Beaverburn hit wreckage in the Gulf of St Lawrence resulting in some weeks in drydock in Halifax. Three eventful trips . Enjoyed the 42 Club in Montreal.The CPS were the best feeders in the business.Joined Kenya Castle Feb 1955 as a Fireman for a change of scene.

Regards

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed on the Beaverdell and the Beavercove in the late 50ies.
    Good ships but cold trips.
    Den.

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ted

Posted a reply some weeks ago viz beaverlake and beaverburn but don`t see it ?

By the way was also peggy on beaverlake april 1954 for one trip

john nicholson wiper

7. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CP

Sailed on LORD STRATCONA as P/CS for one trip only think it was early 70s -72/73 ? Spanish crew .Left her in south of France somewhere Port du Bou ?
    Stuart
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canadian Pacific

Hi Sailor 63,I was on the Beaverfir from November 63 to December 64 as Carpenter,she did rock and roll,but i look back on her with good memories,especially up the Seaway.You must remember the Bosun Joe Dujmovic ,he went on to be Bosun on the CP Trader and Ambassador.I believe the Fir ended up foundering after dragging her anchor after CP sold her.cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Beaverglen and Beaverdell.

Hi all.

Did 7 trips on the "Beaverglen" between Oct 56 and Aug 57, and

14 trips onthe "Beaverdell" between Sept 57 and Apr 59.

Stuck in the ice between Montreal and Quebec on the Beaverdell on one trip
    had to have the Ice Breaker to get us out. I believe at that time the Beaverford
    didn't make it out of harbour in Montreal and stayed there for the winter.

Fred.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for help regarding Canadian Pacific!!

Iam currently looking for my biological grandfather. I have very little infotmation on the mentioned man. And i may be even looking in the wrong place.but im hoping someone may know any information or know where else i can look.
    The man iam searching for,i believe is called FRANK SWEENEY. And wad born around the 1930's. I believe he originated from Speke Liverpool United Kingdom. I believe he worked on the canadian pacific or empress of canada. I know these may not be merchant navy ships,but ive seen alot of forum posts on here mentioning the ships i have named.
    Thank you for takin the time to read thia and look forward to hearing from you. Even if its only something very small,it may be of big help to me.so do not heaitate to contact me:- shulita1@hotmail.com
    even regarding information where i could search for him
    yours sincerly
    Annlouise

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

re. Antwerp bars, was this the famous "ERMARS", just across the road from where the Beaverboats tied up in Antwerp. Everyone who drank there,(that means everyone who sailed on a Beaver) signed their names on any available bulkhead space. I remember as a 2nd trip cadet in 68 on the "Fir" being the only other person, beyond a junior O.S., being on board at close of play one early morning and the two of us having to shut the hatches, during which one of the derricks topping lift parted and the derrick came down over the side rail. Last job was to go across to Ermars and wake up the Bosun to tell him he had another derrick to lland for repair (having already landed one the previous day that the cre had bent when securing for sea leaving the Royal Docks).
    Rgarding barmaids underwear, one time just before sailing for Canada, the bosun dared wErmar to take off her drawers, which she did and these were duly flown at the foremast all the way up the St. Lawrence and the Lakes, which caused all sorts of questions as to what flag we were flying from various shore wallahs.
    From John ( avery green cadet in those days)

13. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast