Thread: Recollections of Philip Dilworth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Recollections of Philip Dilworth

Philip started his time at sea as a cadet with the British India Steam Navigation Co training ship Waroonga just before the start of WW2. Unfortunately a problem with his vision meant he could not become a Merchant Navy Officer and he completed a degree in Mechanical Engineering instead. In 1944 he joined the Royal Navy and served on HMS Cassandra and various other RN vessels.

I have just republished his recollections that were originally on the merchantnavyofficers.com website which went offline two years ago when Fred Waddington who ran the forum passed away. You can access Philip's page HERE.

Over the coming months I will be republishing a lot more of the content of this site which was largely about British India and will place a notice on this board as work progresses.
    Regards,

Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recollections of Philip Dilworth

Hello Brian
    Don't know why but that Link does not work for me anyway!
    Good to keep the Stories Alive though
    Thanks

Just saw this on the Net ?

I have just read Robert Jacobs' entry on 24 Nov 06 about his father Tom who survived the sinking of the Waroonga in 1943. My father, Hugh Harper O'May, also survived this event and arrived home in Scotland to see his new-born daughter (myself). There is a photo of the ship's company taken in 1939 in Philip Dilworth's cadet journal. I think (though not sure) my father is fourth from the right in the front row. I wonder if Tom Jacobs is also in the photo. I agree our fathers would have been fascinated to see what can be discovered on the internet.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recollections of Philip Dilworth

My apologies for the duff link.

The correct one is HERE.
    Regards,

Brian

4. Thanks Chris Allman, N/A, Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Gulliver Guest

Wink Re: Recollections of Philip Dilworth

Quote Originally Posted by Benjidog View Post
    My apologies for the duff link.

The correct one is HERE.

Thanks very much for that Benjidog(Brian W.).I love reading those kind of recollections and experiences.Most enjoyable.
    And I've learned a new word- A Bimster or 'to give a bimstering' -lovely word !
    Those on here who know me will know what's coming next. OK does anybody know the origins of the word?Yes,as explained in the article,a Bimster is six lashes on the bent-over behind.Steady-y-y !.But what's the derivation?
    One would think that it might have been called a Bumster instead... but who knows?..........Spanker.gif