Thread: MV Ripon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Ripon

Hello,
    I was second cook/baker on the MV Rippon, an ore carrier.
    I signed on at Birkenhead 9/3/63 to 18/12/63.
    I only did one trip on her, the galley was inborn no portholes, no ventilation , I had to start the stove each morning by starting a small engine at its side as it was an oil burning stove.
    The Chief Steward had a thing about puff pastry and I had to make it every day, any cook will tell you what a bl....y job it was.
    We went out lightship to a place called Peppel in West Africa it was right up the Congo River and when we got there we anchored out to 4 bouys 2 forward 2 aft , a conveyor belt stuck out from the shore and dropped the ore into the cargo holds as the tide moved the ship with the tide.
    The heat was unbearable in the galley and I lost 20 lbs in weight in just over a month.
    We got back to Birkenhead, i think it was Bidston Dock and i signed off as she was doing the same trip next time, I couldnt afford to lose any more weight.
    I was always under the immpression the the comapny was called. The Bolton Steamship Navigation Comapny. but I maybe mistaken it was nearly 50 years ago.

John Evans

2. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Ripon was one of Fred Boltons, built in 1956. She was sold to Letas SA in 1972 and converted into a non propelled crane ore carrier.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

4. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Caton View Post
    Hi Admin
    I couldnt find Boltons SSco among all the shipping Cos.is it under another name? or do you not have any info on that Co.
    Davey Caton
    I don't know much about Boltons but here is a flag to use as an Avatar or whatever.
    Just 'right click' & 'save as' to your desktop. Then you can then upload it from your 'user CP'.
    "Keep it flutterin'"
    Brian Galloway
    Fluttering Flag Avatars

http://flaglocker.co.uk/

6. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Bolton steamship co

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Caton View Post
    Hi Admin
    I couldnt find Boltons SSco among all the shipping Cos.is it under another name? or do you not have any info on that Co.
    Davey Caton
    Hi Davey.

Click onto GOOGLE,then type in BOLTON
    STEAMSHIP COMPANY,and there are loads
    of info.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mv Ripon.

Hi John,
    Check your Discharge Book for dates. You state you were on the Ripon 9/3/63 untill 18/12/63.
    I signed on as AB in Birkenhead 5/2/63. Did a trip to Vitoria,Brazil,returned to B-Head payed off 26/3/63.
    John at our age we all make these small errors
    ttfn.Peter.
    A Nation of Sheep will Beget A Government of Wolves. ( R625016 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Rippon

Hello Peter,
    Your right and i stand corrected , just checked my Discharge Book (R668413) and I sailed on her 9/11/63 to 18/12/63 and not as i said earlier, like you say at our age little mistakes are made and allowed , I hope. LOL.
    Cheers

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: MV Ripon

I sailed on the Rippon around that time as well . Maybe a bit later. I have a vague memory that the company was called the North Bolton Steamship Company. Absolutely no guarantees that that is correct !

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Ripon

Joined the Ripon, Cardiff. 7.11.67. to 6.12.67

Majority of the Deck,were from S. Shields.
    Paid-Off. S.Shields.6.12 .67.

On going aboard

Recall .

They were unhappy,with the 1st. Mate. Apparently, despite protests, He continually detailed the Crowd, to Chipping .Over and round their accommodation. Therefore depriving them of sleep ,after ,Coming Off-Watch.
    In retaliation ,that morning,in Cardiff. They Chipped away round his living area. CHIP! CHIP! Bang!Believe his Wife ,had just arrived too.
    Know we went from there to Bremen,short stay . That's another Story! Then to Monrovia ,for the Ore.

The Bos'n .Don Fraser. Scot. Great Guy!
    Arrival night. (Pay-off being next morning . think he lived I.O.Man.)
    We went to a nearby Night Club.The Blue .something or other.
    Know the visiting Act, was a very popular Group from Belfast, The Bachelors. They've visited the Twin Town Club here, since ,on a few occasions.
    With my Sailing Date on the ten pound Pom deal ,to Oz.drawing nearer,luckily, was able to join the Celtic Ferry. Felixstowe to Antwerp. for four or five weeks. "Few extra Shekels, to indulge, on the Fairstar's voyage over."
    Anyway ,some months later ,in Melbourne.Noted the Himalaya was arriving .Station Pier.Having Spent best part of two years with Her,various capacities, Wheel,Q.M. Sports Q.M. ( a "Bobby's Job"). then,
    L. S.
    Back to the Ripon.

On way to Station Pier.Drops in to the nearby Pier Hotel. A guy sitting on a Stool at a glass table. Looks up.
    It's Don !,The Bos'n . Last seen .in Shields.

During our Session ,He says ,I'd told him so much of the P.&O's great treatment, that He'd decided ,to "Give it A Go!" Plus the Fact ,that in two days time,He would be meeting-up again with Dawn ,His late elder Bro's Daughter . (The World Champion Olympic Swimmer.)
    "Good On You"! Don.

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Ripon

Quote Originally Posted by James A Barr View Post
    I sailed on the Rippon around that time as well . Maybe a bit later. I have a vague memory that the company was called the North Bolton Steamship Company. Absolutely no guarantees that that is correct !
    Hi James i do believe Boltons was a subsidary of The North Yorkshire Steamshipping Co. i was on the Rievaux maiden voyage jan 1958

15. Likes Evan Lewis, N/A liked this post