Thread: 50th anniversary reunion of ships stranded in the Suez Canal and book launch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 50th anniversary reunion of ships stranded in the Suez Canal and book launch

As many of you will know, two Blue Funnel ships, the Melampus and Agapenor, were among those trapped in the Great Bitter Lake at the start of the Six-Day War on 5 June 1967.

Here's a short report and some photos of the 50th anniversary reunion event at the Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool 1 June 2017. Many former Blue Funnel seafarers attended - some had not met since they were in the Suez Canal 50 years ago. I also launched my book about the stranded Suez ships.

50th anniversary reunion of seafarers stranded in the Suez Canal | Cath Senker

A feature about the reunion appeared in the Daily Express on 3 June:
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily...82037622126717

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 50th anniversary reunion of ships stranded in the Suez Canal and book launch

My article about the 50th anniversary reunion appears in the July issue of Nautilus Telegraph. It's on p29:
    Telegraph : Nautilus International

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 50th anniversary reunion of ships stranded in the Suez Canal and book launch

I continue my series of posts with extracts from 'Stranded in the Six-Day War' alongside new, unpublished photos – some here kindly provided by Siegfried Hellwig following the 2017 Nordwind reunion.

This extract covers the triumphant return of the two German ships, Nordwind and Münsterland, which powered themselves all the way back to Hamburg after eight years stranded in the Suez Canal.

https://cathsenker.co.uk/stranded-si...oming-hamburg/

5. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A, Doc Vernon, Charlie Hannah thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cath....Just read the link to the reunion article....and left a comment there, as follows:
    Hi Cath,
    Many thanks for an interesting article on this event. I only stumbled across it whilst browsing the Blue Funnel section on the MN Old Friends plus website.
    (My first trip to sea was in 1970 on Blue Flues mv Cyclops)
    It was a bit of a shock to actually see someone I knew in the photos: Captain Brian McManus..... I was his Radio Officer on mv Owerri in 1971. (E.D.'s ship of Ocean Fleets.)
    I remember him well, although I never knew he had been caught up in the Suez Canal incident.
    I don't suppose you have any contact details for him? It would be very nice to say "Hi" after all these years.
    Kind regards,
    Steve Singleton .....

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sadly we have just lost a seaman who was aboard a ship amongst those that became affectionately known as the Yellow Fleet, Richie Etherington was caught up on a Blue Funnel ship which one I am not sure R.I.P. Richy Terry.
    {terry scouse}

9. Thanks Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post