Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MV Westminster Bridge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink MV Westminster Bridge

In 1971, I sailed on the bulk carrier MV Westminster Bridge as a Deck Hand. I'm not sure if she was owned or chartered by Bibby Line. The job was allocated to me by the ''pool'' at Prescott Street in London.

In June 1971 we flew out to join her at Genoa in Italy.

We loaded iron ore in West Africa (Pepel in Sierra Leone) for Japan (Kashima & Wakayama). We then dropped down to Northern Australia (Dampier) to load iron ore for Europe (Weserport & Rotterdam).

We flew home from Rotterdam in October 1971.

Quite a boring trip - except that one of the Catering crew murdered one of the Engine Room crew before we arrived at the first port.
    PWSTS Dover 1967. Oriana 1968/69. Encounter Bay, Discovery Bay 1969. Esso Salisbury, Esso Glasgow, Esso York 1970/71. Westminster Bridge 1971. King Alfred 1971/1972. Phyllis Bowater 1972. Rothesay Castle, Edinburgh Castle 1973. Clan Ross 1974. Hull Nautical College 1974/75. Clan Macnair 1975. Clan Macnab 1976. Clan Malcolm 1977.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Maskell, Peter F Chard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Same Ships

Hello Yorkie 1952
    I sailed on the Oriana October 68, paid off March 69, then signed on the Esso Glasgow April 69 for a short coastal run. I was also on the Discovery Bay December 73 and the Encounter Bay January 76. With regard to the Oriana, I got lost on her a couple of times, so many crew and packed in cabin so small up in the fore part. I fell out of my top bunk in rough weather and ended up in the hospital with a bleeding head. Commodore Edgecombe I think was the Master. First and last ship I got logged on, the reason was I was seen to flick black paint onto to passengers doing their early morning fitness jerks. I was painting the top hat on the funnel at the time of this horrendous offence. Dodgy job, but rather warm even in port. Regards

Gulliver Guest

Default Westminster Bridge......

Just a bit of info,Yorkie!
    The Westminster Bridge (-affectionately(?) known as the Westmonster to those who knew her, in 1968 was initially owned by Britain Steamship Co(Watts,Watts & Co) which had just been taken over by Bibby Line. She was built by Lithgows,Clyde,1968 to Panamax dimensions and 73,350 dwt.

Britain SS (Watts,Watts managers) had already had a previous interesting little history--see below.

All their ships were named after London area towns and boroughs,latterly all beginning with 'W',hence Westminster.
    Watts Watts approached Bibby Line in 1965 with a view to be taken over by Bibby's. This was done by 68,and the Westminster Bridge became a near-sister to the two other Bibby Line vessels built in Japan,i.e the Pacific Bridge in 67,and the Atlantic Bridge in 68.She had the Bibby Line funnel(salmon pink/black top) but flew the Britain SS Co/Watts Watts) houseflag.
    All three bulkers were chartered to Seabridge,of which Bibby's was one of the founder members.
    The Westminster was sold in 1973 to Greek interests and eventually broken up in Alang 8/88 after several changes of ownership.

History of Britain SS Co snippets.
    Edmund Watts the founder,jointly founded with Dr Barnardo,the Watts Naval Training School in Norfolk to train disadvantaged boys for the sea.
    In 1894,the 'Finsbury' was the first vessel to carry the first American cotton up the Manchester Ship Canal
    In 1904 the 'Beckenham' sailed non-stop to Japan,avoiding the Suez Canal,carrying 300 tons of cordite,nitro-glycerine and picric acid.
    In 1908 the 'Chiswick carried cables for laying between Victoria and Tasmania.

Cheers!
    Gulliver
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Westminster Bridge

Hi,The Westminster was one of the last ships i worked on as an apprentice electrician in 1968. I sailed as 2nd Elec in 1971 and then on her last voyage in 1973 as 1st Elec. Robert Prescott was a junior Engineer and Alex Kearney was 4th Engineer, John Lamont was 2nd Eng and J D McDonald was Chief. The last voyage was a nightmare trying to get all the electricals back the way they were supposed to be since she'd been sold and they wanted the Bridge Control working again. I almost took my bed down behind the control panel! But hey we played as hard as we worked too!So we did have some fun times.I sailed with John lamont and Robert a couple of times. Nice blokes. Robert's death was a waste of a good mate'e life. Regards to all ex Bibby men, Ross Davidson(6294rossd).

Gulliver Guest

Hi Ross! Good to hear you again,mate.
    As you know I didn't sail on the' Monster' ,but always seemed to sail with others who had,they all told the same tales about her being hard work.
    Sailed with an Old Man,Eric Pierce from Watts Watts who transferred with the takeover by Bibby's.He was keeping all the 'W's ,because that was the Worcestershire.! He was from Orpington,Kent,and worked his way up from deck boy to Master.What a true gent,nothing affected about him at all,compared with some stuffed-shirts I sailed with. Lot of respect for him.
    Yes,such a tragedy about young Bob Prescott in his twenties....he would have been our age now.....

Well,I think we all agree here,we might have worked hard,but we certainly played hard too!

All the Best
    Davey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink

Thanks Gulliver.

Captain Eric Peirce was the Old Man on MV Westminster Bridge
    when I sailed on her, 4/6/71 - 7/10/71.

He sent me a nice Thankyou letter from his home in Kent after
    some of us had to give evidence at the Old Bailey.

Great bloke.
    PWSTS Dover 1967. Oriana 1968/69. Encounter Bay, Discovery Bay 1969. Esso Salisbury, Esso Glasgow, Esso York 1970/71. Westminster Bridge 1971. King Alfred 1971/1972. Phyllis Bowater 1972. Rothesay Castle, Edinburgh Castle 1973. Clan Ross 1974. Hull Nautical College 1974/75. Clan Macnair 1975. Clan Macnab 1976. Clan Malcolm 1977.

Gulliver Guest

Default Britain Steamship Co.(Watts,Watts)....History

I had an interesting e-mail from our member Tony Wilding,who knows a lot about this company.He sailed with them,also his brother and his father at various times.

I thought I'd share the following with others who might be interested.
    So many of these smaller companies had interesting histories,too..........

The Britain Steamship Company Ltd

This is the history of the Watts family,who embarked on shipowning in the 1850's.They came from Northumberland,and Edmund Hannay Watts started as a ship and insurance broker at Blyth in about 1851.From broking he graduated to owning,making an excellent profit out of the snow Brilliant in 1854.Two years later he added another vessel,the Sultan and took into partnership Messrs.Milburn and Holt;the new business being called Watts,Milburn & Co. of Newcastle,coal exporters and shipowners.From 1869 the partners ran steamers and as business grew they opened a London office to which Edmund Watts moved.
    London henceforth became the Watts headquarters and the ships began to be named after towns and districts of the London area,early examples being the Chiswick and Mortlake.Because of the London move,the Watts,Milburn partnership was dissolvedbin 1872 and another;Watts,Ward took its place.During the 70's the export of coal progressed steadily and an association was formed with the American coal exporters Funch Edye and Company of New York.A more dramatic venture was the establishment of bunkering stations on the Australian run,with the coal supplied by Watts ships.
    Edmund Watts realised the advantage of a stake in coal production to ensure cargoes for his ships,so collieries were acquired,principally in the Rhondda and Monmouthshire,and put under the control of a subsidiary;Watts,Williams and Company. From 1875 Edmund's son Fenwick Shadforth Watts,a rugger player of note,joined the firm and started his career at Funch Edye and Company,returning to London in 1883.This year saw the establishment of the Britain Steamship Company to engage in general tramping,while the old Newcastle interests were maintained by two coasters.By 1896 there were 22 ships under Watts management and the tramping trade prospered.
    Coal remained the mainstay of Watts cargoes together with allied products like coke and creosote.An American chartering business was formed based on texan ports and a French association established,later based on Nantes,St.Nazaire and Tours under the title of Societe d'Importations de Charbons.
    In 1900 the title of the management became Watts,Watts,the conversion to a limited company occurring in 1912.

Edmund Watts the founder,jointly founded with Dr Barnardo,the Watts Naval Training School in Norfolk to train disadvantaged boys for the sea.
    In 1894,the 'Finsbury' was the first vessel to carry the first American cotton up the Manchester Ship Canal
    In 1904 the 'Beckenham' sailed non-stop to Japan,avoiding the Suez Canal,carrying 300 tons of cordite,nitro-glycerine and picric acid.
    In 1908 the 'Chiswick carried cables for laying between Victoria and Tasmania

Edmund Watts had died in 1902 and his son F.Shadforth Watts succeeded him and concentrated on the American trade;he started a service between Europe and Gulf and West Indian ports with two ships under the title of the Pensacola Trading Co.Ltd.;and in 1908 another regular service between Seattle and Prince Rupert,B.C.
    During the First World War most of the ships were requisitioned,nine being lost by enemy action.Shadforth Watts was knighted in recognition of his work for the Shipping Federation.He died in 1926 and after an interval of two years the chair was taken over by his son Edmund Hannay Watts,a young naval officer.The second Edmund Watts faced the depression of the 20's and 30's by ruthless scrapping of the older vessels of a large fleet,39 strong.Henceforward ships were built in classes,starting with the 9,000 tons deadweight 'W' class of 1928,the Wanstead, Watford and Wendover;and followed by the 'D's of 1930 and 1931;the Dartford,Deptford and Dulwich of 6,470 tons deadweight.
    In spite of the depression the company embarked on all sorts of ventures.In 1931 they entered insurance,and in the same year formed the Alexandria Navigation Company to carry cotton from Egypt to Liverpool and Manchester,a natural extension to the long standing Watts interest in coal for the Egyptian State Railways.The first Alexandria ships were supplied by Watts,later they built their own.
    More ships were built during the 30's with much improved accommodation and better navigational aids. Between 1936 and 1938 came the 'B' class;the Blackheath,Beckenham and Beaconsfield,followed by the 'T's;the Tottenham,Teddington and Twickenham.
    By 1939 Watts,Watts had 8 modern tramp steamers,and one older one.During the War in 1943 the company's first motorship was launched;the Greenwich, and in 1949 and 1950 came three more motorships capable of 15 knots;the second 'W' class,again named Wanstead and Wendover ,with a new 'W',the Woodford,all of 8,500 tons deadweight,with much improved accommodation for the crew.By this time the company decided to standardize all their ship names to begin with 'W',so in 1952/3 came the Windsor,Woolwich and Wokingham,of 10,000tons deadweight,slightly slower but a good deal more economical in fuel than the previous trio.
    Very striking in appearance were the third trio of 'W's which appeared between 1958 and 1960.These were the Barclay,Curle built Weybridge,Wimbledon and Willesden,again motorships of 9,500 tons deadweight.Their hulls had pronounced knuckles at bow and stern and the engineroom was placed about three-quarters aft instead of amidships.Edmund Watts had much to do with the design of these vessels.After his death in 1962 no members of the family have been in the business which became much diversified in the 60's.Five coasters were acquired from the Queenship Navigation Ltd. and operated under the management of Comben,Longstaff and Co.Ltd,all being vessels of about 1,700 tons deadweight.
    More revolutionary still was the appointment of Britain Steamship company to manage 7 tankers of 30,000-40,000 tons deadweight owned by the Gulf Oil Corporation,but under the British flag.These were later reduced to four.
    finally in 1965 came the membership of the Seabridge consortium and the order of a 78,000 tons deadweight motor bulk carrier,delivered in 1968(the Westminster Bridge).
    The requested takeover by Bibby's was accomplished in 1968 ,only the Westminster Bridge being retained by Bibby's.

(The above extract is from a booklet entitled '175 Years of Achievement' and published by Bibby Line for its employees in 1982)

Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 10th November 2009 at 10:44 AM.

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Lived in I.O.Man till 2007 on and off, now Lincolnshire
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default West Monster

Hi Ross,
    Just been checking my records and see that we must have been on the Monster probably at the same time, I signed off on 1st june 73 in Rotterdam, The Skipper was Swift, and remember something about the bridge engine controls. The Ship was being checked out by a Greek company and they had several blokes onboard for the latter part of the trip checking her out, the name Pegasus rings a bell, and whether that was the name of the Company or the likely name for the ship after purchase, I'm not sure. I was the R/O just in case you hadn't realised. She was a bit of an old banger really, always having engine problems, think everyone was glad to see the back of her? Remember also that the A/C failed on the way back up the West African coast, that was the final straw, my Wife was with me that trip so we were glad to get into some cooler weather
    regards
    Graham

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Guys, just posted picture of Westminster Bridge on site. Cheers Aussie

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Gulliver Guest

Thanks Aussie,The best I've seen yet of the Westmonster.
    Rated it accordingly.
    Cheers!
    Gulliver

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast