Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: MV Westminster Bridge

john sutton Guest

Default Re: Westminster Bridge......

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Just a bit of info,Yorkie!
    The Westminster Bridge (-affectionately(?) known as the Westmonster to those who knew her, in 1968 was initially owned by Britain Steamship Co(Watts,Watts & Co) which had just been taken over by Bibby Line. She was built by Lithgows,Clyde,1968 to Panamax dimensions and 73,350 dwt.

Britain SS (Watts,Watts managers) had already had a previous interesting little history--see below.

All their ships were named after London area towns and boroughs,latterly all beginning with 'W',hence Westminster.
    Watts Watts approached Bibby Line in 1965 with a view to be taken over by Bibby's. This was done by 68,and the Westminster Bridge became a near-sister to the two other Bibby Line vessels built in Japan,i.e the Pacific Bridge in 67,and the Atlantic Bridge in 68.She had the Bibby Line funnel(salmon pink/black top) but flew the Britain SS Co/Watts Watts) houseflag.
    All three bulkers were chartered to Seabridge,of which Bibby's was one of the founder members.
    The Westminster was sold in 1973 to Greek interests and eventually broken up in Alang 8/88 after several changes of ownership.

History of Britain SS Co snippets.
    Edmund Watts the founder,jointly founded with Dr Barnardo,the Watts Naval Training School in Norfolk to train disadvantaged boys for the sea.
    In 1894,the 'Finsbury' was the first vessel to carry the first American cotton up the Manchester Ship Canal
    In 1904 the 'Beckenham' sailed non-stop to Japan,avoiding the Suez Canal,carrying 300 tons of cordite,nitro-glycerine and picric acid.
    In 1908 the 'Chiswick carried cables for laying between Victoria and Tasmania.

Cheers!
    Gulliver
    #3. I spent four years at watts naval school 45 to when it closed about49 and learned a lot.not always useful

2. Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john sutton View Post

I spent four years at watts naval school 45 to when it closed about 49 and learned a lot, not always useful
    I'd never heard of that place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PWSTS Dover 1967. Oriana 1968/69. Encounter Bay, Discovery Bay 1969. Esso Salisbury, Esso Glasgow, Esso York 1970/71. Westminster Bridge 1971. King Alfred 1971/1972. Phyllis Bowater 1972. Rothesay Castle, Edinburgh Castle 1973. Clan Ross 1974. Hull Nautical College 1974/75. Clan Macnair 1975. Clan Macnab 1976. Clan Malcolm 1977.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    john sutton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie1952 View Post
    I'd never heard of that place.
    when watts closed we transferred to parkstone sea training school

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4