Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ships ashore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ships ashore

When reading my local newspaper I came across an article about the bencleuch.
    It seems that after the ship was broken up by P&W McLennan in the upper forth in 1972, the officers' smokeroom was detached and landed ashore to become the clubhouse of the upper Forth boat club.
    Ships' lifeboats also became the most numerous vessels of the sailing clubs' membership.
    I had often heard of ships' lifeboats and ships timbers and paneling being sold off to pivate buyers but has anyone heard of other instances of ships being scavenged for use ashore ?

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ships ashore

Hi
    There's a hotel in north Northumberland that has rooms panelled with the fittings etc. from the Titanics sister ship.
    The Olympic i believe
    rgds
    John

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Nils.
    It has puzzled me what happened to ships lifeboats when the ships were broken up, there must have been hundreds back in the 50s,60s and 70s. I suppose they would have been sold off for pleasure craft. I read some books by a Tritstan Jones who traveled up around Norway and through the canals in France on an old lieboat, with his three legged dog Nelson.
    Cheers Des

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Des, I remember lots of naval craft waiting for the breakers at faslane in the 40's & 50's.
    I also heard one ( don't know if it's true ) of a couple of Irish guys buying a lifeboat in Scotland and sailing it home.
    They apparently used steel pipes filled with sand for ballast but encountered bad weather on the way and were in big trouble until they were rescued

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nils Dahl View Post
    They apparently used steel pipes filled with sand for ballast
    Lifeboats were a pig to sail, remember when us 4 cadets heaviest of which was 8st wringing wet had to take them out for practice, used to fill the bottom with old gin blocks to try and give them a bit of stability, it was like trying to sail a brick and we were under strict instructions to bring them back under the davits under sail, oars not allowed, eh what a lot of fun we had, I think not

Memories don't you just luv em

10. Likes Doc Vernon, John Albert Evans liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ships ashore

It's the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The trevessa lifeboat at Wembley.

image002.jpg

LINK: THE TREVESSA LIFEBOAT AT WEMBLEY

S.S. "TREVESSA" (LIFEBOAT).
    HC Deb 27 May 1924 vol 174 c195

16. Viscount CURZON asked the President of the Board of Trade whether he is aware that the boat belonging to the s.s. "Trevessa" is at the British Empire Exhibition, presumably to commemorate one of the finest feats of seamanship ever performed in the mercantile marine; and whether he can take steps to ensure that this boat is exhibited in surroundings and in a manner worthy of it, and preserved for the nation subsequently?

Mr. WEBB I am aware that one of the boats of the "Trevessa" is being exhibited at Wembley, and if the Noble Lord will he good, enough to tell me what he has in mind, I will look into the matter. I doubt whether it will be possible to arrange for the permanent exhibition of this boat.

Viscount CURZON Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that this boat is, at present sitting on the top of a rubbish heap?

S.S. "TREVESSA" (LIFEBOAT). (Hansard, 27 May 1924)

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 13th November 2017 at 06:09 PM.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Bengy Roberts Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nils Dahl View Post
    When reading my local newspaper I came across an article about the bencleuch.

Ships' lifeboats also became the most numerous vessels of the sailing clubs' membership.
    I had often heard of ships' lifeboats and ships timbers and paneling being sold off to pivate buyers but has anyone heard of other instances of ships being scavenged for use ashore ?
    Nils,my friend drinks in the yachting club in dalgety bay,is this the same place,if so i will e.mail him,i sailed with ben line myself,and this would be interesting to know,,good thread BENGY

- - - Updated - - -

if true i will go up and see him,for drink
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th November 2017 at 06:52 PM.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

DUCHESS OF BEDFORD / EMPRESS OF FRANCE

She was built by John Brown & Co Ltd, Glasgow in 1928 for Canadian Pacific SS Ltd. She was a 20,123 gross ton ship, length 601ft x beam 75.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class.

The Duchess of Bedford, called "the most bombed ship still afloat", was a very lucky ship. During World War II, she sank a U-boat, damaged another, was shot at and bombed on a number of occassions, and once struck an iceberg without sustaining damage.

DUCHESS OF BEDFORD

Later renamed EMPRESS OF FRANCE

On the 19th December 1960 she leaves Liverpool for her final voyage to the breaker's John Cashmore of Newport, Monmouthshire, South Wales.

Her Empress bar was taken from the yard and became the Empress bar at the Barry Hotel, Barry, Glamorgan.

Not to be confused with the Barry Dock Hotel, this dock bar was known worldwide as the "Chain Locker".

Sadly the Empress bar is no more and the Barry Hotel is now an apartment block.

The site of the old "Chain Locker" is now a care home.

Hopefully, the Welsh brewing chain held on to artifacts and to find out more is one of my next jobs on my list.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 13th November 2017 at 06:55 PM.

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Bengy Roberts Guest

Keith,you are one busy person,BENGY

20. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast