Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Ben Line list

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ben Line list

#150 Hi John. It was the S/Victor11 with Charlie Sheales, I think Andy was with Ben Line. It's strange how things come to mind even after Forty Years.
    Bill.
    Last edited by Bill Morrison; 31st August 2021 at 06:54 PM. Reason: error

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#151. Bill, I was skipper on the Victor March 86 but that would be way after your time . JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Bill Morrison, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: memories

Hi,
    My name is Dave Scott I was engineer on the Benhope from 1964-1967 when I think it was Arthur who joined as second engineer to get some motor time in so he could sit his chiefs motor ticket. If this is correct I have a photo of him in my album which i will send to you if you would like, reply to my email at daveyscott@hotmail,com. I am currently living in Mallorca in the Baleares and enjoying my retirement hope to hear from you soon
    Regards dave

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My name is mike bates i did my first trip on the Benalder,that was a coast and a voyage from September 1966 to February 1967.I was a deck boy and i now live in Wellington New Zealand.

8. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Salvina

Sailed with Archibald on the Salambria in 1968 but dont know your dad SORRY!!

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I sailed with the Ben line from October 1968 to September 1973 - sailed on Benvenue , Bennachie, Bengloe and finished up sailing 2nd on Benloyal Gordon Blackwood

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike,

I was Assistant Steward on the Ben Lawers , joined 14/11/1073 Hull discharged 19/03/1974 London
    I also sailed with P&O, Shaw Savill, Sugar Line, Bowring Steamship, North of Scotland Shipping Co. Ltd

I now live in Portsoy Northeast of Scotland email davietr7rv@hotmail.co.uk

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Phil, where you on the Benalder Winter 1978?.
    Martin

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first ship was MV Benarmin. Joined in London in Dec.'71 as 7th Eng. Spent the first week as the power source for the E/R lifting tackle. I think we pulled four units including liners on the RD76 Sulzer along with many other big maintenance jobs. Spent New Years Eve in Middlesburgh, removing all the scavenge valves for cleaning with the help of the donkeyman. A baptism of black. Was very disappointed not to sail with her on the far east voyage. I was fully booted and spurred with gear for the tropics. Next coast was on SS Benmhor in Jan '72. joined in Le Havre having crossed overnight from Southampton on the MV Leopard. First sight of 'Benmhor' was of a scruffy looking ship, a bit smaller than Benarmin, lying alongside with a bad port list and straining on her warps. Two weeks later I was informed that I would again be going home at the end of the 'coast' and i managed to negotiate sailing deep sea as 6th Eng. Two 'far east' voyages laterh head office wanted me to sign on another ship when only half way through my leave and I declined the posting as I was booked on a last minute ski trip. The personel staff thought they were a rule unto themselves, and since I had buggered up their rosters, I was next heading for another antique tub. Benrinnes. Went aboard in London at 08.00hrs, was guided to the mess, served with a very average (not) breakfast. Next revilation, my cabin, still occupied by the junior I was relieving. He was crashed on the bunk, still wearing a filthy boiler suit and his feet still in his engine room boots. There had been an 'accident' at some time during the last voyage where the sink had been sat on and the hot and cold supply pipes were cut of and bent over to stop leakage. The ship, having been built in 1945/6 in Tacoma, Washington State, as an aircraft carrier but was not commissioned prior to the end of the Pacific War and had been broken out from lay-up and converted to a cargo vessel. The cabin furnishings were all riveted steel and the ventilation was minimal with exposed spiral tubing of minimal diameter and a microscopic port hole on the outboard bulkhead. the deck was all black oily smears. Then to the engine room. It was immaculate. There were steam distribution valve chests each with maybe five or six outputs and in each case was a valve tallied "Steam To Catapult". Having been on two voyages far east and back on a ship with the boilers built over the top of the turbine gear box, in the same compartment, a separate boiler room was a bonus. But all things considered, and looking for some progress in my seagoing career, being by then over twenty four years old, I was looking for better things in life than geriatric tub to spend another five months at sea on. Decision made. Seek an interview with the chief, who agreed with my sentiments, keep my discharge in my pocket and head back into town to catch the mid-day flyer back home and take the consequences. Bumped out of Ben Line and was away in three weeks with Denholm's on a year old chemical tanker as 5th/E. 2/E in three years and was at that rank for a further six years until recession made me redundant at the end of '82. Oil industry offshore North Sea called.

18. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hI
    ALAN MCCREERY
    ENGINEER
    BENLOYAL 1977
    BENWYVIS 1977