Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SS Effna

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$RXWTOLD.jpg$R99RJ20.jpgHi gentlemen and lady,sorry if I'm rather late with these photographs but at least they will solve one little bit of the puzzle.The pics are of my great uncle Robert Penney Robertson who was the master of the Effna and were taken around 1940 as far as I know.Who ever the curly haired chap on the U boat was,I think it is quite plain to see that he certainly wasn't the Effna's skipper!

2. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Effna

i have just come across this query about the ss effna lost of iceland ......my father married the sister of a crew member aboard the effna when she was lost..it was believed by the family that...she was hit by a torpedo off iceland just before midnight in extremely heavy weather.......not much chance even of getting boats away in that type of weather .....the photos of the supposed crew are not possibly of the effna...there is no mystery she was hit and sank without getting boats away.... which in that sort of weather is just about impossible.......even on a liferaft ....you would not last long...cappy

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi , i’v just joined this site and find it very interesting. The child in your picture is my father Robert Scott Robertson, my grandfather was Robin Robertson. I’m trying to find out as much information about my grandfather as I can. My own son is a currently a cadet in The Merchant Navy training to be a 3rd officer.
    Julie

6. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Julie just a small point and would like to see if wrong. Dont know if the picture referred to is a similar one some time ago or not. But the person in MN uniform caught my eye as it did in a previous photo. The top left hand brass button as you look at the photo is unbuttoned. If there is a button hole for it and was fastened it would be partially at least concealed by the lapel, which led me to think it was a posed photo at some studio. I checked my own jacket which is of 1990 vintage and the design is different . May I say however I have had at least 3 other uniforms previous and can’t remember if the design was different, it is different to 1990 I do know that. You can check by sighting your sons jacket. Only a small thing but if wanting to check further would probably be the art gallery probably on the back of the photo, and if still in existence may still have in their props dept. that is if I’m right .JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS, I was looking at the picture in Ronnie Young’s post, it’s an old photo of my Grandfather who was Master Robert Robertson on the ss effna. My father is the small child sitting on my grandmothers knee I’m sorry if i’v confused you, I don’t do technology too well.
    Julie G

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    i have just come across this query about the ss effna lost of iceland ......my father married the sister of a crew member aboard the effna when she was lost..it was believed by the family that...she was hit by a torpedo off iceland just before midnight in extremely heavy weather.......not much chance even of getting boats away in that type of weather .....the photos of the supposed crew are not possibly of the effna...there is no mystery she was hit and sank without getting boats away.... which in that sort of weather is just about impossible.......even on a liferaft ....you would not last long...cappy
    The story appears to rest at last .....sadly it is stated in the story i learned that william atkinson bell was the brother of my fathers wife.......he was a bright young man of some 23 years and worked in electronics on the river tyne .......some person put white feathers on his locker ......he went down to the mill dam in shields and signed on the sseffna as a fire man ......it was his first trip to sea over to canada i believe .....and was lost on the return voyage to the uk.....R683532

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, Hugh liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3