Thread: World War Two Problems

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default World War Two Problems

I am interested in family history and I am hoping people on this site might be able to help fill in the gaps in my father-in-law’s war time history and that this might produce clues to his earlier life. I have tried the various birth, death and marriage records without success. I have also tried the Military records here in the UK again without success The names on the ships in 1944 onwards come from DM Stringer's CRS10 but I have only a partial copy.
    Can anyone help me with the following questions:
    What was DM Stringer doing in Singapore?
    How he travel there?
    How did he get from Emmerhaven/Padang to Trinidad?
    Are there surviving Crew list for any of the ships mentioned and does the name DM Stringer appear on them?
    It is possible that until Trinidad he may have been using his brother’s name.

Thank you for reading and most of the known details are below. If anything is unclear or if there are questions, please ask.

Full Name Dominic Michael Stringer
    Born 14.04.1919 or 1922
    Father John Patrick Stringer (taken from marriage certificate)
    Mother Unkown

He was brought up in Glasgow, sibling known as “Jack” but nothing else is known of his early years.

World War Two
    DM Stringer was in Singapore in the weeks before the fall. We do not know what he was doing there nor how he got there.

DM Stringer was in Singapore for at least two weeks before it fell. He left on 13/14 February 1942 on board Daisy under the command of Capt. W. Walmsley. Also on board were Purvis, Peter Black; Stewart, James George; McArthur, William; McMahon, Gerald Manning; Dyce, John (Medical Hall, Singapore); Campbell (Gatty & Bateman) and six naval ratings (one report says five ratings and a petty officer). The named men all knew each other and all had some connection with Scotland.
    At the mouth of the Djambi river, Daisy was scuttled and her crew were taken upstream by S.Lt. Weatherstone-Lammert, who commanded P10 The group travelled together across the mountains to Padang where most seemed to escape on board the Duijmaer Van Twist. Many of those aboard Daisy, P10 and P12 appear on the Zandaam passenger list available at the NAA. DM Stringer does not appear on either list and I do not know how he left Padang. P10 and P12 were Dutch patrol boats that were loaned to the British Royal Navy. DM Stringer was identified as one of the naval ratings on board Daisy. I have information about the Zandaam and its passenger and crew lists lists but there are gaps in time and most lists I have seen are incomplete.

Late in 1942, DM Stringer enlisted into the USED whilst in Trinidad. He said he arrived in Trinidad after his ship had been torpedoed nearby. He frequented the Old Racecourse in Port of Spain where many merchant seamen stayed after arriving in Trinidad. He married Evelyn Genevieve Stringer in Bridgetown, Barbados. Throughout that year he worked on board Delamar and Wellandoc.

In 1944 DM Stringer was in Montreal, Canada and signed on Samspeed bound for the Mediterranean. Thereafter he served on Fort Massac, Trevanion and Empire Bairn. He was not averse to getting into trouble and was involved in at least one Naval Court. He was returned to the UK on 2.7.1945

Thank you for reading.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: World War Two Problems

Hi Hazel.
    I have looked up the names of naval ships sunk in the second world war and the only ones mentioned
    with the name Daisy is a degaussing ship lost through heavy weather off Greenock, the other a tug that foundered in the med, and no mention of any other MN or naval ship of that name lost. Even if it was scuttled it would have been mentioned in the book I have, The official list of "British Vessels Lost at Sea 1939-45". It lists all sinking's for both Naval and MN ships, and that includes scuttling. So another mystery for you
    Cheers Des

4. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny that you mention the old racecourse in Port of Spain as spent nearly a year running from the St. Lawtence to the West Indies and 2nd. engineer and self had rooms more or less permanently booked in the Turf Hotel facing the race course in Port of Spain. Whether such hotel was built before during or after the war however wouldn't have a clue. In 1967 was a nice place to stay for various reasons. JWS

6. Likes Hazel Stringer, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Hazel.
    I have looked up the names of naval ships sunk in the second world war and the only ones mentioned
    with the name Daisy is a degaussing ship lost through heavy weather off Greenock, the other a tug that foundered in the med, and no mention of any other MN or naval ship of that name lost. Even if it was scuttled it would have been mentioned in the book I have, The official list of "British Vessels Lost at Sea 1939-45". It lists all sinking's for both Naval and MN ships, and that includes scuttling. So another mystery for you
    Cheers Des
    Hi Des,

I solved that particular problem many years back courtesy of the now defunct Naval Branch of the MOD. My husband rang them about something else and asked about Daisy at the same time.This rather officious member of staff replied "I seriously doubt the RN would have a ship with such a mundane name." He crossed the office singing softly Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do.....He returned to the phone a few moments later and said"...erm.... we did have a ship of that name at Singapore. She was originally one of the harbour water boat and was requisitioned briefly to aid in the evacuation."
    We found out much later she was one of two such water boats,both successfully escaped to the Djambi river! Although our Daisy was scuttled at the mouth of the Djambi River, the Japanese raised her and used her as a lighter. She was returned to her owners after the war and was eventually retired in the early '50s I think and was broken up. A sad end to an unusual but gallant little vessel.

8. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hazel.
    Thanks for that, maybe being a private boat wouldn't have been listed. I know what you mean pompous asses caused a bit of mayhem in the war.
    Cheers Des

10. Likes Hazel Stringer, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally i have a decent picture of Dad. This was taken circa 1943 when he was in US uniform for a short time.

IMG_20181227_093323.jpg

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

May pos be next year but,
    will have a look at all ASAP.

k.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    May pos be next year but,
    will have a look at all ASAP.

k.
    Keith,

Years back, I took this photo to the US Embassy in London where the uniform was identified by a Sub. Lt in their library. As a passing thought is the Merchant Navy and the Merchant Marine the same body?

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a passing thought is the Merchant Navy and the Merchant Marine the same body?

Possibly can be called the same body Hazel but as you may know one is the referred to as the British Merchant Navy and the other the American Merchant Marine.
    They did both however do similar things !
    Cheeers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

17. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

n the First and Second World Wars, the merchant service suffered heavy losses from German U-boat attacks. A policy of unrestricted warfare meant that merchant seafarers were at risk of attack from enemy ships. The tonnage lost to U-boats in the First World War was around 7,759,090 tons,[3] and around 14,661 merchant seafarers were killed. In honour of the sacrifice made by merchant seafarers in the First World War, George V granted the title "Merchant Navy" to the companies.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

19. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post