Thread: Troon Harbour v Ayr Harbour 1875

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Troon Harbour v Ayr Harbour 1875

A gentleman I am researching, James Logan, became a master mariner in 1874 and at that time he and his family were living at Troon.

In 1875 he and his family moved to Ayr just ten miles down the coast.

Is there any way of knowing how the two places compared if you were a newly qualified master mariner?

Was Ayr a much busier place than Troon in terms of harbour/port at that time?

Are there stats somewhere to be able to compare the two places?

Would be delighted to hear from anyone who could 'point me in the right direction'.

Thanks

Dave

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Troon Harbour v Ayr Harbour 1875

By the end of the 1800s Troon was among the top ten coal ports in Britain. A shipyard was opened in the town in 1860, and a lifeboat station arrived in 1871. By 1851 Ayr's population was 21,000 and by 1855 between 60,000 and 70,000 tonnes of coal were being exported to Ireland from Ayr's Harbour each year, with imports of hide and tallow coming into the harbour from South America and beef, butter, barley, yarn and linen being imported into the harbour from Ireland. In 1854, 84,330 tonnes of goods were exported from the town and 36,760 tonnes were imported into the town.

Not much help I guess but hopefully others may both join in and provide mor.

Regards,

Keith.