Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Power Costs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Power Costs

Thanks for reading and can you help.
    I am trying to establish how to correctly work out the cost of Running my Air Con.
    I have 2 Reverse Cycle NEC Air Cons but I only need one to try and figure out!
    On the Sticker all it has is Model Number (I have looked this up but it does not tell me what I am after) also has the following
    Capacity
    Cooling 7030 W
    Heating 7030 W

Normal Input Current
    Cooling 2670 W
    Heating 2610 W

Now from the above and with my Electricity at 27.094 c/PKW
    Does anyone know how to work out the Running cost for an Hour, for the Cooling Cycle only!
    I Run it at a steady 21 Degrees when in use on very Hot days ,like Today when we will be reaching the 38 Mark here in Blackheath.
    Feel for the poor Beggars in the Penrith Valley Today as well as the Outback Lads who get up to some 46/47 Whew!
    Thanks for any good help here!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Power Costs

Doc Read this mornings Telegraph Cost 50 to 70 cents an hour to run. Mid size .

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Charlie
    That is about the baseline ,however would like to know exactly how you work this out.
    Just for Reference sake that all
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must be living like an eskimo there Vern as set my AC at 26 and 27 if it is a really hot day. Was explained to me that by choosing a low temp the AC will never get it down to that and will be chewing up power all day long. I find that with my settings the AC is not running all day and therefore cuts down costs. I also shut of any rooms that I am not using plus turn of those zones as well (ducted). Also have a small AC in the sun room (is that an oximoron) so of a night we bunker down there to watch the tube. So Vern might pay to up the temps mate because when temps are around the 40 mark that is still a big reduction and to be honest about it I reckon that our house feels cooler because the AC gets a rest now and then to work at its optimum. Same in winter I set the temp at around 17
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Les
    I am not too worried about the cost really,it is just something that i like to know how it works,
    I like mine at about the 21 0r 22 mark,and it Cuts in and Out regularly,so seems to be OK.
    My Bills have been quite reasonable of late as well,the last one being $ 320 and that is for all Appliances,so feel quite happy.

I am one that needs to stay cool as with my Heart Condition I feel all washed out in any Heat over the 28 mark.

So its indoors for the last Week and Toady of course with Temps set to Soar!

Just looked up the Hottest recorded here in Blackheath was in 2007 at 36.1 looks like we will break that mark Today! Cooler from Tomorrow thank goodness!
    Cheers

I had enough of the Heat and the Humidity when in Durban mate,too much,used to just sit on the back Porch and the Sweat would just Run like water!

Much like when at sea through the Tropics in the Monkey Jackets serving the Bloods,Hot as hell but Boy they still chowed away! LOL
    Good old days though
    Cheers

R697530

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon
    We are with Origin Energy and we are on a separate meter for the air con; and it tells us on the bill how much it costs per kilowatt to run, ours is set at around 22. It has been up to 40 down here the last three days, and for the first time we have run the air con all night, switch it off at 6am then on again around 2pm as our house has double batts in the ceiling and insulation in the walls, power bills, most we have paid lately is around $290, we put in a complaint a year ago and got a bill down to $190 .
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

des might pay to check the manual for your AC as I know that if we ever run the AC of a night that there is a sleep mode that increases the temp by 2 over a couple of hours as people do not need it so cool when asleep. Vern I am not to sure if they made a mistake but I am on net metering (with solar) that means I use our own power and top it up with theirs if needed during the day with Energy Aust and last bill was 52.75 and like yourself all electric here just like the thought of only having to flick a switch to get anything LOL
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Des
    Yes we to are with Origin been with them a long time now.
    Funny though we dont have a seperate Meter for the Air Cons possibly you have what is known as the Smart Meter ,i opted out for them to install it.
    Anyway like you its been damn hot here too,worst its been since we came up here and as posted not been lke this here since 2007.
    We moved here in 2101 and its always been nice in the Summer with cool breeze but not now,seems things are changing all over!
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon if you are on a smart meter there should be a booklet with it showing ow to calculate what you need to know.
    If not suggest you contact your supplier as the cost per hour will vary depending on time of day you use the air con or any other item.

Charges now are based on high, mid and low usage, that is why they brought in smart meters.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not on a Smart Meter John as said i opted out of them installing one!
    Cheers

R697530

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast