Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Power Costs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Power Costs

Mmmm! Good practice or not i have been for Years ,both here and in Penrith Running my Air Cons well below that mark,and so far nothing has happened to any of the Units we have had!
    In Penrith where it sometimes reached up to the 40 Degree mark,i always had my setting on about /2122 and that ran most all day.
    Here last Week when we got those 36 Temps i was running it at 19/21 sometimes lower and so far all seems AOK.
    I like to feel the Cool Air not just the Room being kept sort of a level Temp.
    But we all have out likes and ways I guess,
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I assume / hope you guys that have air con units are chlorinating the condensate trays on a regular basis.
    The condensate tray is one of the breeding areas for the legionaries disease.
    The legionaries bug develops at between 40c and 60c.
    Vic

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Off topic a bit but a follow up to Vics post.I seen this headline somewhere and I didn't read the full story and I cannot find where it was I read it.The story was about the new build Royal Liverpool hospital,not sure of the figure but 14 comes to mind.The hospital was near completion so the water must've been turned on they now have to employ these people (if it was 14) to go around the hospital and run the taps to stop Legionnaires taking hold.There would be a lot of taps as it was individual rooms en-suite for each patient.For those that don't know the hospital was laying idle because the builder Carillion went bust.

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim, BBC ran that story during the week, also thy cannot switch the lights off for some reason.
    Vic

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Off topic a bit but a follow up to Vics post.There would be a lot of taps as it was individual rooms en-suite for each patient.For those that don't know the hospital was laying idle because the builder Carillion went bust.

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    water bye laws require all public buildings, e.g. hotels, hospitals, schools etc. have to have annual checks and treatments for legionnaires and it includes all outlets.It was introduced in early 90s and if I recall correctly was called Water Bye Law 30. It stipulates standards of cleanliness for water storage tanks, temp controls of stored water, insect screens etc.
    I was in corrosion protection business then (still am) and there was a rush to get tanks up to standard. Some of the water storage tanks in hospitals would have frightened the life out of anyone, for instance, dead birds were common and in one prominent London hospital, half a dead cat, no trace of the the other half.
    That is not a story, I was involved directly with projects all over the UK
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th January 2019 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    water bye laws require all public buildings, e.g. hotels, hospitals, schools etc. have to have annual checks and treatments for legionnaires and it includes all outlets.
    That is not a story, I was involved directly with projects all over the UK
    Had a great deal to do with this working for a major international company and hospitals Tony and comfirm all that you say, I did the Legionella Assesors course for the inspection of premises which was both interesting and scary at times. Some of the finds were truly frightening to say the least. Micro biology is very interesting.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th January 2019 at 07:30 PM.

11. Thanks Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't remember what year it was but when this legionella assessment first came up there was a huge infection at the BBC and I think the chief engineer in charge of the building ended up in jail that certainly brought it right to the front do everybody's attention we never had a problem with the cold water systems but we used to make sure that the hot water systems were hotter to keep the bugs out of the pipes the biggest worry was in heat exchangers for refrigeration and we used to regularly keep the chlorine levels up and in honesty in over 20 years we never had a problem
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    I assume / hope you guys that have air con units are chlorinating the condensate trays on a regular basis.
    The condensate tray is one of the breeding areas for the legionaries disease.
    The legionaries bug develops at between 40c and 60c.
    Vic
    The majority here in Oz are the refrigerated type so that is not a problem.
    With the evaporative house hold ones the water is on a running basis on the newer ones so not a problem.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Doc Vernon, Ken Norton liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3