Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S.U.B.O Archangel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default S.U.B.O Archangel

I am looking at my Dad's log and in September 1942 his log says," Notice of liability served on Master and Owners S.S.COPELAND per S.U.B.O. Archangel "
    I guess they were the Allied Forces but would like to know what the initials mean.
    Any ideas,please?
    Thanks
    regards
    Brenda

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: S.U.B.O Archangel

Fire and Rescue Sub Officer (SubO)

Above is an example only, Sub Officer
    may be an answer ?

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 12th January 2019 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ships Under British Operations going to the port of Archangel Russia during the Russian Convoys. WW2

S.S COPELAND (Br)

1,526 tons
    Built in 1923
    Sailed in PQ.18 + QP.15 + JW.54A + JW.57 + JW.66 + RA.54B + RA.57 + RA.58 + RA.66

COPELAND (Br)
    RESCUE SHIP, 205 SURVIVORS

The PQ series began on 29 September, 1941, from Hvalfjord, Iceland to Archangel, Russia, and ran until 21 September, 1942, with convoy PQ.18.

The
    Arctic convoys of World War II
    were oceangoing
    convoys
    which sailed from the United Kingdom, Iceland, and North America to northern ports in the
    Soviet Union
    – primarily
    Arkhangelsk
    (Archangel) and
    Murmansk
    in Russia. There were 78 convoys between August 1941 and May 1945,
    [1]
    sailing via several seas of the
    Atlantic
    and
    Arctic
    oceans, with two gaps with no sailings between July and September 1942, and March and November 1943

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th January 2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Soviet Union B. O.??

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ships Underwriter Board official. ???? JS

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Shackleton View Post
    I am looking at my Dad's log and in September 1942 his log says," Notice of liability served on Master and Owners S.S.COPELAND per S.U.B.O. Archangel "
    I guess they were the Allied Forces but would like to know what the initials mean.
    Any ideas,please?
    Thanks
    regards
    Brenda
    ###senior zzz british officer

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Union Cappy ? Maybe slater union board officer. I like Brian’s Soviet Union body odour. A notice of Liability could cover lots of things. As the owners of the Copeland at the time was probably the MOWT , it would really be their problem. The notice of liability could be for port and light dues. Was probably a normal part of the paperwork at the time. However can see how people would like to know. Think if it had been an official Russian Document would have been stamped with their own initials which was CCPPR or something similar, is what they stamped in British seaman’s discharge books every time I was in Murmansk. You were up there in the ore carriers have a look in the back of your book. Have you found that 3/9d yet, I also put in a tip as well. Be kind to Pat or she”ll thump you . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th January 2019 at 09:47 AM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Union Cappy ? Maybe slater union board officer. I like Brian’s Soviet Union body odour. A notice of Liability could cover lots of things. As the owners of the Copeland at the time was probably the MOWT , it would really be their problem. The notice of liability could be for port and light dues. Was probably a normal part of the paperwork at the time. However can see how people would like to know. Think if it had been an official Russian Document would have been stamped with their own initials which was CCPPR or something similar, is what they stamped in British seaman’s discharge books every time I was in Murmansk. You were up there in the ore carriers have a look in the back of your book. Have you found that 3/9d yet, I also put in a tip as well. Cheers JS.
    #####the only tip you left was take the caster of marys wooden leg then she cant run as fast when she goes for your wallet.....cappy

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm none the wiser !

"Notice of liability..." etc was served by the Master and Owners of American Steamship,"Patrick Henry" They claimed damage to have occurred during transfer of one wounded American seaman from PH to "Copeland", alongside at sea on Sept 8th 1942. My Dad wrote in the Log ,"No assistance was rendered to any vessel ,or Owner, or Master ,or Crew thereof , on that date." Signed W.J Hartley Master . j. Armour. Mate. (That's probably because the date was 18th)............ Below a copy about the transfer.

From Commodore Jukes Hughes RN. Principal Sea Transport Officer
    "Vessel was called upon to transfer a badly wounded American to the hospital on board, but owing to the attacks it was quite impossible to stop the ship, so Captain Hartley decided to run his vessel alongside the American at 10 knots and succeeded in transferring the patient in this manner- a feat that entailed seamanship of the highest order."

Now here's Dad's notes which will probably mean more to you Mariners than to me..........
    "I signalled No. 43 (Patrick Henry) 'take in your starboard boats and maintain steady speed and steering. Have your man ready. I am coming alongside. I needed one wire rope; in other words a ' wire backspring' leading aft from the Forecastle Head to be made fast on No. 43. Mr Armour (Mate) thought that the backspring would spring back and break with a jerk. My plan was for the Carpenter to grease the bollard from top to bottom and there would not be any jerking or breaking. I could hold the ship alongside on that wire backspring. Our ship's engines would be doing one or two revolutions more than No.43 and this would enable us to remain and to stay on a tight wire rope until it was time to leave.
    Having arrived opposite No. 43 it looked like they had carried out all the necessities very promptly and I began to move our ship very slowly broadside towards her and made contact easily without the slightest bump. The ship was quite steady being held by the wire backspring. The wounded man was carried out and was gently passed down over the rail to Mr. Armour and his assistants . He was taken to our little hospital where the Surgeon was awaiting him.

Finally from Arnold Hague, CONVOY RESCUE SHIPS p21. .....The man survived, it becoming apparent that he was the victim of a fellow crew member who had become mentally unstable during the air attacks, run amok and cut his shipmate's throat.!'
    That's all , folks !

S.U.B.O. ?? Some sort of Headquarters in Archangel - belonging to the Allies, I think. Someone will know ! Where is Hugh ?
    regards
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unable to help with the letters Brenda, but have to say reading that episode was one brilliant example of seamanship, ref Hugh, unfortunately no longer a member i believe, regards kt
    R689823

17. Thanks cappy, Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast