Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The 'R' in front of Discharge book number

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The 'R' in front of Discharge book number

One of my understanding is of the diagnosis of sepsis is that you take a blood test and it takes 3 days to get an answer but I believe there is now in the trial stage a new blood test that gives you an answer in 30 seconds

I think one of the problems with GP's is they got an awful lot of knowledge about an awful lot of things and they can show easily misdiagnose without that benefit of hindsight been there got that t-shirt
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome back Ivan.

Rob, Strathclyde University are working on a device to detect sepsis, they recon the final design etc is a few years away.
    Current method of detection is time consuming.
    Vic

3. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can also find a few who are NFI also. Four years ago I developed a fairly large red itchy patch on my leg, it was driving me nuts so after a week or so I went to see the quack; He told me to roll up my pants so he could take a look and that is precisely what he did, without leaving his seat, leaned around the desk, shrugged his shoulders and that was it. About 4 or 5 days later I am at my desk when suddenly felt really lousy (I work from home) and went downstairs, within another coupe of hours my wife took me to the hospital where I waited about 10 mins for triage, but instead of being sent back to the waiting area as I would have expected I was whipped straight into the casualty area and from then on the next 4 days were lost. Turns out I had sepsis and a chest infection. The day I was discharged a student nurse came to the bed and asked if she could read my case notes. She then said oh! you were a 15 score or something like that so I asked what that meant and she told me that when you are triaged they have a scoring system ffor guidance as to your need for treatment. When I asked what my score rated, she looked at me and said quietly - critical.
    That gave me the shivers I can tell you.
    Could this have been averted if the original doctor had examined me closer and maybe enquired as to what may have caused the initial problem.
    I put it down to mosquito bites which I acquired a couple of weeks previously in Italy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on lads, there is a medical Sub Forum if you want to discuss that sort of thing - otherwise please can we get back to Discharge Books - Thank you.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    Come on lads, there is a medical Sub Forum if you want to discuss that sort of thing - otherwise please can we get back to Discharge Books - Thank you.
    Sorry Chris, my fault for going off course explaining part reason for absence. Should have stayed hibernated!

8. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ivan no problem - glad you are back and posting.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting post "R" on discharge books. I don't know when discharge books were first issued as from I have read in the !9th Century, crews were issued with paper discharges which one would imagine were easily mislaid so a book would make more sense.
    I have my wife's late uncle's discharge book which is a replacement as the original was lost when vessel was sunk by enemy action in 1915. There is no "R" and issued by the Board of Trade.
    I have checked both my own discharge books the first issued in the mid 1960's by the Ministry of Transport and the second i the 1970's issued by Department of Trade and Industry. I wonder why the need for change.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One reason Bill was the conduct and ability was taken out of the newer book. Apart from voyage reports etc. was also handy for keeping other things in particular your NHI number. Income tax number. Certs number . Next of kin. It held and still does if you have , your past life story. At least to yourself as will be a reminder of good and bad times. Especially of that pub next door to Seafoths office, cheers. JS

13. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#38 John. Many a crew member met his "Waterloo" next to Seaforth's office.

15. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#39.... Always plentiful would be female mariners in there. Many a would be shore Bosun as well. JS

Remember one night in there , among many others, when the supply ships were 5 abreast on Waterloo Quay, wimpeys, Seaforth, Maersk, and many others. Come closing time they were arguing which boat they wanted for the night not by name but by colour , it was I want the red one , or I want the green one, or I want the blue one. There were more anchors pulled and laid in there than ever there was in the North Sea. Cheers Wonder how many finally made a career of the sea and got out the pier heads. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd February 2019 at 09:43 PM.

17. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4