Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CEO pay and retirement bonus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: CEO pay and retirement bonus

J.s.w. # 19

Rev. and results of three of the top companies in three different industries:

Apple. (Technology) Revenue $250 billion. Profit $45,7 billion. dividends paid to stockholders $13 billion, plus increase in value of stocks.

J.P Morgan. (Banking) Revenue $105 billion. Growth last year 4%, 15% increase in profitability.

Berkshire Hatherway, (Investment) Revenue, 6% growth, profits $24%

I'm sure you think its wrong to pay them salaries and bonus' in the $100s of millions, I happen to disagree. All of these representatives of the majority of companies expanded, which means so did there work force, all their investors/stockholders dividends and portfolios increased in value and sure there will be ups and downs in the market, but as long as its treated as a vehicle for long term investment, one wins, treated as just another form of gambling then one would lose over short term investing (gambling) .

These companies represent the main, the rule. Sure you can pick isolated companies that are suffering from poor management, thus poor service or product. The market in the form of customers or clients will see to that and go elsewhere, and the ill informed manager's career will be over. You may say, "he should worry with a pay-out of millions." It doesn't work that way, it's the trappings of power he would miss, A senior manager waiting at the baggage claim to get his bag, the limo to take him to the best hotel, trips on the Concord, etc. etc..

I have been there. The above last sentence described the last seven years of my working career...and I didn't miss it.

Remember, I was a galley boy once. peeling spuds, up to my armpits in greasy, soapy water scrubbing pots, scrubbing decks. Making it up through the ranks, taking crap on the way to executive chef, then a secretary and everything, but still long hours. Hotel management and all the perks that went with that, but greeting the incoming boss at the baggage claim and it stuck in my craw, as I felt like I was still a high price flunky. To the chance to build a company from nothing in a land were I couldn't even read the street signs (Iran) and building the most profitable overseas division all in three years only to loose it all in revolution. Promotion to Snr. V.P, where the president informed me he didn't like to leave home and travel, my chief responsibility was to put-out the business fires and make sure he stayed home with his family. To my final position with all the trimmings, and keeping it for eight years, having my contract renewed, and increased seven times.

When I left did I miss the power? NO, NO, NO? I had saved my money, I met the right woman and walked away from it all. We bought two back packs, a camper in Oz and dropped-out and travelled the world for just under thirteen magnificent years.

You see the trappings of power (power being relative) didn't impress me. On a visit to our Edmonton, Alberta, Canada office, there was the manager awaiting ME at the baggage claim. I told him in no uncertain terms that I was capable of carrying my own bag, getting a cab and going to the hotel and making my way to the office, and his time was better spent making sure the operations were running smoothly, the sales department was out looking for contracts, and profitability was being maintained and increased as long as it didn't interfere with our quality...that brief conversation went around the company like a dose of salts.

I sat and looked out of office window many times in Manhattan, below me the back of St. Patrick's Cathedral. in the distance the Empire State building, the address: 477 Madison Ave. the most famous street in the world for advertising companies...and I would pinch myself, was I dreaming, such a long way from catering boy in the M.N..

I viewed my personal working success as being against against a lot long odds. I had/have a fair share of intelligence, ability to outwork anybody and a modicum of plain good luck, being in the right place at the right time. and working in an industry were mediocrity was the rule rather than the exception.

I could walk away from it, but the unsuccessful titans can't.

I guess once again John, we must agree to disagree.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How long were you a galley boy for Roger. ? You can’t fall back on your working class background for your cause to achieve higher things. Most on this site have come from A poor background and come up swimming, but most like the population is not there to achieve big salary’s which I repeat are obscene. No we wont agree , you even implied many years ago I had communistic tendencies, when it comes to excessive capitalism maybe I have, maybe this is coming from a real working background and seeing how the other half lives or maybe survives in some cases. Not. Everyone dives straight for national assistance. These so called nets have many holes in it which the sharks of this world make well use of. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th November 2018 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we as the UK pay the Prime Minister £143,000 per year , 170 Civil Servants are paid higher , Industry much higher , Donald Tusk is on double that at 138% of the highest civil servants pay ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, crew on Australian ships were at one time better paid than those of other nations.
    This was mainly due to the Unions as back in the 50's and 60's up to 95% of the workforce was in a Union, now less than 12%.

Australian seamen, if there are any left, cannot get a berth on any ship if they live here in Oz, if so they must be paid under Australian laws which would add about 30% to their wage costs.
    If they have an overseas address then Ok they can join a ship.

As to payments, I reda last year of a footballer being transferred for $400.000 of which he received 100%, how about that?

Most of us began with nothing and still have most of it left.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23 Rob That and their expensive expenses and gilt edged credit cards. I just don’t like it when they have the effrontery to preach austerity. Couldn’t care less what their background is, it’s their morals I question. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th November 2018 at 05:29 AM.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#22.. should have said Rodney. Roger means affirmative in American. Same as John means toilet before Cappy gets it in. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th November 2018 at 07:49 AM.

10. Likes cappy, N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

####ref 26 an interesting point ..in south shields toilets were called the nettie or plural netties ....this coming from sailing ships times when the net under the bowsprit was used for seamen to do there morning toilet .....in our family it was always known as the nettie......and called so by most sandancers.....regards cappy.....ps in north shields they just crapped anywhere lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its just called the Dunny here. Must have come from when they were all lined up waiting their turn, shouting have you nay Dunny yet. JS

13. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and I thought they used the Jungle
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that would have been a good site to hold a CEOs party Rob. Did they have a Happy hour when you used to visit.? Did they ever get you upstairs. Next door to there on the corner used to be. The old mercantile Marine Offices. It disappeared years ago JS

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast