Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: one for the navigators

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default one for the navigators

4854902-6249813-Collision_A_Tunisian_vessel_carrying_trucks_rammed_into_Cypriot_-a-21_1539000432.jpg

ok who is to blame on this one , last Sunday in the Med

my understanding was due to Tunisian crewing the galley boy was on watch , but just nipped down below to peel the spuds.
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 9th October 2018 at 03:23 PM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: one for the navigators

Both ships are to blame, because the Stand On vessel could have avoided a collision by getting out of the way of a vessel that is Not going to give way, According to the rules, the Largest vessel in the photo had the stand on vessel on his starboard side so should have given way but didn't.

3. Thanks robpage, Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm becoming confused with this, how can they both be at fault when the container ship was at anchor....
    regards, stan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first rule of the road would be the first question asked were they not both aware of rule 19.At least it used to be rule 19, when 2 vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collission the one which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way of the other vessel.
    However another rule states that when the stand on vessel sees that the other vessel is not taking such action , she also shall take such action as best aid to avert collission.
    There Should be no excuse on most vessels of today as only requires a reduction of speed on most bridge
    controlled ships. Yesteryear where you had to commune with eng. room etc. for such engine movements was a different story , as among other things would be interfering with the chiefs paperwork and daily revs. For his fair copy of log book. I hesitate to ask how both ships were manned. Anyhow suggest both ships should have both watchkeepers weetabix licences suspended for at least 2 weeks, and they should pay 10 pounds each to go towards the paintwork being redone and touched up. Ali Akbar. Hope 2 weeks is long enough my brothers to get over your trauma. JWS. PS didn’t see that one was at anchor. Suggest then that the anchor ball is measured to see that it is not less than 2 feet in diameter. Maybe the makers of such got confused converting French to English measurements. If giving 3 wishes for British ships on leaving Brexit, the first would be to bring back draft figures to the 6 inches they were as of old, the second would be to bring back the barometer readings to inches, or if necessary at least millibars, and third bring back fathoms and feet. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th October 2018 at 04:11 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quite simple really, here in Oz on the road you give way to traffic on your right.

So that big bugger should have given way to the little bludger, simple!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has been reported in many places that the bulky was at anchor, so the ferry is obviously to blame. Original post was probably correct 'The galley boy was peeling the spuds".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did not notice the bulker was at anchor, should have gone to Specsavers, Unless she dropped anchor after the collision.

I had a situation in the FORTH,
    I was anchored on a tanker waiting for a berth at Grangemouth with the anchor Ball on the fore stay,, when a Navy warship sailed from Rosyth, she was approaching on my starboard side,
    VHF, from Navy ship, "Hey you there, Tanker, you are the give way vessel, alter course now. "
    Me, ....."Hey there Navy ship, If you give me a couple of hours to get the engines warmed through and on stand by, I will then heave up my anchor, and alter course, BUT by then you will have hit me and the resulting explosion will have taken us both out.".
    Navy ship, " Oh S*1t," It went hard a starboard , skidded round on one bilge keel, and just missed us by a coat of paint.
    There must have been 12 people in their wheelhouse.
    I then called on VHF to the Queens Harbour Master Rosyth, and reported it, The Harbour Master replied that he had overheard the broadcast, and they would be disciplined on their return.
    So it does happen to vessels at anchor.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 He could have swung on his anchor john !!! Maybe as Brian says he dropped it just before they collided. I did that in the River Plate but didn’t hang around to put the Anchor ball up. In fact had one leg over the rail ready to jump ship physically as well as literally. By that time had covered the 200 feet or so to the bridge front faster than Roger Bannister. Yes the rule of the road is similar ashore as at sea, a bit like which came first the chicken or the egg. Take for example your car is legally parked and another car decides to run into you. Whose insurance is going to pay out , and whose drivers licence stands to be endorsed . Same reasons apply ashore and afloat. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th October 2018 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

086994eafd19df93bd96efa03aefabb2.jpg

I wold not say the anchor was down but the press says

CARGO ship rammed into another freight vessel near the French Mediterranean island of Corsica early Sunday, causing no injuries but causing a leak which officials say is most likely fuel.

The Ulysse, operated by the Tunisian operator CTN, struck the Cyprus-based CLS Virgina while it was anchored about 30 kilometres off the northern tip of the island at around 7:30am, the regional naval authority said.

According to the CTN’s published shipping schedule, the Ulysse was travelling from Genoa in Italy to the Tunisian port at Rades near Tunis
    Last edited by robpage; 10th October 2018 at 10:22 AM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the ferry is 100% at fault as the container vessel was/ is at anchor although you cannot see the anchor ball hoisted fwd but it does look as if you can see it's STB anchor out with painted links leading from the windlass to the hawse pipe. The anchor watch on the container vessel must also have been down below peeling spuds as it appears they failed to notice the approaching ferry nor attempt to warn it that it was on a collision course with an anchored vessel.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast