Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Butterworthing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Butterworthing.

Dirty job but the O.T. compensated somewhat.

Any clues on the origin of the term?
    Duke Drennan R809731

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Butterworthing.

Butterworth was the name of the company that manufactured the equipment.

4. Thanks Duke Drennan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Butterworth was the name of the company that manufactured the equipment.
    Took me 50 years to hear that. Thanks.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Lewis McColl Guest

When ships carried Butterworth gear , hoses and spray heads were they always on hire? someone once told me the company could not buy them only hire them !!! any truth in this??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis
    Don't think any ship owner would hire the tank cleaning gear but when I worked with Ceres shipping, which were the Greek owners who started Seachem, because of friction between the Chief Officer and the 2 me engineer on a number of the Greek tankers I was looking after as a port captain, if one of the machines broke down, despite there being ample space parts on board neither of them would attempt to fix them, instead they would just order replacement machines at the next port, landing the broken machines to the makers representative in exchange.
    Butterworth were the original maker's of the tank cleaning machines and there's were bleddy heavy jobs with the machine bodies being made of cast bronze.other makers such as Dasic, Gunclean etc used lighter gun metal castings but all makers used the basic principles of operation. The machine half a small turbine in its body that was driven by the wash water, the turbine then driving a gear box that trotated the whole body of the machine through 360 degrees in the horizontal plane whilst the was water came out of nozzles that rotated through 360 degrees in the vertical plane. Lowering the machines connected by hoses to the deck tank cleaning water main in " drops" of 20 minutes or so, ensured that all surfaces of the cargo tank were subjected to high pressure water washing. Depending upon the cargo being cleaned the wash water would be heated to the required temperature.prior to the introduction of MARPOL regs that wash water would be pumped directly overboard leaving an thin oil slick behind the vessel, after MARPOL the wash water was pumped to the slop tanks where the residual oil would settle out to the top and the clean water below would be pumped to sea via the oil water monitor. Modern tankers have fixed machines in there cargo tanks as all tank cleaning is done under inert atmosphere so you cannot have the bolted Butterworth hatches through which you would lower your tank cleaning machines through.
    Chemical tankers, which is where I spent the majority of my time on tankers with were not much different as we often carried oil products so we're governed by the same regs as oil tankers but most of the chemicals we carried the washings either had to be discharged ashore or could be discharged direct to sea so long as certain strict criteria was met such as max. Amount remaining in tank after stripping, distance off shore, rate of discharge, speed of ship, discharge to take place via a specifically designed under water discharge opening that enabled dilution and difusion and also the category of the cargo.
    Rgds
    J.A.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gulf Oil tankers owned the Butterworth machine that we used , hot water and discharged over the side , We certainly never did every tank every ballast passage ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

10. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was only in one tanker, Shells Achatina, My experience of changing cargo and using Butterworth gear was it was bloody hopeless you still ended up Tank diving, That's the reason I only done one Tanker Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our ABs would do a tank dive , tank re ballasted , a lot of 50 gallon drums of float-coat paint tipped into tank using a chain block , frame and drum grabs , ballast pumped out , tank repainted , drums flogged off at $5 each , job's a good'un
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob
    Float- coat, that's a blast from the past. As cadet I can recall using it once as an experiment in the dedicated ballast tanks on my first ship. Don't know if it was effective though. Tank diving after butterworthing was my 3 rd job at sea ( after recovering from sea sickness crossing the bay of Biscay). 1 st job, scrub out wheelhouse at 06:00, 2 nd job, polish compass binnacle on monkey island, 3 rd job, tank cleaning for 14 hours a day including going down cleaned? Cargo tanks to remove sludge and sediment remaining. Can still recall to this day the smell and effect on taste of those crude oil sediments.
    Rgds
    J.A.

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    I was only in one tanker, Shells Achatina, My experience of changing cargo and using Butterworth gear was it was bloody hopeless you still ended up Tank diving, That's the reason I only done one Tanker Terry.
    I did two trips on the Achatina, last one was 9 months and tank cleaning with the old butterworth system was a pain for everyone. .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Rob
    Float- coat, that's a blast from the past. As cadet I can recall using it once as an experiment in the dedicated ballast tanks on my first ship. Don't know if it was effective though. Tank diving after butterworthing was my 3 rd job at sea ( after recovering from sea sickness crossing the bay of Biscay). 1 st job, scrub out wheelhouse at 06:00, 2 nd job, polish compass binnacle on monkey island, 3 rd job, tank cleaning for 14 hours a day including going down cleaned? Cargo tanks to remove sludge and sediment remaining. Can still recall to this day the smell and effect on taste of those crude oil sediments.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    John, Float coat was rubbish and I believe disappeared from the market.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast