Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tracing MN seamen

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Tracing MN seamen

Keep up the good work.

I continue to search but, much is what you have.

Hope a breakthrough occurs soon.

Regards,

Keith.

2. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Keith, I have photoed the BT114 that were on FMP and the printout I got from National Archives. The National Archives one is the first of 14 pages I copied by hitting Ctr + P on this page. It has the numbers for the ports etc, very useful. The Joseph Smith one's I used my phone to photograph and then reduced photo size with "Paint" so they would be able to download to this site. In the Joseph Smith 1835+ image the number 52= Hull 264= unknown and 38= Dundee ; in image Joseph Smith x3 the number 92=Sunderland 94= Stornoway 62=Liverpool. The 4 number ones in this image I think relate to ship number but not sure yet. There are some names of ships I think listed but not sure 100% what they read. I am posting them for others to look at and maybe decifer? On the National Archive printout there was one paragraph that said You may be able to locate which official numbers belong to which ship in series BT 336 so will be having a look at this. The Joseph Smith x1 and x2 are how I found his number 45898.

Cheers

Kathryn in NZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Thanks Kathryn,

I will look at all in
    our morning.

Regards,

Keith.

6. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally found connection, had to go back on both Smith family lines. Both Families at this point were Quakers!! Not something I would usually connect with Merchant Seaman! however everyone's beliefs are their own! Elizabeth Eliza's father whom died when she was young was a " dissenting Minister" , nice phrase they used for anyone not Anglican and his birth, marriage and death were recorded in regular records but also in " Chapel" records as their place of worship was called. Found out by seeing both Joseph Smith from Hull and Elizabeth Smith from St George in the East - Tower Hamlets baptism records and that of their siblings. After this generation everyone was Anglican. Not sure how many generations the Quakers go back yet, its at least two at the moment.
    You learn something new everyday as they say!!

Cheers

Kathryn from NZ

8. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3