Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Passenger ships from Ireland to Liverpool

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Passenger ships from Ireland to Liverpool

This is the family line and what I know

Alfred Maloney plus unknown spouse gave birth to James George Maloney possibly Aug 1871/72.

James George Maloney married Emily James Dec 25 1896 His father listed Alfred Maloney , Her father listed John James.

James and Emily had a tribe of kids starting with my gran Winifred Emily Maloney born Oct 1897, youngest born 1914.

The two lines back from James and Emily are proving difficult to put my finger on. I am hoping to receive some birth certs for these two possibly today maybe by Monday. Hopefully this will give me some clarification and direction!

Cheers for all the help everyone

Kathryn in NZ

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Busy weekend here, MN etc.

Should be back to research tomorrow,
    hopefully, you may also have more news.

Regards,

Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ancestry do have passenger lists, but you must pay to see them. The actual lists are most probably held at T N A at kew, theses can be viewed at the national archives in person or if they re on line google the national archives for the email address. the bad news is there are no passenger lists direct from Ireland, however ships calling to Ireland from abroad to England may well include passengers embarking in Ireland.
    Best of luck in your search
    Michael

5. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My grandmother came to Scotland 1906 from Dublin and Great-grandfather from Donegal in 1880s (both to Glasgow). Then, as now, the ships were classed as ferries. Passengers just paid the fare and went to anywhere they wished in the British Isles (geographical description that includes UK and Ireland). Post-Independence, the 1922 agreement between Ireland and UK preserved open borders and free movements of people. Then, as now, Irish citizens are free to come, work and to settle in the UK without restriction and with no need to register as immigrants (similarly Brits to Ireland). Superimposed onto this arrangement in the 1980s is, of course, the quite separate EU rules of free movement. UK leaves the EU in a year or so, so EU freedom of movement ends too. The UK government presently argues that the free movement provisions of the 1922 agreement should continue apply, but unfortunately the EU says no.
    The point I make here is that historical passenger lists from ferry movements within the British Isles, such as they are, would be of very limited use for tracing our Irish ancestors' time or place of arrival in the UK.

7. Thanks N/A, Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Steeman View Post
    Hi everyone, was wondering where do I find passenger ship lists of people arriving from Ireland to Liverpool? Does this exist? or is there some other form or immigration records I can source? New at this so not sure what is available and where to look! All suggestions most welcome

Kathryn in NZ
    Hi Kathryn,

Try Ancestry or a similar program some are free.

I you feel like giving me the information I will see what I can glean from my Ancestry.com account.

Regards

J. Paul Warren

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Kathryn Steeman;306610]Thanks for reply Vernon, please find attached a copy of James George Maloney's marriage cert. Married Dec 25th 1896. Father's name Alfred Maloney from Certificate.
    Also attached 1891 & 1881 census results from FMP. 1881 marked entry is only one in England that didn't have father listed as Mother was listed as widow. From this looks like the family maybe came from Ireland around 1870-1872. In the 1891 results sheet there are only 2 possibilities as again the others list father's name and it is not Alfred. No: 1 on 1891 census has the person listed as Horsekeeper, which ties in with what we know about him that he was a delivery horse & cart man for breweries and others. No: 2 on 1891 census has him in Wales as a lodger. Emily James is welsh or welsh decent still trying to trace her birth records. Hopefully something will be sent to me end of week. Trying to see whether he was born in UK, conceived in Ireland but born in UK or born in Ireland? His father's name Alfred doesn't come up in census records that I can see?? Have a look at the attachments and see what you think?? He would not have been in any forces as he was only 4 foot 9in 1/2 ( woe betide anyone that forgot the half! lol)
    Cheers
    Kathryn

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say I have James George Maloney's death cert, he died 1963 at age 92. So born 1871/1872 probably.

Cheers
    Kathryn[/QUOTE

Kathryn, All you had to do hun was walk into any boozer in Liverpool and shout ANYONE RELATED TO JIM MALONEY IRLAND...................... You would have had all your long lost relatives buying your drinks all night
    {terry scouse}

11. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Emily James
    England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

Name:
    Emily James
    Event Type:
    Marriage
    Registration Quarter:
    Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration Year:
    Registration District:
    Mile End Old Town
    County:
    London
    Event Place:
    Mile End Old Town, London, England

James Molony
    England and Wales Marriage Registration Index

Name
    James Molony
    Event Type
    Marriage
    Registration Quarter
    Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration Year
    Registration District
    Mile End Old Town
    County
    London
    Event Place
    Mile End Old Town, London, England

Noted on this record he is recorded as James.

Alfred not mentioned ?

But, others:

Alice Foster

George Frederick W Ray

Anna Dorothea G Schalk

Probably friends / witnesses.

Keith.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Likely, not yet definite:

Emily Jane James
    England and Wales Birth Registration Index
    Name
    Emily Jane James
    Event Type
    Birth Registration
    Registration Quarter
    Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration Year
    Registration District
    Stepney
    County
    London
    Event Place
    Stepney, London, England

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul Warren View Post
    Hi Kathryn,

Try Ancestry or a similar program some are free.

I you feel like giving me the information I will see what I can glean from my Ancestry.com account.

Regards

J. Paul Warren

Hi John,

I am certain that Kathryn in NZ, will both update soon and welcome any assistance.

Those that assist and help in the on site team with answering and research to assist
    those that enquire, would also value your input.

Regards,

Keith.

16. Thanks Kathryn Steeman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Everyone

Sorry for delay in posting info! What a confusion! Received a birth cert for James Maloney that matched date of birth listed on 1939 register i.e. 18/08/1871 . I know the person on 1939 registrar is correct as he was living with two of his youngest daughters and grandkids. Birth cert for James George Maloney 18/08/1871 has father James Charles Maloney and Mother Emily Maloney nee Ingram. They were living when he was born in 42 Alfred Street. Father listed as Soldier. Have ordered their marriage cert to see where this line goes, and also another marriage cert for James Maloney with another Emily late 1890's. This is just in case I have wrong marriage cert the one with Alfred on it. Funnily enough marriage cert with Alfred Maloney ties in with the Emily James as name of mother for my grandmother and her siblings? Plot is so thick it is like molasses!! Keep searching for Alfred whom I found was born 1836, yes just one year earlier than indexes start, and his family appear in 1841 census. He married Sarah Ann Flower 1857 but can't find him anywhere on 1851 or 1861 census as a family his or his new one. I found one listing that had him in a Beer house and her back with her mother I think 1861? Also find a list of kids in Bristol Baptism files under Alfred and Sarah Ann nee Flower, 3 girls Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Emily ( Have her birth cert) and then there is one more baptism in their names as parents but child not listed? Have ordered a couple more James Maloney birth certs which should come as downloads tonight ( it's already Friday in NZ) or Sat morning (ie your Friday). As they say keep on keeping on!! Hopefully find the link.
    Cheers for all the replies everyone! The info being given is great. Will update when I have further info received.I am using FMP and ancestry. Still finding Ancestry can be a pain in the butt for reducing search info! FMP is good have gone back in a different line all the way to late 1600's in Scotland! so happy with what I have found on that line I could do a highland fling!

Kathryn in NZ

18. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast