Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dartford Crossing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dartford Crossing

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    I am a bit surprised you do not have an E ticket system as we have here.

If you are a regular, or even casual user as I am, you have a reader on your screen and every time you pass a toll point it educts the amount due from your account.
    You can also buy a day ticket if you are a visitor.
    The system was invented in THE BLOODY UK so why do you not have it?
    We do have it John on many bridges and regular users have them and have special booths for their use. All these people who make these modern concepts assume everyone has a modern phone and is digit happy, they don't think that not every driver has a computer at home, or has access to a payzone shop, in London these shops are on Red Routes no stopping allowed at any time, similar systems in other towns also.

All tolls on the Severn bridge are to be discontinued at the end of 2019, but of course they could still change their minds

Lewis McColl Guest

#10 John they have that system I think it is called fast tag, try going through or over the Dartford crossing without having to queue might be achievable about 3am certainly not possible at 3pm. There are ways to get a reduced toll charge , you get mates rates if you live local also you can get a season ticket. The problem is the road network is so bad now in the UK the motorway system is falling apart, clogged with traffic and is dam right dangerous with the poor condition of the road surface in a lot of places. As a motorcycle rider as well as a car driver when ever possible (certainly on the bike)the potholes on some motorways are death traps. M20, M25, M1, M6, M56 & M53 are the ones I would use if head up from Dover to Wirral. I am sure John or Terry can confirm this. The Mersey tunnels toll charge was put in place purely to pay the construction costs for the Queensway opened 1934 & Kingsway opened 1971 tunnels. All I can say is they must have cost a bloody fortune to build. Some may find the attached link below of interest.
    https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/abou...y-Tunnels.aspx

3. Likes Jim Brady, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Lewis, yes toll roads are appearing everywhere now.
    All our major new roads are to be tolled, the only way the money can be raised to build them.
    Big companies build them with 30 to 35 year time line of tolls.
    But on the couple of occasions I have been back to UK I have traveled by the M25 to Southampton, well part of the way.
    It looks as if it is a permanent construction site.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 24th April 2018 at 07:02 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we left Southampton some 30 years ago the Itchen toll bridge had been building was charging I think in those days 50p a Crossing but once it was paid for it would be free I wonder if they've managed to pay for it yet after 30 years I would have thought so
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best one I read was Students down south pinched the plates of the speed camera van and kept speeding passed and getting flashed .

Bet the man inside thought he was in for a bonus .
    Ron the Batcave

9. Likes cappy, N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Warburton High level bridge over the Manchester Ship canal was/is a privately owned toll bridge. The canal company collects the tools and uses the income for the maintenance of the bridge. They have recently increased the toll by around 20%, from 10p to 12p and this is causing mayhem and even cases of road rage as drivers struggle to find that 2p coin in there pockets. Think the toll barrier is automated where you throw the fee into the basket and the barrier rises. Been yonks since I went over, or under, the bridge but regular users always had the toll ready,seems strange that having to find and have ready that extra coin is causing so much hassle though must admit don't often get a 2p coin in my change these days.
    Rgds.
    J.A.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2