Thread: Boat trains

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Boat trains

My wife is just sitting here reminiscing about when she was a kid how her mum and her took the grand mother from Birkenhead to Liverpool Lime St station. There she caught the Boat train for her annual pilgrimage to Lourdes in France along with hundreds of other Birkonians/Liverpudlians. What we are wondering is would this train have been down to London Euston? Or more likely to have been to Birmnigham and then onto Plymouth? What do folk reckon, the next onward train link would have been given this would have been in the early 1960's. My wife is a young slip of a thing being a 57 model. I think the likely ferry would have been Plymouth to St Malo, rather than Dover /Calais. Did British Rail have ferries on that route then and if so in the 60's which ones would they likely have been.
    I can just picture the scene 200+ plus Birkonians/Liverpudlian grannies and grandas along with several Father Ted type characters in charge, all on a holy booze cruise.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 13th March 2018 at 04:46 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boat trains

Have a look at the attached Lew,looks like St.Pancras is the station.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Liverpool/Lourdes
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Thanks Jim, not planning the trip just the Mrs was away at the weekend baby sitting the grand children so the Sean & Ida could go skiing. They passed close to Lourdes and Karen mentioned to Sean that her grand mother used to go to Lourdes every year and the conversation came up how she would have got there.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Plymouth to St Malo route was started in 1977 after Brittany ferry had five successful years on the St Malo Roscoff route bringing cauliflowers and artichokes across
    There was no provision for boat trains on that route the majority of boat trains would have been the golden arrow service which was London to Dover or there was a boat train in the Summer season on Waterloo to Weymouth which connected with the Weymouth to Cherbourg ferry I would suggest that most likely would have been the golden arrow London to Dover ferry across and the Fleche d'Or de Paris
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    The Plymouth to St Malo route was started in 1977 after Brittany ferry had five successful years on the St Malo Roscoff route bringing cauliflowers and artichokes across
    There was no provision for boat trains on that route the majority of boat trains would have been the golden arrow service which was London to Dover or there was a boat train in the Summer season on Waterloo to Weymouth which connected with the Weymouth to Cherbourg ferry I would suggest that most likely would have been the golden arrow London to Dover ferry across and the Fleche d'Or de Paris
    Thanks Rob I thought you might be the man with the low down being ex sealink cheers.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th March 2018 at 08:25 PM.