Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: gully gully man

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default gully gully man

was talking to my grandkids at the weekly visit they come from school for there dinner here last night and was telling them of the gully gully men at portsaid and the almost magical ....when the hand decieves the eye.. wonder if anyone remembers them ....it also bought into the conversation the flim flam man were they different names for the same persons who could make things disappear before your very eyes .....or even the fakirs i believe some are still about even today......whooooosh and its gone .....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: gully gully man

Was it the gully gully man or the Gilly Gilly man? Whatever he certainly was very good and if there was a wife on board? Then he would always choose her to produce chicks from under her clothing, no doubt copping a quick feel along the way.
    Rgds.
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy,
    remember the Gully Gully man well plus all the bumboat men with there boats painters tied to the deck rails on the "Oronsay" in 1963.
    Kind regards.
    Graham R774640

Marian Gra Guest

Good thread cappy My dad was in Suez during National Service with the Scots Guards. Amongst other things he brought back a thick leather photograph album with a camel engraved on the front. Couple of wall tapestries with similar, small barrel around 18''high sealed and the token watch which worked for years. What did you guys bring back that can be mentioneddbd22872-750d-4aea-93bc-4c961b1f08e7 (1).jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The camel I brought back marian, the stitchingcame away years later. The packing inside consisted of old bloodstained bandages. It went straight into the bin. The watchyou got must have been lucky and the cockroach inside making the pointers and the noise sound right must have had al long life. The Turkish delight sold from the bum boats won’t go into. The only good thing out of the Suez was the fairway buoy on your way out. Cheers JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##the same supplier my camel must have come from john ....a few days up the red sea and the cabin stunk ....camel opened up and bloodstained bandages .......also bought a perfume for my girl ..will never forget its name ....AROMA OF THE WADI.......when she opened it there was no smell just canal water i suppose .of course the one he let us smell had a nice aroma ...must have been from another wadi....ah them gully gully or gilli gilli men........guess they were all fakirs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Good thread cappy My dad was in Suez during National Service with the Scots Guards. Amongst other things he brought back a thick leather photograph album with a camel engraved on the front. Couple of wall tapestries with similar, small barrel around 18''high sealed and the token watch which worked for years. What did you guys bring back that can be mentioneddbd22872-750d-4aea-93bc-4c961b1f08e7 (1).jpg
    ###nice photo marion did he bring the camel home lol cappy

Lewis McColl Guest

The Gilly Gilly man was the highlight of the Suez Canal, That guy could have taught Paul Daniels a trick or two. Who remembers Jock McGregor the Barbar, He could be a Geordie, Scouser, Glaswegian, Cockney, Taffy, Paddy perfect accents lol, could not cut hair to save his life, number of times I nearly ended up like Van Gough lol, but his patter was good fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and george robey ....could talk any language and any accent of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many a time I saw him as well whilst on the Intermidiate Runs on the UCL Ships around Africa.
    There were all kinds in various Ports around Africa,like Mombassa,Dar Es Salaam,Etc.
    Good Runs those were with lots of actinity along the way!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Port Said. My third trip, on the way back to Oz, March 1948. Bought a leather patchwork seat without the stuffing, A big gold coloured drape that my mother used for a bedspread for very many years and an Egyptian produced copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover. That book went around the SS Moreton Bay and by the time it came back you could save time and read all the juicy bits by turning to the thumb soiled pages. Even in those days there was Jock McGregor etc and I only called out to a bumboat once and I got "Aussie". Went ashore once - that was enough.
    Port St John Westbound through the Suez February 1950.
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 19th January 2018 at 10:26 PM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast