Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: gully gully man

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: gully gully man

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    got a japanese tea set in aden den ...bet a few old hands on here still have one or the other regards cappy ....ps i conserved them lol ....cappsy
    Hi cappy, have a china set I bought in Port Said or Aden. You can see the China ladies head in the bottom of the cups.
    May also have got the same cig box. Had a lighter with it and played music. Cant remember what though. When dad died my sister got all that stuff as I was in Canada. Happy memories.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd January 2018 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Couldn't count on finger and toes the number of times I was in Aden for bunkers but never went ashore, I don't think the skippers liked any of the crew ashore as it was usually only a about twelve hours to fuel up. Longest was on the Wave Baron two days, we were shadowing the Gothic with the Queen on board, probably in case they run out of condoms or something, all the officers [RNR RNVR}were invited over for drinky poos.
    I did buy three of those tea sets in Aden, last time I was home my sister had one of them as wall hangings, she said they were too thin for having high tea on.
    Cheers De

point aden.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it's quite funny the amount of junk we must have accumulated over the years I remember a springbok skin from Cape Town wooden animals from Mombasa and I expect most of it got checked out by my mother as junk
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Den, you could have been spit on by an Arab, not nice at all.
    Yes the rubbish we collected.
    The tea set for mum with the Ghesia girls at the bottom, Genoa Blankets which came in a little attache case.
    Wall rugs from somewhere, think maybe Las Palmas, Las Palmas dolls for my sister, sheep skin rugs from Oz for mum.
    A small animal hide shield from Durban, only chucked it out last year, a camera from Suez along with an electric razor.
    Glasses from all over, any bar I could take them from, and a few bits of ships memorabilia.
    A load of UCL menus, an ash tray from the maiden voyage of the British Hawthorn, and a load of other bits and bobs.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used Suez many times on Shell ships during late 50's. Remember the Gilly Gilly man, and Scouse the barber. There is an English comedy film called "Doctor At Sea", in which the Gilly Gilly man makes a cameo and demo. As regards the story etc. don't take the technical details, ports, etc. too seriously, but it does feature a young Brigitte Bardot as the love interest. Alas, never happened on any of my ships!

Regards

David (Zig)Golding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    The Gilly Gilly man was the highlight of the Suez Canal, That guy could have taught Paul Daniels a trick or two. Who remembers Jock McGregor the Barbar, He could be a Geordie, Scouser, Glaswegian, Cockney, Taffy, Paddy perfect accents lol, could not cut hair to save his life, number of times I nearly ended up like Van Gough lol, but his patter was good fun.
    I remember my first trip through the 'canal' in 1957 on the Esso Canterbury. Once we had moored to the buoys at Port Said, the bosun (Alan Andrews) todd me to go round all the aft accomodation and to close ALL the port-holes. An hour later I found out why this strange request. A flotilla of pulling boats came alongside, stages rigged, and the local work force proceeded to paint the ships side. I remember that they were finished by dinner time, just in time for us to join the south bound convoy, and for us to clean up the mess they had made. And yes, over the coming years I had many a hair-cut from Scouse the barber??!!, costing 2/- or 40 fags.

Colin R684420

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Den, you could have been spit on by an Arab, not nice at all.

Glasses from all over, any bar I could take them from, and a few bits of ships memorabilia.
    A load of UCL menus, an ash tray from the maiden voyage of the British Hawthorn, and a load of other bits and bobs.
    John don't forget the riding whip with a long thin knife inside from suez ,the gondolier music box with the dancing ballerina cigarette box from Sicily the ebony carvings from west Africa the ponchos from south America , also flick knifes from B.A. Coconut husks with a pirates face including the patch over the eye from Trinidad , I collected things like you , solid silver knife fork and spoon set with blue star line engraved on the handles from the Brasil Star. A gin bottle with a ship inside made by an old a.b. from Doncaster Allen Gowling. out of old bits of wood and deck paint. And the Las Palmas rum pretty potent stuff once the bottle was half empty you could catch fire to he fumes ,guaranteed a big hangover next morning .
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th June 2018 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bought my first electric shave there.
    Cost me all of one pound, used it for many a year and still have it though it sounds like the bearing are well shot.

Have gone though about 6 since then.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also bought an electric shaver there , it was a Philips, cannot remember how much I paid for it but I think it came out of number 4 hold as did the other 25 or so shavers we all seemed to buy lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Denton View Post
    I also bought an electric shaver there , it was a Philips, cannot remember how much I paid for it but I think it came out of number 4 hold as did the other 25 or so shavers we all seemed to buy lol.
    Funny that but mine was also a Phillips, maybe part of the same cargo.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4