Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flags

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flags

I have a large collection of model ships which have various flags.

Perhaps somebody can help me with the flwng

Which flag do ships host when calling a UK port? - is it the Union Jack or the red ensign and does the same apply to ships calling an Australian port ?

Regards,
    Nico

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ros-maritiem/albums

2. Thanks Captain Kong, John Callon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, John Callon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flags

You fly the maritime flag of the country you are visiting on the starboard yard arm on the foremast of the older types of ships. If they have no maritime flag you fly their national flag. That’s if you have it. Depending today on how touchy they are, if necessary the agent if you have. One will get. Old flag etiquette if you yourself were not flying your own flag, were fined, today not too much attention is played to etiquette. Cheers JWS.

4. Thanks robpage, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The correct flag for a foreign vessel entering British waters is always a Red Ensign.

The Union Flag or ‘Union Jack’ is the national flag of the United Kingdom. It is never used by British merchantmen or yachts and may only be used by ships of the Royal Navy. The ‘Union Jack' was officially acknowledged as an alternative name for the Union Flag by the Admiralty and Parliament in 1908.
    There is no legal requirement to fly a courtesy flag; it is a courtesy.

Hope this explains it Nico.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Flags today and the flying of are not as serious as it once was. However saying that some countries where the old graft exists the flying of such is sometimes used as a source of corrupt income to personal income. I can remember in the 60":s going to Monrovia to load the usual iron ore, received a visit by 2 pompous officials dressed in uniforms and down by the head with medals. This was 5 minutes after sunset. Wanted to know why the Liberian courtesy flag was still flying and how it was a slur to their wonderful country. Wanted to know what I was going to do about it implying they would accept a small gift. told the 3 mate to get the flag down pronto, and these 2 characters to eff off. they were dressed as the harbour master and the chief customs officer. instead they went down to see the ch. stwd. to inspect his stores and proceeded to pull the place to bits, think he paid them off in kind to prevent any further disarray. so even with a small thing like flags there is still graft goes on. as ivan says about the food ships for the sudan, that was all graft. most foreign aid is seen it myself. as regards Brians dry ships, these ships always carried plenty of plonk for paying off customs and immigration especially in places like venuezla. the world is corrupt especially by people in high places, anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a false belief. cheers jws
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st January 2018 at 01:28 AM.

7. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first encounter with that type of graft was in the sheds in Dar es Salaam Harbour was rice that have started to sprout and was going rotten it was Marked , I think Uncle Ben's American rice t, he local charities wouldn't pay the harbourmaster a dash , because they didn't want to encourage corruption he wouldn't release the goods from the shed so thousands of tons of rice sprouted and went rotton . So much for Aid , but many years later talking to an East African guy he said what was the point of sending rice they eat mealie meal not rice so it isn't something they wanted anyway I think that sometimes with aid we get it very very wrong
    Last edited by robpage; 1st January 2018 at 03:02 AM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob we took one hold completely full of alcohol and beers to the Sudan. Why would a supposedly mainly m##### country require such. The near middle and far eastern countries have the old dash sustenance going for thousands of years and any of today’s travellers thinking they are visiting reborn countries of democratic leanings want to think again. I spent a week trying to get out of Iran trying to get a flight to Australia after the Shahs death. Was even asked for dash by the outgoing Immigration officer at the airport, which someone had to pay, can assure you it wasn’t me. However if hadn’t been paid may still have been in an Iranian Gaol, wouldn’t have been as fat as am today.cheers JWS.

11. Likes robpage, Ivan Cloherty, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

World deep sea John I developed careless opinion of quite a few things when you sit in a small town in Ecuador and you'll see a wedding where the only person wearing shoes as 200 people truth out of the church is the priest it makes you wonder sometimes how charitable people actually are I still work on the principle that we should provide relief for others but sometimes others won't relief and a half
    Last edited by robpage; 1st January 2018 at 03:17 AM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

13. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You only have to look at India to start thinking about charity. The UK and others pump billions into in aid deals. India buys warships ,has a deep space exploration program and also is host to millions of their own untouchables on the bones of their ass, and will remain so as that is their way of life and their culture. Although I am a big giver to charities myself am always aware of where they are going. Foreign aid is not one of them. Charity begins at home as far as I am concerned. A lot of countries todayare exporting their own diseases to others which is the culture of something for nothing. Manual Labour is indeed a Spanish worker to many of our own people who are quite keen to export as will then put everyone in the same straights and they can all slurp out of the same trough.Those who work and try to support themselves should not be penalised by their tax monies being given away to support aliens. That is my dogma and am sticking to it. Others think differently. That is everyone’s privilege. Cheers JWS

15. Likes robpage, Ivan Cloherty, vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

given three wishes to put the World to rights

i) get rid of celebrity culture
    ii) only have useful degrees from universities , no more Sports management or Media Studies
    iii)banish computer games

17. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

next berth to us late 1960s Dar E Salaam , a German ship was off loading aid , 10 ministerial armoured Mercedes limousines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast