Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Millennials in shipping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Millennials in shipping

Hello everyone, I'm a shipping journalist for a magazine called Safety at Sea. I'm really interested in finding out why millennials (people born early 1980s to early 2000s) want to have careers at sea.

Would love it if you could tell me what attracted you to the job, what you look for in a career in general and if that measures up to your experiences at sea. And also is there anything you wish would change or improve about seafaring? Finally, do you think you will stay working at sea for the rest of your career or are you looking to change careers after a few years?

Look forward to hearing your answers and thanks in advance.

Tanya Blake
    tanya.blake@ihsmarkit.com

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    john sutton Guest

Default Re: Millennials in shipping

I,m afraid you,re talking to the wrong people.We went to sea because we had always wanted to or our families had a seafaring tradition or there was nothing else on offer for a 16 year old lad.You are assuming that everybody gave a lot of deep and meaningful thought to the idea of going to sea.The answer to your final question is that there is probably nobody on this website that is still at sea.I left the sea 60 years ago.
    Suggest you give up on this train of thought

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya Blake View Post
    Hello everyone,

Look forward to hearing your answers and thanks in advance.

Tanya Blake
    tanya.blake@ihsmarkit.com
    ####with respect to todays sea faring fraternity i cant understand why any of them would want to go to sea .......cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th August 2017 at 09:50 AM.

5. Likes j.sabourn, N/A, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I left the sea 15 years ago and had sometimes had to near enough prostitute myself to find work in the uk. It was a matter of principle with me to see it out to retiring age. If you think going to sea today is a romantic lifestyle go ahead and try for yourself it is open to the 3 modern day sexes. Hope others give you truthful answers. Best of luck in your column. Regards JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th August 2017 at 09:27 AM.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to sea 65 years ago because I wanted adventures in distant lands, and certainly got a lot. so stayed for 45 years. so still carry on in retirement by cruising world wide.
    But today there are no more adventures for young lads, the shipping world has changed for the worse, and the world has also changed for the worse

We are the last of the Seafarers, The world will not see our likes again, . there are no more like us.

Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 10th August 2017 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I left the sea 15 years ago and had sometimes had to near enough prostitute myself to find work in the uk. It was a matter of principle with me to see it out to retiring age. If you think going to sea today is a romantic lifestyle go ahead and try for yourself it is open to the 3 modern day sexes. Hope others give you truthful answers. Best of luck in your column. Regards JWS.
    ####having to near prostitute your self ....it is a good job you didnt ......you wouldnt have got nowt anyway ....lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your Mary talked me out of it. See Brians got plenty of doubloons left. Hear he"s having another do at the Rex and the shouts on him. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th August 2017 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#well thats a nerve you didnt pay for the last time ......when you nicked her wooden leg and didnt give it back for three days and demanded your usual......you get in the apple barrel and i will be jim lad.....and no peeping through the the bung hole......she told me all about it.......lol cappy
    Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Your Mary talked me out of it. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

nobody ever tried to traffk Mary , they wouldn't let the leg into Australia due to the woodworm , and the infection , Cappy got her infection cured though
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 Now thats a good topic for conversation and not likely to upset anyone , did you know that apple barrel you were always hiding in was made by a Cooper, not the Bill Cooper living around the corner from you, but a cooper by trade, and that they had a 6 year apprenticeship. As regards the bung hole in same the easiest thing to do was to fumigate her leg and then stick it in the bung hole to keep out prying eyes. Your emu family out here is going strong and often ask about you, won't tell them anything without your permission though. Cheers JS. #9 Rob all he did was give it a coat of boiled oil, and the cat licked that off and died. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th August 2017 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast