Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Does anyone know ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does anyone know ??

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
    Brock's Mahanada had six days at Visakhapatnam in 57. We had lines of women with baskets loading us with manganese ore. After their shift they would take a bath under a fire hydrant. How are these ladies now that old age is upon them - poor souls? I understand Visag is much modernised today.
    In 1960 at Madras I watched lines of men bearing baskets of coal just like in this pic. Most were naked apart from loin cloths; some did not even have that to bring them modesty.
    I worked on a new petrochem construction project in China from 04 -06; There were 35,000 people working there at the height of the project and many were women who seemed to mainly be employed humping baskets of rocks, never saw them doing anything else. As regards washing, most crews would take lunch right there on the job and hand washing in convenient roadside puddles was the norm. Portaloos were scattered at random round the site and if you couldn't see one all you had to do was sniff the breeze; I never ventured into one as my stomach would start to churn about 10 yards away.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alexandria late 60s they were concreting the jettys where we were alongside. Large mixer with a cable dalley and self loading aggregate hopper. When discharging the mixed concrete they had a large number of labourers in a continual line armed with "dustbin lids" carried on their shoulder, running underneath the discharge shute continually carrying concrete. It was all done very quickly, as soon as the lid was full they ran up the jetty deposited the contents and back again for a refill. It was a very simple but swift operation, could not help but feel how hard a work it must have been as well as the burns from the cement splashes they endured. All carried out in the blazing sun, no overalls or shoes, only dressed in skimpy rags. Made me feel somewhat humble and fortunate.
    Last edited by Ken Norton; 13th March 2019 at 11:22 PM.
    R 800658 Kn

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is quite amazing how in some countries they carry out work in such simple ways.
    I have seen scaffolding made from Bamboo that would make any OHS person crap their pants, but to the locals it is fine.
    In Indonesia a few years ago I watched road being repaired, one small stone a ta time into the hole then some hot tar poured onto it.

Workers who have never heard of OHS and all they know is do the job the way it has always been done.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Ken Norton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Loaded coal like that in Calcutta in August 1965. Know date as paid off master and assumed command. He had very severs diabetes and doc said ship would be unseaworthy if sailed.

Loaded 9500 tons for discharge in Rangoon. Loading in just over 24 hours into 5 hatches.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3