Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Do you miss the sea?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do you miss the sea?

reply to kurutai
    yes modern fids are made the same way stainless steel. although I recently bought a fid and spike 2nd world war manufactured, old stock from the navy and they are the dogs bollicks
    tom

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

# Ref Peter Chard.... Peter have been in touch with a friend in NZ. Re. John Briand.. He was Master on a shell tanker believe in the Indian Ocean and was the Co-Ordinator for a burning liner either the Angelino Lavro or the Achille Lairo. Dates not given, but am sure someone will know more. When I get my new yacht will bring it down for survey. Just have to get the Lotto money first. Regards JS

4. Thanks Peter F Chard thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Griffin View Post
    I do miss going to sea but most of all i miss the company and the satisfaction of working and living in a all male environment, It always seemed so uncomplicated.
    Presume you never sailed with UCL then !!

Luckily neither did I

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John S
    Would that burning liner have been the Russian ship on it's way to cruise Doubtful Sounds.? I think something like Lavros.
    Cheers Des

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't really know Des, was just to try and give Peter in NZ a clue to the Identity of someone he says he knew. The info was given me by someone else in NZ who wasn't sure of the name of ship. I was under the impression though the occurrence was in the Indian Ocean but could be wrong. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep Peter, my partner and I were in that area last year and I showed her some of the places I used to haunt. Ma Gleesons was gone, The Snake Pit (South Pacific) was all high priced 'swank' shops, the wharfies pub on the front ( can't remember the name) was a chardonnay-sippers hangout. The wharves are all restaurants.

I also had a depressing then uplifting experience in Wellington. When I was on a Port Boat in the dry dock there many years ago, there was a big plaque between the two gates that told how this was the wharf that the American Marines embarked for the Battles in the Pacific. When we were there a few years ago, nobody knew where it had gone. I eventually happened to be moaning and bitching to an old guy in a newsagents kiosk on Lambton Quay. he was about 10 years older than god and I almost saw the light go on. He shut the kiosk up and walked us around the wharf and showed us where it is now. I was stoked and when we had parted, made a beeline for the Maritime Museum to let them know where it was. They hadn't a clue earlier when I asked. I heard a bunch of them took a walk there later to take a look at it and take photos.

Have you seen the Hamilton pub in Brisbane lately. I have. Enuff said !!!

Rob

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having been born on the south-east coast the sea was part of my life for as long as i can remember. Going to sea was for me; something i just wanted to do. I wanted to see the world, have adventures not found at home and basically enjoy my life. In my 6-7 years at sea i did all these things and more and have missed it ever since my last ship in 1970. There is no other lifestyle or occupation like it, but regrettably it has passed into history and exists now only in our memories.
    When you read all the post's about the famous pubs worldwide and their vanishing maybe we old salts should form a 'Sacred Sites' society and have plaques put up where they once stood. E.G Here stood Monty's.or This was once the infamous Pier Hotel.

12. Likes Keith Tindell, Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10