Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Epilepsy

roadhouse Guest

Default Epilepsy

Hi all

New member here. Ive been thinking about going in the merchant navy route. I'am 23 and have recently been diagnosed with a mild form of epilepsy which is controlled with meds. Would I be able to work within the maritime industry in any sector? or does anyone have info on the matter.
    i'am an electrically based maintenance technician since i left school.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 10th April 2015 at 08:29 AM.

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, cappy, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Epilepsy

Hello and Welcome to the site!
    I hope you will find lots to interest you here and join in with the band of Brothers!

As for you question,i do not have a specific answer on that and my thoughts are that you should refer this question to the Merchant Navy Department in the UK.

As I am in Australia and don't have the info on the contact there I hope that someone else here will give that to you!
    There may also be some who will know what the Rules are etc!

But for me still think the MNavy place will be your best bet on this!
    Cheers

This site may start you off on your query??

Careers At Sea - Merchant Navy Career Opportunities - www.careersatsea.org

What are the medical requirements? (back to top)

You have to be able to meet the seafarers medical and eyesight requirements. For exact details of the ENG1 medical exam (as it is called) you should contact the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, who issue the guidelines. They will also be able to give you details of approved doctors so that, if you wish, you can take the test before applying to sponsoring companies. Some companies may arrange the medical for you if they are looking to offer you sponsorship. MCA contact details are as follows:

Tel: 02380 329247 and ask for seafarer standards and certification branch
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th April 2015 at 10:03 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should imagine it depends on what Doctor you got to assess you for seagoing duties, will probably depend on supply and demand if anything like it was during most"s time on here, have sailed with an epileptic on my first trip to sea, however he died at sea, but was well known for the seizures he had, and he was passed by a shipping doctor. Another when I was mate on a ship was an epileptic but also had other problems apart, one being he had suicidal tendencies, he had just passed a shipping doctor on the Dock Street Pool. Another Pool doctor tried to fail me on the eyes, this was probably to try and get rid of me from the Federation who were folding up at the time. Shipping was always the law of supply and demand and open to certain misdemeanours when it came to medicals. For example the shipping doctor in Fremantle used to fail people on the slightest excuse so people went elsewhere to gain a medical certificate. Seamen are ordinary civilians doing a civilians job and are not in training to be astronauts. In more recent times have known people in the offshore industry with one leg and one eye. There are people at sea with physical disabilitys regardless of what the glossy brochures tell you. Best of luck in your endeavours. Regards John S PS It was common to see people on rigs injecting themselves for diabitis first time I saw was on a rig out here and sharing a cabin with 6 others, this bloke in the bunk opposite was injecting himself in the stomach and I thought I was amongst a bunch of druggies, until he explained the situation. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th April 2015 at 04:24 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Red Lead Ted, judith george liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roudhouse, I have met and understand your condition very well, And in all honesty if I where you I really wouldn't hold out too much hope. Regards terry.
    {terry scouse}

7. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Ray McCerery liked this post
    roadhouse Guest

Thanks for the replies lads. I haven't changed anything in my lifestyle, I wouldn't think twice about going up ladders or using a chainsaw. So in being such a mild condition that could potentially go away being 'juvenile' I don't have to tell the medical doctor!
    The job I'm currently in is probably more dangerous apart from it doesn't sway or have to ride out a swell hah

9. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roadhouse
    Just go to the MCA website and look up the Merchant Guidance Note of Medical Standards for Seafarers and it will tell you if your condition will prevent you from going to sea. It may be that if your condition is controllable with medication it will not stop you from a seafaring career. I know of a number of people with for instance diabetes who are still at sea. The only restriction could be that you would possibly be limited to near continental trade only.
    rgds
    JA

11. Likes Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by roadhouse View Post
    Thanks for the replies lads. I haven't changed anything in my lifestyle, I wouldn't think twice about going up ladders or using a chainsaw. So in being such a mild condition that could potentially go away being 'juvenile' I don't have to tell the medical doctor!
    The job I'm currently in is probably more dangerous apart from it doesn't sway or have to ride out a swell hah
    Roadhouse, As we both know, When you go into a seizure you are told to time it and record or make log I have a very good friend who comes to my house every week he has been Epileptic since he was 14 years old he is 62 years old now, And I have witnessed him having a seizure sat at my kitchen table, You can obviously identify with this when he comes around after say 4 to 6 minutes he has a smile on his face and has often asked me has he just had one. He has been picked up of the road in just about every place open to you where he has had a seizure, Often with an ambulance in attendance because not everyone knows or understands his condition, When you say a mild version you are either Epileptic or not, I don't doubt your ability to hold down full time employment my friend John did all his life, But he chose to work for the local council they understood and accepted him. But there was one job they would not allow him to do, Drive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For obvious reasons, This my friend is where I would question your condition as a merchant seaman, In any capacity there are many duties aboard ship even todays M.N. Where you alone are answerable to the outcome of any failings, Of course I also no this condition can leave you in your youth not unusual. But from what you are posting I take it you are older than 16 years old, Therefore I would expect your condition is for the long hall, That is what I base my assumption on that a shipping company I very much doubt would employ you as a trainee seaman Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Lou Barron, Doc Vernon, Ray McCerery liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello roadhouse, i am not an proff in that, but i will just post my opinion, as long as you can control your epilepsy with meds you have no problem about it, you dont have any seizure you have no problem!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi eugene i see you are a new member and welcome ...but find it a bit strange that the last post on this was in 2015 ....just wondered how you came across the post from roadhouse after all this time ....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would be nice to hear from roadhouse, even if he didn't make it to sea, people come on asking for advice, you try to help and never hear from them again, fortunately they are in the minority as the vast majority are polite enough to keep us informed

17. Likes cappy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast