Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Merchant Navy College Assignment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy College Assignment.

#49...That very well may prove of monetary value to a big company like BP with fixed runs keeping a shore crew going flying out all the time. On the average ship though they mostly don't go to those extremes, and should therefore carry no paint or chipping hammers etc etc to keep up with the idea of reduced manning, do they ??? not on your life.. Nothing has changed what I saw and is the usual way of saving money for the shipowner nothing more. The story about reduced manning has been going for years and is always in favour of saving money and not lives. People who work in the oil Industry have always known this and worked with it to retain their own jobs. The manning for a vessel has always been abused, and as I said I refused to join one vessel in the North Sea when being sent back to Lerwick to rejoin a vessel, I always asked for a crew list before joining, they quoted 1 seaman bosun onboard and this was just after the worlds biggest oil disaster offshore, they quoted me the minimum manning, and I quoted get stuffed. The company now belongs to an American offshore company. Just one of many incidents. There are a lot of safety people in shipping who only talk about it with forked tongue. The people who know how many people should be on a ship are the people actually who have to work that ship, and who listens to them,?? their attitude take the job or not, there is always plenty who will. Another example of this is out here in Australia where to my line of thinking a crew should be larger when it is working, this is not the case, the average supply vessel works with nine of a crew, however when bringing onto the coast or returning back to Singapore had to have 11 when you didn't need them, it was just sit around for 6 days for them and return the vessel. The Law is the wrong way round in most instances of manning vessels. I must say though for companies like Seaforth Maritime of Aberdeen if you were shifting a rig they made every effort to put extra crew onboard who were familiar with the job of the deck work involved. The less men on the working deck the better as was a very dangerous place and 3 men on deck was what most wanted to see, and had to know what they were doing. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th February 2017 at 12:12 AM.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If Safety costs money, Forget it.
    Brian

4. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, hope my message reaches you all in good health. Currently heading into my final month at college before I leave for sea. I need 8 more months sea time on top of the other 4 months I gained last year. College is tough, lots of exams in a short period and very little time to learn the subjects. The organization on the colleges side is awful also, making a very difficult time more difficult than it needs to be!

Anyway i'll be heading to sea again in a months and i'm excited however, noticeably less than last time. I'm unsure of the ship type ill be on but I reckon it's going to be a gas carrier or Ro-Ro/ferry opposed to the VLCC i previously sailed on.
    Plenty to learn no matter the ship!

All the best.

6. Likes N/A, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best of Luck Ben and hope everything lives up to your expectations.JWS

8. Thanks Ben Dennison thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Ben Dennison, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck with your new career.
    Did you go to Fleetwood College, ?
    It used to be the Best when I was there.

10. Thanks Ben Dennison thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Ben Dennison, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hi Ben.

Pleased everything seems to have worked out.

Best Wishes in this and all future ventures.

Regards Keith.

12. Thanks Ben Dennison thanked for this post
    Likes Ben Dennison, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Good luck with your new career.
    Did you go to Fleetwood College, ?
    It used to be the Best when I was there.
    Yes, I live just down the road in Blackpool so Fleetwood was ideal for me and the company didn't seem to have any problems sending me there.

Supposedly Fleetwood still is the best however, i get the feeling that the colleges are more interested in making money than providing the best education now.
    The class sizes are ridiculous and it's almost impossible to get 1 on 1 time with the teachers during lessons (if you are struggling) as there are just too many people to go around!
    I feel that most of the time i spend at college i'm learning how to pass exams, rather than learning and fully understanding the subjects.

Anyway, when i qualify i'll have a fantastic qualification which will leave me with no debt and £0 out of pocket so who am I to complain?
    Last edited by Ben Dennison; 18th February 2018 at 09:29 PM.

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Bon Voyage: Ben.

You are in charge of your own destiny.

Enjoy.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a house on the Quayside at Fleetwood, and I did enjoy all the courses in the 70s and 80.
    It was good then, they even had their own vessel , the LANCASTRIAN, that we used to go out sea in for the practical work.
    I last saw it about 20 years ago before the Freeport was built, looking very shabby and neglected, then it vanished.
    Cheers
    Brian

17. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#57,,, I found the same in 1963 Ben, so is nothing new. The classes you will find always cater to the slow learners first. I gave up going to lectures after 3 weeks as one lecturer spent the full lecture describing the quarter on a ship blackboard drawings the lot and this to people up for a masters certificate I just thereafter went and sat in the library and went through old exam papers. After 12 weeks which was when the dole stopped just went up to the exam board. I was lucky as had a cousin who was a Marine Engineering lecturer at the college and got a lot of his pre sea school exam papers to study for engineering knowledge and was lucky enough to get mainly boiler mountings. We didn't in the earlier days go to school to be educated we went to pass a certificate, all our learning was done at sea. Most of us older generation would consider the way you are trained today, which incidentally is very similar to the Scandanavian way they have always done, as putting the cart before the horse. However it produces what they apparently want in ships officers, so the best of luck as said. Be wary of who you choose as friends who give advice and hope you choose right to see you advance career wise. A good mentor is worth his weight in gold. Bon Voyage JWS

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast