Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Chief Stewards Info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chief Stewards Info

Home Trade Rules Differed from F.G. I believe. I don't have any text books left. Only a few handwritten notes, although when rummaging through drawers is amazing what turns up. I am not a very methodical person and when emigrated out here just threw everything into a container which arrived about 6 months after us, didn't put the car in as well as would cost too much going through the agriculture department which they are so strict on here, would have had to be minutely cleaned. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th November 2016 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Home Trade Rules Differed from F.G. I believe. I don't have any text books left. Only a few handwritten notes, although when rummaging through drawers is amazing what turns up. I am not a very methodical person and when emigrated out here just threw everything into a container which arrived about 6 months after us, didn't put the car in as well as would cost too much going through the agriculture department which they are so strict on here, would have had to be minutely cleaned. Cheers JS
    If I remember correctly John any vessel over 1600grt on Home Trade Agreements had to carry a certificated cook and a radio officer, under 1600grt a radio officer was not required but a certificated cook was depending upon the number of crew, any vessel on a Middle Trade Agreement had to carry a certificated cook regardless of grt, vessels under 100 grt had no specific requirements regardless of trade.

Most large HT vessels had a 1599grt when designed, this saved carrying a radio officer and building accommodation for him and also a radio room and associated equipment for him

You may notice I have 'Certificated Cook' rather than 'certified cook' as a lot of cooks I sailed with should have been certified!

3. Likes cappy, Captain Kong, N/A, j.sabourn, Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ivan. Remember the Radio Cert. They sent someone down to the ship on the first supply boat was on, and did it on the old 2182 MF set. Later it was the fancy Satellite stuff out here GMDSS. I took one ship back to Singapore called the Ocean Lion. When she was working on the coast out here they took off the Obsolete Radio and put a new one on board, when they sent me back up to Dampier to take her back to Singapore they forgot to tell me they had taken their own off and put the old one back. I lost contact with the shore the second day out, and as you know they have AUSREP out here where have to report into Canberra every 6 hours until you are well clear of Australia. I was calling other ships on the lamp and telling them to go on VHF then asking them to report me in, some musn"t have done so as when got to Singapore they said they were going to get the search planes out looking for us as had lost contact. I told them if they weren't so penny pinching and suppled ship with a working radio we would have been able to raise. Never heard anymore about it. JS

5. Likes cappy, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Contrary to popular belief, at least I thought so, a post I put up about Danny La Rue a friend of a Ch. Stwd. I sailed with, I always thought he was married, but apparently was not. So anybody who took that as genuine is wrong and he wasn't married. He was very close to one of his seamstresses but not close enough apparently. Cheers JS

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, at least I thought so, a post I put up about Danny La Rue a friend of a Ch. Stwd. I sailed with, I always thought he was married, but apparently was not. So anybody who took that as genuine is wrong and he wasn't married. He was very close to one of his seamstresses but not close enough apparently. Cheers JS
    At one time owned or was partner in some transport company I was told. Spent a lot of time caring for his mum as well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15