Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MV Waipawa

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Waipawa

I first sailed with a AB/handyman on one of the Baltic boats in 1960, don't know about others, kt

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have Never ever heard of a AB Handyman,
    The only change I remember was ABs being called GPs. which I thought was an Insult to a good AB.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds iike a cheaper chippie to me, save paying a skilled shipwright
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, i can assure you on UBC boats, i was on the Baltic trader, we had a AB/handyman, he did the usual tank soundings etc, i never sailed with one on any other company ships. It will be interesting if anyone else knew of this rank ?, this particular Baltic boat was on the Medi run, home port Hamburg, and nearly all continental crew. I was on her as a JOS, and having had the time in for my EDH ticket, was going to pay off in Hamburg, but the skipper said if i stayed on, he would sign me on as Sailor, which was nearly AB money, so this i did, and stayed for another 12 months, consequently when i paid off i took the EDH/ AB ticket, but had enough time in to go straight to AB, so i have a Sailor discharge in my book, but never was an EDH, kt

7. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Sailor !!! Donít remember ever seeing such a rating in the NMB book But have signed on people as such on non federated ships. Indian ships believe the word kalassi is Hindi for sailor, if wrong someone will correct. There were two grades to make it simple 1 and 2. The AB/handyman was on 10 bob a month more than an AB much less than a ships carpenter who was classed as a shipwright and was qualified to sit for certificates of competency both deck and engineroom if had the correct seatime in. On non federated ships you could more less sign anyone on as anything. Believe on cattle boats they sign some on as shepherds, wonít say if they were good or bad as that is religion. When referring to certificates should have said for an engineers certificate, all hands and the cook could go.up for a deck certificate of competency with the seatime in. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th February 2018 at 11:05 AM.

9. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never known anyone else with that rank either, but i took the money anyway. The officers were all uk on that ship, but the deck crew were a mish mash of everything else, most of them did not hold British deck qualifications as i,m aware. I had previously sailed on a South American Saint line ship , the St Merriel, that and the Baltic Trader i was sent to from Prescott st federation, and the St Merriel was the same, i was the only Brit among the deck crowd, mainly German and Belgian, Did i smell or something, and get sent on these weird crew ships one wonders !! lol, kt

11. Likes Captain Kong, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I donít know how the system was supposed to work in a case like that, but sounds very hypocritical because if you went away outside the federation on a FOC you stood to be suspended. So seems suspicious like someone was acting as a crewing agency which involves money to the crew supplier.
    The same as when the federation closed shop with their paltry payouts for long service no one ever answered my queryof how much the workers in the shipping office got. Why keep silent, is over and done with now so will be no comebacks. Or did they sign a secrecy pact? Cheers JWS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2